News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Women in science

Started by Dave, June 23, 2017, 04:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I am sure there was a thread were women in science (and the popularisation of science) were mentioned. Could not find it but thought that it was worthy of a mentiion of its own.

Cheltenham, just up the road, has cornered most of the local market for festivals, especially literature and science (plus cricket and horse racing.)

New to me is "FameLab" (though it's has been going ten years!) and this year's winner is Tshiamo Legoale, a young geologist who is developing a way to extract gold, and food, from old mine waste. And who is a bit of a comedienne as well.

On the popularisstion front here is the whole thing.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

FameLab is new to me as well. Thank you for telling us about it, Gloucester. The old mine waste she is referring to is usually in the form of huge hills, so when you fly into Johannesburg you see many quite high hills in and around the city. These are actually man made hills - the mine dumps that are often covered with grass and even trees. Many of them go back to a time when refining was less efficient, so now they can be reprocessed for further yields of gold, without the effort of digging it up again.

Another striking feature of Johannesburg is that it is very green. Some say that it is one of the largest urban man made forests in the world.
https://www.google.com/search?q=urban+forest+johannesburg&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT-_TFnNPUAhUoKsAKHXXEAeEQ7AkIYg&biw=1920&bih=960
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Very good presentation, she's a natural.  :golfclap:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey