News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Shots from vacation in Turkey

Started by Guardian85, March 22, 2017, 05:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Some shots from my recent vacation in Turkey.

My travelling companion in Oslo
My glorious self in front of the Efesus library.
And my friend who preferred the brothel.
A better shot of the library.
And a few more shots from Efesos.

More will follow.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

The loos were, er, interesting . . .

Good pics!  :thumbsup:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Very nice pictures, Guardian85.
Thanks for sharing them with us.  :smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Cool pics! Reminds me of stereotypical Roman architecture.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Thanks for the pix G85.  The brothel one looks disappointing since it appears to be mostly gone. Never mind the feeble humor, the pictures excite the imagination of civilizations long past.

Tank

Looks very intellectual and historical. But you still found shitters and tits.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Excellent shots! How are the Turks treating you?

Biggus Dickus

Very nice Gman looking forward to seeing more,...and how cool to be able to wonder around the amphitheater, and the other ruins. I always feel in awe when I'm around ancient structures and buildings where you can reach out and actually touch and walk among the ruins, try to imagine what it was like for the people back than.

The toilet looks more or less like the men's room in our local hockey rink for the Detroit Red Wings, otherwise known as the Joe Louis Arena.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Guardian85

Asayaluk Hill in Selçuk. Site of Asayaluk Castle and St. John's Basilica.

The basilica with the castle in the background.
Below the hill is the last column of the Temple of Artemis.
Inside the ruined Basilika.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Davin

Those are great pictures. I want to see that place.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Firebird

Nice! I was in Ephesus a few years back, never been to Selçuk though. I remember being very fascinated by the library because the second level is actually shorter than the first, but the perspective makes it look the same, a cool little optical illusion.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Guardian85

Leaving from Marmaris to go to Rhodes.

Heading into the Old City of Rhodes
Big ol' moat.

Grand Master's Palace of the Knights of St. John.
Knight's street
House of the French knights.

The Old Town is still a vibrant community.

They swear it used to be bigger!

-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

^^ Nice Pictures Guardian, definitely a place I would like to see one day. It's so strange to see cars parks right along side the castle walls...you wonder what the original occupants would think if they could look down from the towers now.

So is that supposed to be a copy of the Colossus of Rhodes? (Weren't sure if you were talking about the statues size or the you know...)

It would be quite the archeological find for someone to one day locate the remains of the original statue...and verify once and for all how tall it really was.

Cool stuff.

I like the moat too.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

Beautiful, thanks for sharing those.  By the way, does anyone else feel odd using the phrase "beautiful ruins"?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 01, 2017, 03:42:04 AM
Beautiful, thanks for sharing those.  By the way, does anyone else feel odd using the phrase "beautiful ruins"?
Never did before - now it sound like an oxymoron.

Thanks, Books!

:grin:

(An archaeologist can be defined as one whose career is in ruins.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74