News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

UK Holiday

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, March 18, 2017, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

My wife wants to go to Hay-on-Wye next year for the book stores.  She also wants to see Dorset.  Any thoughts on this, you English-types?

Dave

Been to H-o-W a couple of times and founf it fascinating. Got a little more commercial now, some of the shops actually dust off the books! Five years ago, the last time I went, the catering for visitors was a bit 2 star, unless you went to the hotels. Pubs didn't open until noon. But, not going flat out for the tourist meant it kept a lot of its traditional atmosphere. Found a great tea house though, local made bread, local butter and home cooked cakes to die for!

This all changes for the festival, of course, they have a car park that is nearly as big as the rest of the town!

Don't know much about Dorset but if you are passing through Gloucester on the way I'll treat you both to lunch at my favourite eatery and give you a guided tour.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 18, 2017, 10:48:42 PM
My wife wants to go to Hay-on-Wye next year for the book stores.  She also wants to see Dorset.  Any thoughts on this, you English-types?
You'll love it.
Or hate it.
You can tell us after you've been.  :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Thanks for the comments.

Tank

On a more serious note. Devon is beautiful. The thing that Americans often find frustrating are the narrow twisty little roads. Whatever you do, do not hire a big car! You're right beside Cornwall and that's a little more wild and rugged and equally as beautiful. What time of year are you thinking of visiting?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

OldGit

Hay isn't all that far from us!

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 20, 2017, 12:43:01 PM
On a more serious note. Devon is beautiful. The thing that Americans often find frustrating are the narrow twisty little roads. Whatever you do, do not hire a big car! You're right beside Cornwall and that's a little more wild and rugged and equally as beautiful. What time of year are you thinking of visiting?

And if you get to Devon and are into green things the Eden Project is a must!

It was built from the lunar like lanscspe of an old china clay quarry
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

I would love to do a road trip in southern Wales and around to Cornwall. But, to be honest, driving on the opposite side of the road scares the heck out of me. 

Biggus Dickus

Make sure you make time to visit "Anfield", home of the worlds greatest FC!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Arturo

Quote from: Father Bruno on March 20, 2017, 06:59:59 PM

Food court?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Arturo on March 20, 2017, 07:01:54 PM

Food court?

Tipico Americano...Liverpool Football Club, 
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Arturo

Quote from: Father Bruno on March 20, 2017, 10:44:33 PM
Quote from: Arturo on March 20, 2017, 07:01:54 PM

Food court?

Tipico Americano...Liverpool Football Club,

Lol
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 20, 2017, 04:40:58 PM
I would love to do a road trip in southern Wales and around to Cornwall. But, to be honest, driving on the opposite side of the road scares the heck out of me.
Have you ever done it?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2017, 09:53:30 PM
Have you ever done it?

No, just the idea scares me.

Recusant

Manual transmissions are much more common in UK (and the rest of Europe for that matter) than in the US, so unless you're prepared to pay considerably more for your hire car to have an automatic transmission, you will be shifting with your left hand. I got used to that quickly, but your mileage may vary. You can acclimatize to driving on the left--you'll need to concentrate at first when you encounter a T intersection. That's when you're most likely to choose the wrong lane to turn into. Another aspect of driving in the UK that American drivers will be unfamiliar with is roundabouts. The video below gives a comprehensive lesson on negotiating roundabouts in the UK.

You will note in the video that sometimes cars are parked along the street, taking up most of the driving lane. This is very common, and you should be aware that cars approaching you in the opposite direction on a street where this situation exists may be partly in your lane, and that you will sometimes find it necessary to drive partly in the lane of approaching traffic.

You can look at the UK government site for more information: The Highway Code, road safety and vehicle rules I got the Highway Code book and read it when I began driving in the UK--it's fairly helpful. You also might consider getting yourself a magnetic "provisional plate" to attach to your the back of your hire car, which may help with people giving you some leeway on the road when you make mistakes. It's not necessary and I never used one, so I don't know if it would actually be any use. You don't strike me as somebody who would be particularly bothered by people honking at you, yelling at you and making rude gestures, so . . . :shrug:

I also advise getting a GPS ("satnav" in the UK) with a western Europe map installed, which will help you avoid unnecessary driving errors. It will also help navigating through roundabouts because it will tell you which exit to take as you approach.

The learning curve for an American driving in the UK isn't terrible, and though the above may sound intimidating, it's only because I tried to think of the various things I've learned over the years. I didn't have a GPS for the first few years when I drove in the UK, and so I had plenty of adventures with wrong turns. Signs identifying streets and roads are often only a few feet off the ground, so can be blocked by undergrowth, traffic, or parked cars, which doesn't help.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken