News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinion

Started by Pasta Chick, December 21, 2016, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on April 24, 2017, 01:34:40 AM
I am flummoxed by some of the Brit humor. I used to watch Benny Hinn and got most of the jokes. There was a Brit series of TV shows about a department store and its manager mister Rumpole. There was a gay sales person and some others who were hilarious. I do not remember the name of the series. It was oddly entertaining.
Do you mean Benny Hinn the preacher

or Benny Hill the English comedian?

They are a pair of clowns, except one knows he is.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Talking about Americans not getting British humour. I was once asked by an American what a twit was. That took some explaining! And even then I'm not 100% sure he understood. Some concepts just don't translate across cultures.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on April 24, 2017, 06:41:28 AM
Quote from: Icarus on April 24, 2017, 01:34:40 AM
I am flummoxed by some of the Brit humor. I used to watch Benny Hinn and got most of the jokes. There was a Brit series of TV shows about a department store and its manager mister Rumpole. There was a gay sales person and some others who were hilarious. I do not remember the name of the series. It was oddly entertaining.
Do you mean Benny Hinn the preacher

or Benny Hill the English comedian?

They are a pair of clowns, except one knows he is.

I would hope he was talking about Benny Hill (My friends and I love Benny Hill when we were young) as I've watched Benny Hinn and never, ever found one thing he said funny, perplexing and confusing yes, but funny? (Maybe Icarus has a really weird sense of humor? Also would wonder why he thought Benny Hinn was British? (If I was British I would be some what insulted ;D)

When I was young I also used to watch the "Young Ones" on MTV, found the show extremely funny.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

My apologies to our Brit friends. I sure as hell did not mean Benny Hinn the unbridled charlatan preacher. I'd call him a thieving son of a bitch except that such an oath would be an insult to female dogs.

Benny Hill then.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on April 24, 2017, 09:56:03 PM
My apologies to our Brit friends. I sure as hell did not mean Benny Hinn the unbridled charlatan preacher. I'd call him a thieving son of a bitch except that such an oath would be an insult to female dogs.

Benny Hill then.
I guessed that's what you meant  ;D

Biggus Dickus

Hey!

Icarus's idol Benny Hinn is under investigation by the IRS after they raided his offices.

IRS Agents Raid The Offices Of Posh-Living Televangelist and Icarus Idol, Benny Hinn

What a surprise... ::)

Biggus Dickus

Here's an unpopular opinion, "I don't really care for ACDC"...not saying they suck or their music is no good, or people who like them a lot are strange (Ok, maybe that last point ;D)

I've just never been a fan, never purchased any of their music, or even considered seeing them live,...sure they have a couple catchy songs, and I think Angus is a hell of a guitar player, certainly have developed their own niche in the annals of rock n' roll, but they just aren't my cup of tea.

Sorry.

Please don't ban me :'(

xSilverPhinx

ACDC? That sounds familiar... :notsure:

I don't think I've ever listened to their music, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

I find Bill Murray quite irritating.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 15, 2017, 11:00:24 PM
Here's an unpopular opinion, "I don't really care for ACDC"...not saying they suck or their music is no good, or people who like them a lot are strange (Ok, maybe that last point ;D)

I've just never been a fan, never purchased any of their music, or even considered seeing them live,...sure they have a couple catchy songs, and I think Angus is a hell of a guitar player, certainly have developed their own niche in the annals of rock n' roll, but they just aren't my cup of tea.

Sorry.

We had a saying in my group many years ago... If you're over 15 years of age and still totally in to AC/DC, there is no hope for your musical taste.

Magdalena

Quote from: Pasta Chick on May 16, 2017, 07:51:50 AM

Sorry.

We had a saying in my group many years ago... If you're over 15 years of age and still totally in to AC/DC, there is no hope for your musical taste.

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen
She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs
Taking more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there
'Cause the walls start shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching
And we were making it and you
Shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me all night long

OK. :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on May 16, 2017, 08:04:36 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on May 16, 2017, 07:51:50 AM

Sorry.

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen
She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs
Taking more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there
'Cause the walls start shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching
And we were making it and you
Shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me all night long

OK. :notsure:

USER BANNED FOR THIS POST

Davin

Maybe it's because I have shitty taste, but I think that people should have their own tastes in things and shouldn't be treated like they are inferior just because they like or dislike things opposed to some people. Similarly, people are not superior just because they like or dislike certain things. I don't even think those people are inferior who think they are superior to others just because of how their personal preferences developed.

But I still joke about it. So I don't really see a problem giving someone a bit of a friendly jab here and there about their tastes, nor do I mind receiving the same. Unless the person being jabbed doesn't like it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Claireliontamer

One of the best guitar riffs ever.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on May 16, 2017, 08:46:00 PM

Maybe it's because I have shitty taste, but I think that people should have their own tastes in things and shouldn't be treated like they are inferior just because they like or dislike things opposed to some people. Similarly, people are not superior just because they like or dislike certain things. I don't even think those people are inferior who think they are superior to others just because of how their personal preferences developed.

But I still joke about it. So I don't really see a problem giving someone a bit of a friendly jab here and there about their tastes, nor do I mind receiving the same. Unless the person being jabbed doesn't like it.

I agree, just so long as they do not drive slowly in residential areas, late at night, playing their "taste" in thumpity-thump-thump type techno-generated (or any kind if it comes to that) so-called music, at flat out volume, with the car windows open.

In such cases I feel justified in considering them "homo-inferior", an annoying sub-species.

:rant1:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74