News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Let's sit around the virtual camp fire and share scary bible stories.

Started by MatureMcLeod, October 21, 2016, 03:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatureMcLeod

So Halloween is in 10 days and I thought we would celebrate this occasion by sitting around the virtual camp fire and share some scary bible verses. The Bible is more scary than any horror film you will ever watch. I will start first...

(Psalms 137:9) Blessed is he who takes your little babies and dashes them against the rocks.

Isn't it so spooky? What terrifies me the most is that I seen adult brain-dead believers willing to say it's perfectly reasonable because God said so and they are willing to teach it to their children. It haunts me to this day. Share some more if you dare.

No one

Fiction is fiction, I for one would like to hear some real life ghost encounters.

Icarus

The tales in the Uncle Remus stories or Aesops Fables are not only equivalent to the bible stories but more entertaining and informative. The scary stories of the Bible are too much "off the deep end" to carry much interest for rational readers. .......But then again it might be fun around the campfire. 

No one

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: No one on October 21, 2016, 04:56:45 PM
Fiction is fiction, I for one would like to hear some real life ghost encounters.

I saw a classic "white lady" once, but it was late at night and my eyesight sucks so I don't put much stock in my own experience.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Should have a few Qur'ans in it; that heats the world right up like global warming could not even dream of.  8)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

I don't have any real ghost stories. I wish I did.

My house is 260 years old. Everyone keeps telling me it's haunted... because being old makes you haunted, I guess. I found out the inventor of the lock stitch sewing machine lived here, so I put out a bunch of needles and cloth and a sewing machine, but nothing ever happened. Too bad. Could have been so interesting.

Recusant

I'd say that stories in the Bible are more often nausea-inducing than scary. Those tales are the residue of a blood-thirsty culture that's long extinct. Its progeny have moved on, though something of the repugnant ideology survives, manifested in various aspects of modern cultures. See for instance the infamous example of William Lane Craig "justifying" genocide, as related in the Old Testament.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Great times when I was a young kid and believed in ghosts and boogeymen.  :tellmemore:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dragonia

Mature McLeod,  as much as I love a good campfire, sitting around it, swapping tall tales, thinking about the future, or the cute guy next to me, or how deep space is....
Yes, as much as I love that, Bible doesn't enter into my enjoyment one iota. In fact, it would try to ruin a perfectly good campfire experience. Because you see, I spent years and years of my life in a near constant state of religion induced fear. My days and nights were infused with terror. Thanks All Loving God!
So I'm sure you will understand when I decline to participate in your fiery scare session. And I will understand that you are still working through this residual fear and maybe figuring out what's true and fiction. May you find the peace and freedom that your heart so deeply desires.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dragonia on October 24, 2016, 09:01:45 PM
Mature McLeod,  as much as I love a good campfire, sitting around it, swapping tall tales, thinking about the future, or the cute guy next to me, or how deep space is....
Yes, as much as I love that, Bible doesn't enter into my enjoyment one iota. In fact, it would try to ruin a perfectly good campfire experience. Because you see, I spent years and years of my life in a near constant state of religion induced fear. My days and nights were infused with terror. Thanks All Loving God!
So I'm sure you will understand when I decline to participate in your fiery scare session. And I will understand that you are still working through this residual fear and maybe figuring out what's true and fiction. May you find the peace and freedom that your heart so deeply desires.

Deuteronomy7:3-4 and 2Corinthians6:14-18 banging on about being unequally yoked and the anger of the Lord being kindled against you and the unbeliever being unclean affected me so much that, looking back, I was permanently terrrified, perhaps to the point of being mentally unstable. That's all in the past now and the bible is consigned to my history. 🙂 I like the idea of spooky, psychological thriller stories round e camp fire though I don't know any.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Recusant

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 24, 2016, 11:25:24 PM
Deuteronomy7:3-4 and 2Corinthians6:14-18 banging on about being unequally yoked and the anger of the Lord being kindled against you and the unbeliever being unclean affected me so much that, looking back, I was permanently terrrified, perhaps to the point of being mentally unstable. That's all in the past now and the bible is consigned to my history. . . .

It was merde like that, and similar passages, that raised my hackles as a child. It sounded like hate to me, and my reaction was to hate right back. I wanted no part of it. Being one of the designated pariahs at the Catholic school I attended only served to cement my atheism, overlaid with an unhealthy burden of hatred and disgust. I've broken though the hatred in the subsequent decades, but I think I will always sympathize with those who have yet to shed that burden.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dragonia

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 24, 2016, 11:25:24 PM
.... I was permanently terrrified, perhaps to the point of being mentally unstable....
Yes.... I think so. Me too.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)