News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Quantum Theory Experiment Said to Prove ‘Spooky’ Interactions

Started by Tom62, October 21, 2015, 08:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Well this article has nothing to do with Halloween, but it sure is spooky on a quantum level.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Recusant

Interesting story. I appreciate the fact that the author didn't try to get too sensational, nor indulge in unwarranted speculation. Thank you for posting it, Tom62:)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

A further explanation of the experiment that may help us non-physicists get a slightly better grasp of its significance, and what actually occurred:

"The universe really is weird: a landmark quantum experiment has finally proved it so" | The Conversation

This piece doesn't mention the "third loophole" that is described in the article from The New York Times linked in the OP, but does go into the mechanics of it in a bit more detail.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Lawrence Krauss has a piece on this experiment as well: "Tangled Up in Entanglement" | The New Yorker

It's a good examination of the ideas behind the experiment, and some implications. He includes a link to a piece by Marilynne Robinson. I admit that as far as I know I haven't read anything by her before. She's won a Pulitzer prize, so at least some knowledgeable people consider her work admirable; I found myself disagreeing with her more and more the further I read. It's an interesting essay, though only tangentially related to this topic.
— H. L. Mencken

solidsquid

I've had some pretty spooky interactions myself...then I got divorced...

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74