News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

It's predicted to hit 120°f tomorrow.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Claireliontamer

Dave

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 19, 2017, 06:08:35 PM
Quote from: Davin on June 19, 2017, 04:05:54 PM
It's predicted to hit 120°f tomorrow.

I think I'd melt.

Been on airfield guard duty, in Bahrein, in 140oF, at 98%RH, and the polish on my boots did melt! So did the asphalt in places, they had to brush sand over and into it and lay down boards. Luckily, for the vehicles and aircraft, the important bits were concrete.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Meanwhile, in southern Brazil temperatures are dropping.

Last night I felt like my feet were going to freeze. I wore double socks but to no avail...

It's not as cold as it gets in some parts of the northern hemisphere, but I don't have heating.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Claireliontamer

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 19, 2017, 11:40:31 PM

Last night I felt like my feet were going to freeze. I wore double socks but to no avail...

It's not as cold as it gets in some parts of the northern hemisphere, but I don't have heating.

What's the range of temperatures you get there?

Dave

Another day at 30oC here.

This is just not British!

Though, a little thundery rain is predicted later, more like the summers I am used to.

Claireliontamer

The weather is so hot here in the UK it is causing the Welsh Dragons to prematurely hatch. 

Dave

It's 9pm, all the windows are open, the fan is going flat out (not that that makes a difference to the ambient temp), all the little floats in my "Gallileo" thermometer are at the bottom for the first time since I bought it (4 years ago) and I am melting.

The thermometer is reading 30.5oC, no idea what the humidity is but it's very sticky. Forecast thundery showers did not appear. I'd sleep in the fridge if it was big enough!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 20, 2017, 08:50:39 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 19, 2017, 11:40:31 PM

What's the range of temperatures you get there?

Here's the Wikipedia entry for the city of Porto Alegre,capital of the southernmost state of Rio Grande do Sul. For some reason I am unable to copy the image link address and paste it here. :notsure:

As I said previously, it's not as harsh as winter in some parts of the northern hemisphere, but our infrastructure is worse. Right now it's 13 degrees Celsius, I'm indoors and it feels like it's around there.

Icarus

Not unexpectedly for central Florida, the daytime temps are running from 80 to 90F. Late afternoon brings wicked rainstorms with attendant high winds. At those times the temp may drop into the low 70s.

Yesterday I was seeing my young Lithuanian house guest off at the Orlando airport.  After seeing him off, sure as hell when we got on the shuttle bus to the parking area, the sky began to fall.  A positive deluvian event took place and when the bus dropped us at canopy D, there was damned little the simple sun shade canopy could do to protect friend wife from the driving rain. .... It was my responsibility to fetch the car that was parked some 200 yards  away in a storm of epic proportion.  I was a soggy hero but I did get the car and we departed the parking lot. The rain made driving most challenging. Low visibility and dumb fuck, reckless, speeding, drivers in this incredibly high trafficked area made the adventure less than fun.

By the grace of the FSM we did make it the 60 miles home from that damned airport.  The adjective damned is a mild one. There are at least five thousand parking spaces in two  covered multistory garages at that airport.  All those spaces are routinely filled and so one must resort to remote parking where there are another five thousand places to park.....alll for money you should note.  The remote areas are well served by an admirably efficient shuttle bus service to and from the remote areas.

My most sincere advice to any of my esteemed HAF colleagues is to avoid Orlando International airport no matter how much your children need to experience the DisneyWorld thing. Truth to tell the weather is not always bad. It is a bitch at this time of year but the daily thunder and rain storms usually abate in Mid July.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on June 23, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
Not unexpectedly for central Florida, the daytime temps are running from 80 to 90F. Late afternoon brings wicked rainstorms with attendant high winds. At those times the temp may drop into the low 70s.

Yesterday I was seeing my young Lithuanian house guest off at the Orlando airport.  After seeing him off, sure as hell when we got on the shuttle bus to the parking area, the sky began to fall.  A positive deluvian event took place and when the bus dropped us at canopy D, there was damned little the simple sun shade canopy could do to protect friend wife from the driving rain. .... It was my responsibility to fetch the car that was parked some 200 yards  away in a storm of epic proportion.  I was a soggy hero but I did get the car and we departed the parking lot. The rain made driving most challenging. Low visibility and dumb fuck, reckless, speeding, drivers in this incredibly high trafficked area made the adventure less than fun.

By the grace of the FSM we did make it the 60 miles home from that damned airport.  The adjective damned is a mild one. There are at least five thousand parking spaces in two  covered multistory garages at that airport.  All those spaces are routinely filled and so one must resort to remote parking where there are another five thousand places to park.....alll for money you should note.  The remote areas are well served by an admirably efficient shuttle bus service to and from the remote areas.

My most sincere advice to any of my esteemed HAF colleagues is to avoid Orlando International airport no matter how much your children need to experience the DisneyWorld thing. Truth to tell the weather is not always bad. It is a bitch at this time of year but the daily thunder and rain storms usually abate in Mid July.

Nice recount of your experience Icarus, and I salute you for braving the downpour and allowing yourself to get drenched,...I myself got drenched last evening as well. Left the gym after my workout and of course my car was at the farthest point from the door as it could be as the club was crowded when I arrived earlier.
Then when I arrived at home because of the road and sewer work being done on my street I had to park several houses down, and across the street from my home.
I walked in the front door dripping, and had to practically undress right there.

This brought to mind an experiment I had read about some time ago, whether it was better to run for cover during a downpour or walk. Last night there were two other gentlemen departing the gym at the same time as I and they chose to sprint to their cars, I thinking it wiser to walk quickly did so.
The thought is this, if you run during a downpour the movement of your body through the rain actually exposes your body to more water...I'm thinking that I should have just grabbed the umbrella from my car (Forgot I had it) ::)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Huh. I always walked in the rain because I don't really care that much.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Weather's gone crazy. It's 24 degrees Celsius. It's like Summer within Winter, a season within a season.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Davin on June 23, 2017, 02:53:13 PM
Huh. I always walked in the rain because I don't really care that much.

:postoday:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

They said it was going to rain at 9 am. It's almost 11 and still nothing.

Either the weather's getting more chaotic and difficult to predict or metrologistas are unlearning how to do their job properly. They miss more than they hit.