Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Punishing puns!
« Last Post by Tank on May 29, 2017, 10:52:03 PM »
And remember. . . Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Politics / Re: Political picture dump
« Last Post by Tank on May 29, 2017, 10:47:01 PM »
What the fuck is he doing?
Nothing. It's not real. Look at Trumps cuffs.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last Post by xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2017, 08:55:13 PM »
I'm basically screwed. Too much to do, not enough time. :sad sigh:

Sleep...pffft.
Ask HAF / Re: What Good Is Science?
« Last Post by xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »
^ I'd bet most did not read it which, I think, is a sad reality.
Though I would not out it in quite the terms Arturo has I do tend towards looking after your future interests first.

Yeah, which is why I've already chosen to go with the second middle name. If he opposes my decision I would like to tell him to fuck off, though more...amiably.   

One though, are surnames in your culture ever "double barrelled"? A hyphen between your second middle name and surname?

:notsure: I'm not sure, though I don't recall ever seeing one. The logic is the same I guess (joining mother's and father's name) but it's not generally hyphenated.
Be the first, set a trend!

The use of "y" in Spanish, "Mendoza y Saragosa" an equivalent to the hyphen, is there an equivalent in Portugeuse? I know it is an aristocratic archaism now in Spain but, wtf!

Heh. Set a trend...I like that. :tellmemore:

:P I don't know,I don't really pay attention to that kind of thing. Maybe in Portugal there might be an "e" connecting some surnames but I don't remember seeing any such construction in Brazil. Here middle names are generally the mother's maiden name and surnames are the father's but there are no hyphens or "e"s.   
Though I would not out it in quite the terms Arturo has I do tend towards looking after your future interests first.

Yeah, which is why I've already chosen to go with the second middle name. If he opposes my decision I would like to tell him to fuck off, though more...amiably.   

One though, are surnames in your culture ever "double barrelled"? A hyphen between your second middle name and surname?

:notsure: I'm not sure, though I don't recall ever seeing one. The logic is the same I guess (joining mother's and father's name) but it's not generally hyphenated.
Be the first, set a trend!

The use of "y" in Spanish, "Mendoza y Saragosa" an equivalent to the hyphen, is there an equivalent in Portugeuse? I know it is an aristocratic archaism now in Spain but, wtf!
Don't care about your father. Your father isn't important. You and your career are important. Fuck your father.

Ask HAF / Re: What Good Is Science?
« Last Post by Gloucester on May 29, 2017, 08:21:12 PM »
xSP wrote:
Imagine such a person in the position of policymaker?

A while ago there was a bit of a campaign in this country to get our MPs to make policy decisions based on logic and science rather than political expediency (oh foolish naive us!)

To this end we all had a copy of, "The Geek Manifesto" sent to our MPs - all 600 odd of them.

I was told my copy had been sent but never heard another thing about it, no press release by the author or publisher, no note from my MP acknowledging receipt... Certainly no evidence that any policy maker even read the book.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: What are you Eating right now?
« Last Post by Arturo on May 29, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »
Gatorade
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10