News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Why Creationism Shouldn't Be Taught in Schools

Started by Squid, January 21, 2010, 01:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Adrian Simmons"Not at all, they're taught all the basic subjects very well just like in any other school. If not I'd move them to a better one. In life they're going to meet people with many varied points of view. I went to a religious school myself and I turned out ok. I'm sure they'll be fine.

I don't doubt they'll be fine.  Hopefully they'll go to college since that's where real education begins anyway.  I agree that making sure your kids are good people is an important part of being a parent and as a parent, I don't judge your choices in accomplishing that.  You seem cool, they'll be cool too.  :D
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Adrian Simmons

Quote from: "pinkocommie"
Quote from: "Adrian Simmons"Not at all, they're taught all the basic subjects very well just like in any other school. If not I'd move them to a better one. In life they're going to meet people with many varied points of view. I went to a religious school myself and I turned out ok. I'm sure they'll be fine.

I don't doubt they'll be fine.  Hopefully they'll go to college since that's where real education begins anyway.  I agree that making sure your kids are good people is an important part of being a parent and as a parent, I don't judge your choices in accomplishing that.  You seem cool, they'll be cool too.  :D

Haha, the university of life. I don't care what anyone says, I think it starts in the womb.

TheJackel

Creationism is impossible actually.. There is a very deep problem with the Creationist theory and that is that you can not create the following into existence or be the creator of any of the following! And if you can't create these things, you equal FAIL at being a "CREATOR" or a "GOD". This is especially true when said deity is slave to the need of these things it can not create!

* existence
    * intelligence
    * information
    * knowledge
    * Point of zero
    * Empty Space
    * self-awareness
    * self-identity
    * consciousness
    * a place for one's self to exist
    * mind containment
    * light/dark
    * infinity
    * time
    * sight
    * hearing
    * smell
    * observation
    * calculation
    * manipulation
    * thought
    * perception
    * reality
    * Feelings
    * Emotions
    * complexity
    * cause and effect
    * thought processing
    * Memory

In Short: If man were created by a higher being, it would be like a cultivation of RNA worshiping a lab full of human scientists.. Nothing special there.. And there is also the complexity problem and the fact that divinity itself is a model of evolution.. So I agree, creationism should not be taught in schools because it's a joke to begin with.

jobee

Quote from: "pinkocommie"This was awesome.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this, it's very well done and clear for me to understand which says a lot because I am no super smarty pants.  Also, this post reminded me a lot of the book 'Monkey Girl' which covered the Dover school trials where a conservative judge ruled that Intelligent Design was a religious concept rather than a scientific theory and therefore could not legally be taught in the PA public schools science class.  A lot of the arguments you respond to in this post are also covered in that book and the way the scientific community rallied together to prove their case really shone through.  Have you ever read it?

The council of europe 'EU' has banned creationism being taught - Sweden has relegated it to fiction.

All info on your computer.

karadan

Quote from: "jobee"The council of europe 'EU' has banned creationism being taught - Sweden has relegated it to fiction.

I love Sweden.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Dretlin

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "jobee"The council of europe 'EU' has banned creationism being taught - Sweden has relegated it to fiction.

I love Sweden.

Well done Sweden. I wonder if this policy will be adopted by the rest of Scandinavia.

I try very hard to find any form of creationism in schools in Scotland and (thank goodness) I am yet to find any. Some legislation would ease me somewhat however.

Secular people in Scotland stands at 28%, I wonder if this is increasing.  :hmm:

karadan

Quote from: "Dretlin"

I love Sweden.

Well done Sweden. I wonder if this policy will be adopted by the rest of Scandinavia.

I try very hard to find any form of creationism in schools in Scotland and (thank goodness) I am yet to find any. Some legislation would ease me somewhat however.

Secular people in Scotland stands at 28%, I wonder if this is increasing.  :hmm:

I went to a christian boarding school in Suffolk. One of my biology teachers was very religious as was one of my maths teachers but neither of them was a creationist. I don't think even the reverand was a creationist. Creationism was never brought up as an alternative to the scientific model. I'm sure creationism is only really taught as fact in the strictest of christian schools in the UK.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Dretlin

Quote from: "karadan"I went to a christian boarding school in Suffolk. One of my biology teachers was very religious as was one of my maths teachers but neither of them was a creationist. I don't think even the reverand was a creationist. Creationism was never brought up as an alternative to the scientific model. I'm sure creationism is only really taught as fact in the strictest of christian schools in the UK.

I have only really seen creationist views expressed from Americans and very little from Europeans. Do you think this is due to my lack of research or creationism is not expressed in Europe?

karadan

Quote from: "karadan"I went to a christian boarding school in Suffolk. One of my biology teachers was very religious as was one of my maths teachers but neither of them was a creationist. I don't think even the reverand was a creationist. Creationism was never brought up as an alternative to the scientific model. I'm sure creationism is only really taught as fact in the strictest of christian schools in the UK.

I have only really seen creationist views expressed from Americans and very little from Europeans. Do you think this is due to my lack of research or creationism is not expressed in Europe?

I really have no idea. There are creationists in Europe, for sure, but they don't seem to have as much air time as American creationists. As far as i know, there aren't any creationist politicians in the UK, for instance. If there are, they keep it to themselves. I doubt Europe has the same proportion of creationists but that is actually something i can't answer for sure. It would seem America has more, but then, maybe they just have a louder voice.

Maybe some of the other members here might be able to answer this more clearly. Could be a good topic for a new thread.  ;)

Dretlin

I really have no idea. There are creationists in Europe, for sure, but they don't seem to have as much air time as American creationists. As far as i know, there aren't any creationist politicians in the UK, for instance. If there are, they keep it to themselves. I doubt Europe has the same proportion of creationists but that is actually something i can't answer for sure. It would seem America has more, but then, maybe they just have a louder voice.

Maybe some of the other members here might be able to answer this more clearly. Could be a good topic for a new thread.  ;)

Yes! Rather than discuss it further here. Perhaps a topic about creationism in Europe compared to America.

Sophus

Quote from: "url=http://sites.google.com/a/drvinson.net/science/polls]Google[/url]"]A cross-national study of the United States and nine European nations in 2002-2003 used the expanded version of the question. The results confirm that a significantly lower proportion of American adults believe that evolution is absolutely true than adults in nine European countries [see fig. S1 in the Supporting Online Material (SOM)]. A third of American adults indicated that evolution is "absolutely false"; the proportion of European adults who thought that evolution was absolutely false ranged from 7% in Denmark, France, and Great Britain to 15% in the Netherlands.
Regardless of the form of the question, one in three American adults firmly rejects the concept of evolution, a significantly higher proportion than found in any western European country. How can we account for this pattern of American reservations about the concept of evolution in the context of broad acceptance in Europe and Japan?...  
More Polls Here.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Filanthropod

I believe in evolution of the physical body, but I think people should be told about all the views which are out there, and then they can make up their own mind. By preventing people from knowing what others think, all you're doing is effectively forcing them to believe as you do. Also, people need to know what others think about different things, at the very least simply for the sake of knowing.

Thumpalumpacus

1)  Not all hypotheses are equal, nor do they deserve equal time.  I'd argue that the time spent on any explanation should be proportional to its explanatory power.

2)  If you wish to teach a religious view of the accession of life, then do so in an elective religion class; it is obviously out of place in a science class.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Filanthropod

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"1)  Not all hypotheses are equal, nor do they deserve equal time.  I'd argue that the time spent on any explanation should be proportional to its explanatory power.

2)  If you wish to teach a religious view of the accession of life, then do so in an elective religion class; it is obviously out of place in a science class.

Well I still say that everyone has a right to be aware of what the world thinks about god, religion, evolution, creationism, etc.

Thumpalumpacus

hahah, as if we're not already awash in a world suffused with religion.

If Almighty God wanted humans to be aware of him, what use would he have for mortal educational requirements?
Illegitimi non carborundum.