News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Avengers Endgame (a rant) CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Started by xSilverPhinx, April 27, 2019, 09:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

First off, I thought this was an OK movie. Second, though I've watched all of the other movies of the Marvel Cinematic Universe I'm not a fan of comics so I could be missing something that is explained in that format.

I watched Endgame and left feeling like I had gone in with a set of expectations building up from previous films and left with most of those unmet. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but the film just felt lacking to me. It didn't feel like we were given a good twist or had our expectations exceeded...just a bad taste in our mouths when the end credits rolled.

For instance...Captain Marvel. What was her role exactly in this movie? She's the most powerful creature in the sequence of events leading up to this film and it seemed obvious she was going to play a huge role. In the end, she saved the guy who would save half the living things in the universe from Thanos and that's it. Oh yeah, and she got a haircut. 

Captain America going back to the past and living the life he wanted with his girlfriend. OK. Next time the Avengers see him he's an old man passing on the shield and job to his friend Sam. OK. So...did he live a normal life with his gf and was not Captain America for all the years since? How on Earth could there be the Avengers or any of the events leading up to those in this movie if there was no Captain America?! Seems like some time-travel paradox was broken there...or some lazy writing.

Tony Stark. Poor Iron Man dies in this movie. In a way, it makes sense that Marvel would end up having him and not Captain Marvel saving the universe. He's not superhero without his iron man suit. He doesn't have any superpowers besides his genius. He's like, a normal guy. I get there could be a Marvel message in there somewhere...

But still, what was the point of the Captain Marvel movie again? Let us know how Nick Fury got his scar? ::) 

[/endrant]

tl;dr: Thor takes his shirt off in this movie, but it isn't what you expect. 

;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

I don't care about spoilers, so even though I probably won't be seeing this film for some time, I read your rant.  ;D 

I think that any film that purports to put a cap on such a long story arc as the Avengers will have a hard time being anything but a bit of a let-down. Indeed it may be impossible to avoid, especially when it involves killing off central characters, which this one kind of has to do for dramatic purposes.

As for Captain Marvel, we've only seen her origin story and an appearance in this as far as I know--there's little doubt in my mind that there will be at least a few more installments of her adventures.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on April 28, 2019, 10:23:13 AM
I don't care about spoilers, so even though I probably won't be seeing this film for some time, I read your rant.  ;D 

I think that any film that purports to put a cap on such a long story arc as the Avengers will have a hard time being anything but a bit of a let-down. Indeed it may be impossible to avoid, especially when it involves killing off central characters, which this one kind of has to do for dramatic purposes.

As for Captain Marvel, we've only seen her origin story and an appearance in this as far as I know--there's little doubt in my mind that there will be at least a few more installments of her adventures.

Yeah, it just seems like Captain Marvel was added for the sake of convenience. Tony Stark was in a pickle, stranded in a spaceship in the middle of nowhere and along she comes to save him and take him back to Earth so he could be a vital point to the plot.  :sad sigh: That is frustrating. :P

Icarus

The movie is, reportedly, a box office sensation.  There must be a lot of people who like that sort of thing.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on April 30, 2019, 11:28:05 PM
The movie is, reportedly, a box office sensation.  There must be a lot of people who like that sort of thing.

Yes, Marvel movies have quite a fanbase.

It was an enjoyable movie, when you leave out some plotholes and weird things that occur in it.

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 27, 2019, 09:25:45 PM
First off, I thought this was an OK movie. Second, though I've watched all of the other movies of the Marvel Cinematic Universe I'm not a fan of comics so I could be missing something that is explained in that format.
I really liked it.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx
For instance...Captain Marvel. What was her role exactly in this movie? She's the most powerful creature in the sequence of events leading up to this film and it seemed obvious she was going to play a huge role. In the end, she saved the guy who would save half the living things in the universe from Thanos and that's it. Oh yeah, and she got a haircut.
They had a lot of characters in the movie (and even more in the comics around this event), she wasn't an avenger so she didn't get more screen time.

Captain America going back to the past and living the life he wanted with his girlfriend. OK. Next time the Avengers see him he's an old man passing on the shield and job to his friend Sam. OK. So...did he live a normal life with his gf and was not Captain America for all the years since? How on Earth could there be the Avengers or any of the events leading up to those in this movie if there was no Captain America?! Seems like some time-travel paradox was broken there...or some lazy writing.
He went into the past after already doing all the relevant stuff. It doesn't change much since his GF had already "met someone else" from the Captain America movies. He just had to lay low that run through the timeline to avoid any paradigm breaking. So he existed twice at the same time, though one version of him was mostly as a Popsicle.

But still, what was the point of the Captain Marvel movie again? Let us know how Nick Fury got his scar? ::)
I feel like these questions apply to every other character as well. I'm not sure why one would single out Captain Marvel as opposed to Black Panther or even Iron Man.

;D
That was great.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on May 06, 2019, 05:15:57 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 27, 2019, 09:25:45 PM
I really liked it.

They had a lot of characters in the movie (and even more in the comics around this event), she wasn't an avenger so she didn't get more screen time.

He went into the past after already doing all the relevant stuff. It doesn't change much since his GF had already "met someone else" from the Captain America movies. He just had to lay low that run through the timeline to avoid any paradigm breaking. So he existed twice at the same time, though one version of him was mostly as a Popsicle.

I feel like these questions apply to every other character as well. I'm not sure why one would single out Captain Marvel as opposed to Black Panther or even Iron Man.

;D
That was great.

Maybe it's me, but I went to watch Endgame with a set of expectations which weren't met, mostly revolving around Captain Marvel because she was the most powerful character in terms of superhero abilities. I had high hopes for her.  ;D

I felt the other movies were leading up to an end in which she would have a larger role, but just as one might go to watch this movie expecting Thor to show off his abs because is practically all (if not all) his other movies he did, and seeing something else in Endgame, I felt a little disappointed. But I liked the movie in general, I just didn't think it was Marvel's best.

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 06, 2019, 10:29:41 PM
Maybe it's me, but I went to watch Endgame with a set of expectations which weren't met, mostly revolving around Captain Marvel because she was the most powerful character in terms of superhero abilities. I had high hopes for her.  ;D
I've found that trying to drop my expectations has allowed me to enjoy more movies than I would have otherwise. The movies I liked when I was a kid, I didn't really expect anything, they were new to me and then I really loved them. I try to keep that neutral mentality when watching new movies.

One thing that Marvel has done well in the movies that DC has not so far (some exceptions on both sides), is giving the audience the danger and struggle because the characters are not supremely powerful. There are ways to handle that, the first part of the first movie of the newest Superman was a good way to do so... but that's another discussion. Captain Marvel is one of a few a Superman level characters in the Marvel universe (Hulk is as well, but he has some built in drawbacks), and she was too powerful for that particular incarnation of Thanos when all the other heroes are also fighting him with her. At least if you still wanted to show the heroes struggle and almost completely fail.

So I think they were left with deciding between either altering Thanos and breaking consistency, or keeping Captain Marvel mostly away from the action. She had been away for most of the whole story, so it's not consistency breaking to have her out trying to keep the rest of the galaxy together and then getting taken out by the same thing that has been shown to take out super powerful beings.

I would have liked Captain Marvel to have a bigger role, and I am still looking forward to more movies for the character. In this case though, I can see why they chose the way they chose.

I felt the other movies were leading up to an end in which she would have a larger role, but just as one might go to watch this movie expecting Thor to show off his abs because is practically all (if not all) his other movies he did, and seeing something else in Endgame, I felt a little disappointed. But I liked the movie in general, I just didn't think it was Marvel's best.
I think it's the best of the Avenger movies. And besides, they at least didn't fumble the ending. It's not my favorite Marvel movie, but it is my favorite Avengers movie.

I like the Hulk a lot and didn't much like the in between version. I was first introduced to the Hulk through the TV series, and while that series doesn't exactly hold up (though I personally still really like it), it might have ruined the character for me because it was very different from the comic version. I still like the comic version though. The Hulk movies (that I also really liked), haven't done that great of a job, I can understand the choices they made with the character in the Avenger movies. The Hulk in Thor: Ragnarok was much more like the more recent comics and it was great. But I can see why the Hulk change into a character very much like Beast, even though that didn't sit well with me.

The Thor abs were great, and even good that he didn't magically get them back. I was never a fan of the Thor comics, they weren't terrible, but they weren't my bag. But I really liked the Thor movie character. It think they did well with him.

I already expressed how I feel about Captain Marvel, I'd like to see how this new Marvel will handle a supremely powerful character like her and still make the story compelling. I think they can, but I just don't see how that would have fit into this movie any differently.

I would have liked to see Dead Pool in this, he played a decent sized role in the comics around the Infinity Gauntlet. But the comics had hundreds of characters in that story line, it was their big combined story, there's no way they could have done the same thing with the movie, as it was they had all the movie universe heroes in it and I think that was enough.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on May 07, 2019, 04:51:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 06, 2019, 10:29:41 PM
I've found that trying to drop my expectations has allowed me to enjoy more movies than I would have otherwise. The movies I liked when I was a kid, I didn't really expect anything, they were new to me and then I really loved them. I try to keep that neutral mentality when watching new movies.

One thing that Marvel has done well in the movies that DC has not so far (some exceptions on both sides), is giving the audience the danger and struggle because the characters are not supremely powerful. There are ways to handle that, the first part of the first movie of the newest Superman was a good way to do so... but that's another discussion. Captain Marvel is one of a few a Superman level characters in the Marvel universe (Hulk is as well, but he has some built in drawbacks), and she was too powerful for that particular incarnation of Thanos when all the other heroes are also fighting him with her. At least if you still wanted to show the heroes struggle and almost completely fail.

So I think they were left with deciding between either altering Thanos and breaking consistency, or keeping Captain Marvel mostly away from the action. She had been away for most of the whole story, so it's not consistency breaking to have her out trying to keep the rest of the galaxy together and then getting taken out by the same thing that has been shown to take out super powerful beings.

I would have liked Captain Marvel to have a bigger role, and I am still looking forward to more movies for the character. In this case though, I can see why they chose the way they chose.

Yeah it does make sense, your way of seeing it. Maybe I should try my best to go in with a more open mind.   :-\
I think it's the best of the Avenger movies. And besides, they at least didn't fumble the ending. It's not my favorite Marvel movie, but it is my favorite Avengers movie.

I like the Hulk a lot and didn't much like the in between version. I was first introduced to the Hulk through the TV series, and while that series doesn't exactly hold up (though I personally still really like it), it might have ruined the character for me because it was very different from the comic version. I still like the comic version though. The Hulk movies (that I also really liked), haven't done that great of a job, I can understand the choices they made with the character in the Avenger movies. The Hulk in Thor: Ragnarok was much more like the more recent comics and it was great. But I can see why the Hulk change into a character very much like Beast, even though that didn't sit well with me.

The Thor abs were great, and even good that he didn't magically get them back. I was never a fan of the Thor comics, they weren't terrible, but they weren't my bag. But I really liked the Thor movie character. It think they did well with him.

I already expressed how I feel about Captain Marvel, I'd like to see how this new Marvel will handle a supremely powerful character like her and still make the story compelling. I think they can, but I just don't see how that would have fit into this movie any differently.

I would have liked to see Dead Pool in this, he played a decent sized role in the comics around the Infinity Gauntlet. But the comics had hundreds of characters in that story line, it was their big combined story, there's no way they could have done the same thing with the movie, as it was they had all the movie universe heroes in it and I think that was enough.

Oh, Dead Pool would have been awesome! :grin: