News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

I have been told that the reason Brits drink warm beer is because they have Lucas refrigerators.   ;)

Dark Lightning

jumbojak

Quote from: Asmodean on February 07, 2019, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on February 07, 2019, 01:25:43 PM
Harness replacement is reserved for severe damage to the whole harness, like in a flood. A dead short just involes finding the short - not difficult, but takes a bit of time - and repairing the wire by whatever means you prefer. Depending on location and loom size you might get away with a crimp, but soldering in a new wire is often the best choice.

Determine which circuit is shorting, get thyself a power distribution diagram ,and look for sources of heat and vibration first. If nothing turns up, break out the circuit breaker and detection tool.
Sure. My thinking in this case is, failed insulation on one cable may well mean faulty insulation on others. If it's all dried up and brittle in there, my workshop, at least, will recommend replacing the whole damned mess. If it's "simple" mechanical damage, yeah, they'll just splice it. Rather, I'll just splice it and not even go to a mechanic, but that's beside the point.

How often do you see insulation failing of its own accord? I work on tractors from the sixties with original wiring that's dirty, but sound. Maybe there are differences in the type of jacketing used across the pond but we scavenge partial harnesses from vans and large trucks to use in repairs. I've seen house wiring from the fifties and earlier that's falling apart but that's a long time ago.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on February 07, 2019, 11:34:55 PM
I have been told that the reason Brits drink warm beer is because they have Lucas refrigerators.   ;)

:o

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 08, 2019, 01:05:16 AM
;D And the fight was on!

:watching:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Feeling really tired. It's been a long week. Good thing I have a three-day weekend!  :heyhey:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on February 07, 2019, 11:11:05 AM
I like my MG ZS. I will miss it  :'(
I still miss my first car. Best car I ever had, that Hyundai Coupe. Shame I smashed it into an Opel back then.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Guardian85

In other news, when bachelors are bored apparently they turn their dining rooms into man-caves.

What one can do with a couple of cargo pallets, a bit of hardwood floor board and some planks.....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Guardian85

Quote from: jumbojak on February 09, 2019, 08:24:28 PM
You need beer on tap.
Thought about that. Since I brew my own, I could theoretically start using pressure tanks.
Needs more gear, though.

-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 09, 2019, 08:52:08 PM
You need beer on tap.
Thought about that. Since I brew my own, I could theoretically start using pressure tanks.
Needs more gear, though.

How available is co2 in Norway? Pain to get here if you don't use enough to justify truck delivery.

Guardian85

Quote from: jumbojak on February 09, 2019, 09:19:26 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on February 09, 2019, 08:52:08 PM
You need beer on tap.
Needs more gear, though.

How available is co2 in Norway? Pain to get here if you don't use enough to justify truck delivery.
Probably get me one of those old timey english pump taps. But I don't think co2 should be that hard to come by.

-Unknown Smartass-

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 09, 2019, 06:43:09 PM
What one can do with a couple of cargo pallets, a bit of hardwood floor board and some planks.....

Are you going to stain it, or leave it two-tone?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

Quote from: Sandra Craft on February 10, 2019, 12:32:09 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on February 09, 2019, 06:43:09 PM

Are you going to stain it, or leave it two-tone?
I have given some thought to staining the bar top to make it look more....rustic, perhaps?

-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

You could "antique" it, if you're feeling frisky. Get some chain and go to work on it. Definitely rustic that way.

Tank

Well I have a new ('ish) car. Quite different from the last one but I'm pleased with it.

In other news the wind blew the Internet over for 24 hours.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.