News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Thank You for Speaking English

Started by JNTB, July 25, 2006, 01:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyV

Quote from: "onlyme"To add further to my above posting:

I've looked at the test for American citizenship.  I didn't take it, coz I knew I would probably fail miserably.  But judging by some of the second hand English on this forum, and in American society in general, almost NONE of you would pass as a British citizen.

Well, of course not. My teeth are much too straight.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Court

Of course the Brits have consistency of language, for the most part (although, I'm sure there are different dialects, even in your tiny-ass country). It's little! Asking Americans to all speak the same "English" is like expecting all of Europe to speak the same language! In other words, stupid.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Court

I think it's rather arrogant of you to call America "offspring" when nearly half (or maybe over, I'm not sure) or our population is black, Hispanic, Native American, or Asian. I, for one, am all German, Native American, Irish, and Dutch. This is an immigrant country now. Not a British offspring. Get over yourselves.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Asmodean Prime

court wrote:

"I, for one, am all German, Native American, Irish, and Dutch."

Does that mean you are half German, half native American, half Irish and half Dutch?

Just a joke.  Lighten up, already!

Asmodean Prime

MikeyV wrote

"Well, of course not. My teeth are much too straight.
Of course, MikeyV..  Don't you know that in England, the Americans, especially the women, are referred to as being 'all hair and teeth'?

I kid you not.

Big Mac

Quote from: "MikeyV"
Quote from: "onlyme"To add further to my above posting:

I've looked at the test for American citizenship.  I didn't take it, coz I knew I would probably fail miserably.  But judging by some of the second hand English on this forum, and in American society in general, almost NONE of you would pass as a British citizen.

Well, of course not. My teeth are much too straight.

Yeah and my skin isn't pale like picket fence.

Speaking of which, Court brings up a good point. I'm of Irish/Mexican/French/and one-more-I-don't-care-to-mention descent.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Big Mac

Quote from: "onlyme"MikeyV wrote

"Well, of course not. My teeth are much too straight.
Of course, MikeyV..  Don't you know that in England, the Americans, especially the women, are referred to as being 'all hair and teeth'?

I kid you not.

We Americans don't give a shit, I kid you not.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Aullios

Spanish-German-Acadian-Hispanic-Scotch-Creole-Cherokee-English-French (in order by percentage) here.

I mostly just claim the Cajun though :)

Whitney

I'm full Czech.  Both of my biological parents were second generation Czech Americans (I don't know how they met each other, there is probably a Czech community where they lived).

MommaSquid

German, Czech, mutt.  All American.

Woody

My apologies for reviving this particular thread, but I thought some of you might get some entertainment from the web site I'm going to mention here.

As I've said elsewhere, my wife is a U.S. citizen, and even after several years of marriage we still stumble across words and phrases now and then which surprise us because of the differences in American usage and British usage. During our earliest times together, we frequently found differences in American English and Brit English and they often caused much hilarity. Some of the differences are well know and I'm sure you are all familiar with some of the best examples.  However, if you are curious about more than the most commonly known examples, you might enjoy taking a look at The Best of British: An American's guide to speaking British.  This contains over 1000 words and expressions which differ in usage in the U.S. and the U.K.  Some are pretty funny, and I can vouch for the accuracy of most of them.  Even this list isn't totally comprehensive, but it's a good start. :)

McQ

Quote from: "Woody"My apologies for reviving this particular thread, but I thought some of you might get some entertainment from the web site I'm going to mention here.

As I've said elsewhere, my wife is a U.S. citizen, and even after several years of marriage we still stumble across words and phrases now and then which surprise us because of the differences in American usage and British usage. During our earliest times together, we frequently found differences in American English and Brit English and they often caused much hilarity. Some of the differences are well know and I'm sure you are all familiar with some of the best examples.  However, if you are curious about more than the most commonly known examples, you might enjoy taking a look at The Best of British: An American's guide to speaking British.  This contains over 1000 words and expressions which differ in usage in the U.S. and the U.K.  Some are pretty funny, and I can vouch for the accuracy of most of them.  Even this list isn't totally comprehensive, but it's a good start. :)

Thanks for posting it Woody. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

joeactor

Quote from: "Woody"However, if you are curious about more than the most commonly known examples, you might enjoy taking a look at The Best of British: An American's guide to speaking British.  This contains over 1000 words and expressions which differ in usage in the U.S. and the U.K.  Some are pretty funny, and I can vouch for the accuracy of most of them.  Even this list isn't totally comprehensive, but it's a good start. :)

Great Woody - thanks much...
Sites like this are a lot of fun (plus a great resource for me).

Woody

Quote from: "McQ"Thanks for posting it Woody. I'm looking forward to reading it.

You're welcome McQ. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Local dialects aren't really covered on the site, which is a pity.  It was difficult for my wife to understand the Lancashire dialect and accent when she first arrived here, but she is coming along fine now.  She can even say things such as, "Put leet eawt, will thi?", instead of,  "please switch off the light". This is a whole study in itself of course, and I should probably spare you more detail. ;)

joeactor

Quote from: "Woody"
Quote from: "joeactor"Great Woody - thanks much...
Sites like this are a lot of fun (plus a great resource for me).

Always glad to be of service, sir!  No, really, glad you like the material and have a use for it! ;)

For local dialects, I use English Accents and Dialects as an audio reference...