News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Are You a Fascist?

Started by LegendarySandwich, February 15, 2011, 01:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heretical Rants

I got like 2.03, so just a tiny bit lower and I would have gotten "rotting whiner." The cutoff is at 2

I see patriotism as a negative value, freedom as a strong positive value, and want a powerless government, so I´m about as far away from a fascist as you can get.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Patriotism makes me sick. There's no room for an upside in a round world. We're all humans, just because there's someone with different habits and skin color living in another country doesn't make them any worse or any better than you.

War, religion, patriotism. We'll probably start working towards the Heaven on Earth we COULD have when those things fade away.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

tubbyman

Liberal blah blah

that surprised me TBH as I like to think I'm a bit of a hardliner. It must be that whole 'not hating gay people' that let me down.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "tubbyman"2.966666666666667

Liberal blah blah

that surprised me TBH as I like to think I'm a bit of a hardliner. It must be that whole 'not hating gay people' that let me down.
Stupid liberals and their non-hatred of people with different sexualities than them.

I think that, so far, I've gotten the lowest score out of everyone here. Huh.

LegendarySandwich

I just took it again, and this time, I got 1.7.

So yeah, I'm pretty much a fascist.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I just took it again, and this time, I got 1.7.
I bet this time you were TRYING to get a lower score, though.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I just took it again, and this time, I got 1.7.
I bet this time you were TRYING to get a lower score, though.
A bit, but I was still answering honestly.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"Patriotism makes me sick. There's no room for an upside in a round world.
I'm quoting you on this, btw.

LegendarySandwich

Do you guys mean blind patriotism, or exceptionalism when you say patriotism? Because I can't see how simply loving one's own country is a bad thing.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Do you guys mean blind patriotism, or exceptionalism when you say patriotism? Because I can't see how simply loving one's own country is a bad thing.
I'm talking about the "our-country-is-definitely-the-best-in-the-world-and-has-no-problems-whatsoever-and-all-the-others-are-shit-and-you-don't-deserve-to-live-here-if-you-don't-love-this-country-as-much-as-I-do-and-lets-plaster-our-flag-all-over-the-place-and-make-kids-make-pledges-to-them-and-them-immigrants-are-ruining-our-great-nation-gotta-keep-them-out-and-disparage-anyone-who-dissagrees-and-if-you-dissagree-with-my-canidate-you're-unpatriotic-stop-criticising-our-country" garbage.

I don't necessarily know what ForTheLoveOfAll is talking about; I just liked the way he said it.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Do you guys mean blind patriotism, or exceptionalism when you say patriotism? Because I can't see how simply loving one's own country is a bad thing.
I'm talking about the "our-country-is-definitely-the-best-in-the-world-and-has-no-problems-whatsoever-and-all-the-others-are-shit-and-you-don't-deserve-to-live-here-if-you-don't-love-this-country-as-much-as-I-do-and-lets-plaster-our-flag-all-over-the-place-and-make-kids-make-pledges-to-them-and-them-immigrants-are-ruining-our-great-nation-gotta-keep-them-out-and-disparage-anyone-who-dissagrees-and-if-you-dissagree-with-my-canidate-you're-unpatriotic-stop-criticising-our-country" garbage.

I don't necessarily know what ForTheLoveOfAll is talking about; I just liked the way he said it.
Yeah, that's the kind of "patriotism" I thought you were talking about, and I agree.

terranus

That's not Patriotism, that's called "Nationalism". I know they seem like synonyms of each other, but their not. There's a big difference. Patriotism pretty much the love of one's own country, whereas Nationalism is more or less a nation-specific version of ethnocentrism .
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "terranus"That's not Patriotism, that's called "Nationalism". I know they seem like synonyms of each other, but their not. There's a big difference. Patriotism pretty much the love of one's own country,
Yeah, and I don't think all that many people should love their own country. I rather dislike mine.

terranus

Quote from: "terranus"That's not Patriotism, that's called "Nationalism". I know they seem like synonyms of each other, but their not. There's a big difference. Patriotism pretty much the love of one's own country,
Yeah, and I don't think all that many people should love their own country. I rather dislike mine.

Note: When I say country, I'm not talking about the government.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

The Magic Pudding

This is from a Samuel Johnson Wiki
QuoteIn 1774 he printed The Patriot, a critique of what he viewed as false patriotism. On the evening of 7 April 1775, he made the famous statement, "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel."[8] This line was not, as widely believed, about patriotism in general, but the false use of the term "patriotism" by John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute (the patriot-minister) and his supporters; Johnson opposed "self-professed Patriots" in general, but valued what he considered "true" patriotism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Joh ... ical_views

I don't like what I regard as false patriotism either.  When discussions can't be had before a country should goes to war, and  opponents are shouted down as traitorous or are too scared to talk, it's not a healthy situation.