News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Started by LARA, June 04, 2008, 07:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myleviathan

Quote from: "LARA"Since the avatars we use, if we do, are really the only thing we see of each other, I'm kind of curious if you've ever noticed how a person's avatar effects the way you view them. We can't pick our physical appearance in real life, but we do get to pick our avatar. So what made you pick your avatar, what are the characteristics of the image or character that are really your favorite and what do you think about avatars in general?

I always liked JCM's avatar because it's Brian on Family Guy, and he's always the voice of reason (even though he is an alcoholic). So anytime I read something from JCM I always hear the voice of Brian. Which is a lot of fun.

Will - I prefer Pierce Brosnan's avatar, too. The guy from Battlestar Gallactica is cool, but I like imagining the intelligent things that you write have the suave attitude of Brosnan.

SteveS's avatar is another personal favorite, because it's beer, and he made it nonetheless. Way to go steveS!

My avatar is Frylock from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, mainly because I love that show. And Frylock is just smart and cool, and I've always wanted to be that! (with varying levels of success). I had Shake up for a while, which I might bring back... We'll see.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Mister Joy

QuoteNotice that your avatars tend to be round. Dart board, smiley face, dinner plate. I wonder what that means.

Now that I think of it, a lot of our avatars seem to be round, including mine. Hmmm...

That's true... Check out my MSPaint Cheshire cat avatar (I don't use it here because it's too big):

Round avatars are more aesthetically pleasing to me somehow, I suppose.

I don't like putting faces or characters up as my avatars for exactly the reason that LARA put in the original post: they distort people's perception much more than inanimate or nondescript objects do. At the same time I don't like them to be too emotive (hence the smiley face started to bug me after a bit).

Quote from: "myleviathan"SteveS's avatar is another personal favorite, because it's beer, and he made it nonetheless. Way to go steveS!

It adds to the general feeling that I'm in a pub. Beer + lot's of sceptical, world-weary intellectual discussion. In fact Happy Atheists is pretty much The Royal... and on that note I'm off to get a pint out of the fridge. Anyone feel like having their arse kicked in a game of pool? :raised:

McQ

Oh yeah, SteveS's avatar always makes me happy. He got points for that from the start!  :D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MariaEvri

well for me, someone's avatar represents something he really likes. Mine would ahve been a camera but I had trouble uploading it so I kinda quit for now. Good thing I remembered I gotta fix my avatar!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Asmodean

Yeah... Guess I should re-post here. :-D

My new avatar is the sigil of Asmoday,

Quote from: "Wiki"Asmodai or Asmodeus (see below for other variations) is a demon mostly known from the deuterocanonical Book of Tobit. The demon is also mentioned in some Talmudic legends, for instance, in the story of the construction of the Temple of Solomon.

since my screen name is originally derived from it. (Asmodean was one of the primary antagonists in the Wheel of Time book series by Robert Jordan.)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

McQ

A big thumbs up for Atheist Mother's avatar. Deliverance. A hell of a movie and one sure way to make you think twice about those back to nature trips!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Chimera

I totally think Will looks like Pierce Brosnan. Haha.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman