News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What are you Eating right now?

Started by terranus, February 01, 2011, 06:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Should I climb down of the perch and clam up just for the halibut?

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

I had oatmeal and yogurt for breakfast and a bacon cheeseburger with onion rings for lunch.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

Stop trying to mussel in on my territory tankaroni!

Tank

Icarus

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on July 03, 2019, 02:59:52 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 29, 2019, 05:57:57 PM
Brazilian cheese pastel.

That looks.... mediocre.

It tastes better than it looks in that photo.

Let me try and find something a little more appetizing.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Icarus

An hour ago it was Tamales with charro beans and Mexican rice...washed down with a Margarita and followed by a desert of Flan with strawberries and whipped cream. 

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

cornbread this morning.

don't have any coarse-ground cornmeal. for some reason cornbread isn't popular in appalachia, so the largest containers you can buy are one pound canisters. i use a lot more than that, so i've been buying masa flour instead, generally intended for tortillas. this makes a denser and finer batter than ordinary meal, but i can work around that. not at all a traditional cornbread.

didn't have any milk, either, so i'm using sour cream and a small amount of water. you can make excellent cornbread with yogurt as well, or if you're vegan, even a grain emulsion like almond or rice milk. if you want a gluten binder you can put in some bread flour. i don't like that much, personally.

aside from that, just some baking powder, salt, sugar of you want it, and some sort of oil or shortening, maybe. in oklahoma the traditional kitchen controversy about cornbread is whether or not to put shortening in the batter. it works either way. as an experiment i pushed the envelope towards cake with this and dropped in two beaten eggs. i'm curious how the masa will react to that.

hardcore okie cornbread is all cornmeal, no bread flour, no sugar, maybe or maybe not an egg. when you do it that way you have about a two minute window to take it out of the oven between soggy wet and choking dry.

400 F and twety minutes or so, until a stick comes out of the center clean.

worked great. high density and moist, as i was expecting. i'll try it with less liquid and more baking powder. i've tried using sodium bicarboate as a leavening in it, but it tends to produce too much CO2 too quickly:

i've got some black button sage honey i brought with me from california some fifteen years ago. excellent stuff. never crystallizes, and it's very good on cornbread.

the number one son and his girlfriend are due here this weekend. if they show up while there's still time, i'll make up some tofu curry for thanksgiving.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

My Granny used to make cornbread fit for the Gods.  She also used to make Hoecake which is something like fried bread.  It was made in a frying pan (skillet).  Really good victuals in any case.  The cornbraed Granny was on my mothers side. She was a sure enough southerner.  My Other Granny was a Yankee who surmised that cornbread is useful only to slop the pigs.

I have a simple solution to the making of cornbread.  Buy Jiffy Mix, about 79 cents per box. Mix it with a bit of water and egg, throw in some shredded Jalapeno bits and bake.  It ain't the real cornbread that Granny used to make but it will do for a hapless cook like me.

Friend wife, Elaine, spent a lot of time preparing Thanksgiving dinner. It consisted of Roast Turkey, candied yams, white potato casserole, green beans, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce and a bit of Chardonnay.  Followed later with a pumpkin pie with a walnut crust.

All that for two people was silly but appreciated. All the children and other parts of my and her family were hundreds of miles away.

Elaine did not intend to cook a big turkey but she is a crafty shopper.  Two turkey legs would have cost more than the whole damned turkey.  She came home with a 13 pound beast that she had bought for $6.38.   It came from a premium market chain that could be trusted not to sell inferior or questionable items, certainly not turkey that is famously covered with nasty bacteria,.

Did you know that the Thanksgiving myth about the pilgrims with the generous, friendly, native Americans is likely to be bullshit?   More......Among most of the native Americans, this day is regarded as a day of Mourning.  It is a matter of fact that Europeans killed a million indians and stole their land.  The Indian people have not forgotten it.