News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Latino or Hispanic?

Started by Biggus Dickus, February 17, 2016, 08:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

It's a bit odd to me that people would use an umbrella term to describe those from countries with such mixed heritage. In Brazil for instance (according to that comic we're all Latinos but not Hispanic) we have people of Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian, Polish, Arabic, Japanese and African descent, not to mention native americans, among others.

As far as I know, we don't call people of Spanish-speaking countries 'Hispanics'.  :nu-uh:
I think that they are too diverse culturally to be jumbled up as well. 

So what counts, language? There are cities in Brazil that speak only German, for instance. They're Brazilian but are they Latinos?

So yeah, I don't agree with the labels.  :teadrink: 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 18, 2016, 11:51:17 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 18, 2016, 06:02:12 PM

This is what this conversation looks like from my angle.

You mean from a broomstick?  Bruja!

(Angry Personal Message)

You guys don't want to hear it.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Please continue with your party, I know I'm not invited.

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 17, 2016, 08:03:05 PM
Hey Gringos!
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 18, 2016, 02:07:04 PM
You might want to keep the door closed Mags, and sorry for bringing this thread up.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on February 19, 2016, 03:02:00 AM

Hey Gringos!
You might want to keep the door closed Mags, and sorry for bringing this thread up.
I'd have a party just so I could invite you  :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

In fact I'd have a party just so I could invite all of you!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

That's probably me up on the gate. I always want to look tough and cool, but there are always easier ways.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2016, 10:04:33 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 19, 2016, 03:02:00 AM

Hey Gringos!
I'd have a party just so I could invite you  :grin:
My dear, Tank...

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on February 19, 2016, 01:43:17 PM

That's probably me up on the gate. I always want to look tough and cool, but there are always easier ways.
I do the same thing.  :snicker:
Latino or Hispanic? Simple answer to those of us who are one or the other.
...But I'm not invited, so I won't say a thing.  :smileshake:
I'll let a Norwegian, a British, and a Gringo answer the question.  :smilenod:

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on February 19, 2016, 07:50:09 PM

Well, my girlfriends' mother was born in Mexico and had emigrated to the the US, so I feel that I have more than enough personal experience, firsthand knowledge, professional training, and sturdy enough legs...

...to keep my mouth shut about it.

Seriously, I haven't had to use those terms at all.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Crow

Racist!
Retired member.

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on February 19, 2016, 08:12:40 PM

Racist!
I'm an Atheist-Latina-Hippie-Witch but I'm not racist.  :smileshake: I used the word Gringo because that's the word, a Gringo, like Bruno de la Pole, used.  :P

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on February 19, 2016, 08:10:02 PM

Well, my girlfriends' mother was born in Mexico and had emigrated to the the US, so I feel that I have more than enough personal experience, firsthand knowledge, professional training, and sturdy enough legs...

...to keep my mouth shut about it.

Seriously, I haven't had to use those terms at all.

Crow

Quote from: Magdalena on February 19, 2016, 09:40:04 PM
I'm an Atheist-Latina-Hippie-Witch but I'm not racist.  :smileshake: I used the word Gringo because that's the word, a Gringo, like Bruno de la Pole, used.  :P

Bruno is a confused racist like Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks  :P

I'd consider the word gringo racist when used outside the context of "foreigner" in a Spanish speaking country and even then that can still be a highlight of racism. It essentially means "not one of us" with emphasis as your italics nicely highlighting the fact. It might not be used in the same way that the harsher specific race identifiers are used but the usage of the word is often racist whether those that use the word like it or not. I'm sure many racists were annoyed when the Spanish word for black was deemed to be racist "because that's the word".
Retired member.

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on February 19, 2016, 10:18:26 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 19, 2016, 09:40:04 PM

Bruno is a confused racist like Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks  :P

I'd consider the word gringo racist when used outside the context of "foreigner" in a Spanish speaking country and even then that can still be a highlight of racism. It essentially means "not one of us" with emphasis as your italics nicely highlighting the fact. It might not be used in the same way that the harsher specific race identifiers are used but the usage of the word is often racist whether those that use the word like it or not. I'm sure many racists were annoyed when the Spanish word for black was deemed to be racist "because that's the word".
I think you and I had a similar conversation about the word, Cholo or Chola. In Europe it means something different than here, in the US. In Peru the word Cholo means something entirely different than what you or I said. When it comes to me being racist because I used the word, Gringo--because Bruno de la Pole used it to address a group of people when he made the post--Well, We'll just have to wait and see how offended he is, and if he is, I'll apologize to him.  ;)

Is this the, Latino or Hispanic, or Gringo-Thread, now?

One more thing. I sometimes put foreign words in italics, it has nothing to do with what you said.
Foreign Words or Phrases

If a word or phrase has become so widely used and understood that it has become part of the English language — such as the French "bon voyage" or the abbreviation for the latin et cetera, "etc." — we would not italicize it. Often this becomes a matter of private judgment and context. For instance, whether you italicize the Italian sotto voce depends largely on your audience and your subject matter.

Crow

Quote from: Magdalena on February 19, 2016, 10:53:38 PM
Is this the, Latino or Hispanic, or Gringo-Thread, now?

It's like every other thread on the forum. An extension of "What's on your mind today?".
Retired member.