News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Pretty Much All People Are Good

Started by Recusant, July 06, 2018, 10:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

. . . To eat. Just ask the lions put on a private game reserve as a deterrent to poachers. This story gives me a mild frisson of joy, I don't mind admitting.  :sidesmile:

"A Pride of Lions Killed and Ate a Group of Rhino Poachers Who Broke Into a Wildlife Reserve" | TIME

QuoteA group of rhino poachers were eaten by a pride of lions in Kenton-on-the-Sea, according to the owner of the South African wildlife reserve where the incident happened.

The remains of what appears to be three bodies were discovered on the Simbuya Game Reserve along with high power rifles owner Nick Fox said in a statement. Fox said the poachers' mangled remains are suspected to have been eaten by a pride of six lions who were on the reservation to protect the endangered and highly targeted rhinos who are hunted for their horns.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Yup, a good case of "nature biting back". I have long personally held the view that that kind of poaching should be a capital crime.

And this highlights the stupidity of the kind of "medicine" these animals are killed to serve. There is a Chinese meducine shop in Gloucester, I have only seen a couple of people in it, both from the city's fairly large Chinese community. I am not against herbal medicine, many herbs are efficacious, but animal body parts? I have nothing but contempt for those who supply, trade in and use such.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

They were there to protect rhinos.  Now they have a taste for humans. Hope they never escape.  They know how easy we are to kill.

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 06, 2018, 05:45:53 PM
They were there to protect rhinos.  Now they have a taste for humans. Hope they never escape.  They know how easy we are to kill.

Yes there is an element of sadness in the story. Those lions didn't ask to be put in that situation, and now their lives may be in danger.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

^
That brings back memories, but I thought it had come out long before 1992 (yes, I checked).

There must be another sing involving lions or jungles from the 1960s 'cos I remember being drunk in the RAF and singing (?) something.

They don't write 'em like that anymore!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on July 07, 2018, 07:17:14 PM
^
That brings back memories, but I thought it had come out long before 1992 (yes, I checked).

There must be another sing involving lions or jungles from the 1960s 'cos I remember being drunk in the RAF and singing (?) something.

:scratch: I was under the impression that it came out in the 80's as I remember struggling to play the song on a recorder in elementary school music class and thinking it was an old-timey song. 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 07, 2018, 07:29:22 PM
^

:scratch: I was under the impression that it came out in the 80's as I remember struggling to play the song on a recorder in elementary school music class and thinking it was an old-timey song.

Wow! I am guessing that on a recorder in elementary school was definitely a struggle! I never got further than, "Bah, bah, black sheep . . ,"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on July 07, 2018, 07:40:16 PM
^

Wow! I am guessing that on a recorder in elementary school was definitely a struggle! I never got further than, "Bah, bah, black sheep . . ,"

It shouldn't have been! All my classmates could do it but I am musically challenged. :lol:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 07, 2018, 07:43:58 PM
Quote from: Dave on July 07, 2018, 07:40:16 PM
^

It shouldn't have been! All my classmates could do it but I am musically challenged. :lol:

With the exception that I can hold a rhythm and spot a bum note I am musically absolutely bloody incompetent!

No one

I don't like the taste of vegans, and some humans from the Mesopotamian area are extremely bitter.

Recusant

^

It is, in that context. Written in Zulu by Solomon Linda and first recorded in 1939, the English version was first recorded by pop and folk artists in the 1950s (source).
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

There really is a Wiki entry for everything it seems! Thanks, Recusant! :grin:

hermes2015

For some reason I just caught up with this thread. Thanks for the Wiki link, Recusant. That song has become one of SA's most famous exports.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

So, chances are I was drunkenly belting it out in the 60s!.

Should have dug deeper, thanks Recusant.

Hermes, thought, "Ag pleez Daddy!" was the No. 1 SA song!