News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Manchester concert explosion

Started by joeactor, May 23, 2017, 01:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Everyone here ok?

Hearing reports of explosions and devices found...

Explosion, Panic and Death at Ariana Grande Concert in England https://nyti.ms/2qOGECU

Sandra Craft

It's all over FB now.  Please check in, English people.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

^^^
Yes, please check in, English people.
This is so sad.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Crow is the nearest member.
Claire is over that way too.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

This is horrendous, a deliberate attack on young people.

And no real way to guard against it.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

I'm fine, but pretty pissed off at this attack on kids.

Claireliontamer

I'm fine, it's about 30miles from me but I've been to that arena plenty of times before. It's very near where Crow lives but I doubt he was at that concert!

Ecurb Noselrub

Our thoughts are with you and your nation.  Too often we have been subjected to this kind of cowardly brutality. 

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 23, 2017, 11:39:13 AM
I'm fine, it's about 30miles from me but I've been to that arena plenty of times before. It's very near where Crow lives but I doubt he was at that concert!

That was the only thing giving me comfort -- that I didn't think that was Crow's kind of music.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dragonia

Targeting female young  people. Murdering kids. Great target, super brave! Its hard not to hate....
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tom62

Interesting enough, none of the news reports that I've seen (in Dutch, German and English) mention the M- and I- words
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on May 24, 2017, 05:30:39 AM
Interesting enough, none of the news reports that I've seen (in Dutch, German and English) mention the M- and I- words

The mention of "the so-called Islamic State", in terms of claimed responsibility, is the only use I can remember. A few Muslims have expressed their belief that this is not a valid expression of Islam.

There does seem to be a reasonable separation between the belief as interpreted by the "Muslim in the street" and a few dangerous hot-heads in this country still. There is certainly no sense of tension in Gloucester, with its reasonably high Asian population. The Muslim shopworkers etc are just carrying on as normal. No back-lash, which is a large part of IS's aims we are told. I would nit be surpised to hear of extra security at the rugby ground or at the upcoming "Tall Ships" event in the city

Trouble is, as they often say, the security agencies have to be "lucky" every time, the terrorists only have to get "lucky" once to create a slaughter. It takes at least six operatives to watch one person 24/7 and the estimated numbers of suspects varies between 50 active snd 2000 potential.

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on May 24, 2017, 08:00:12 AM

The mention of "the so-called Islamic State", in terms of claimed responsibility, is the only use I can remember. A few Muslims have expressed their belief that this is not a valid expression of Islam.

There does seem to be a reasonable separation between the belief as interpreted by the "Muslim in the street" and a few dangerous hot-heads in this country still. There is certainly no sense of tension in Gloucester, with its reasonably high Asian population. The Muslim shopworkers etc are just carrying on as normal. No back-lash, which is a large part of IS's aims we are told. I would nit be surpised to hear of extra security at the rugby ground or at the upcoming "Tall Ships" event in the city

Trouble is, as they often say, the security agencies have to be "lucky" every time, the terrorists only have to get "lucky" once to create a slaughter. It takes at least six operatives to watch one person 24/7 and the estimated numbers of suspects varies between 50 active snd 2000 potential.

Well one thing they do here in the US is profile. So if the person resembles a muslim in any way they are put on a list.

So they are potentially spreading their man power too far and too wide to be effective and then we get this.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on May 24, 2017, 06:31:45 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 24, 2017, 08:00:12 AM

Well one thing they do here in the US is profile. So if the person resembles a muslim in any way they are put on a list.

So they are potentially spreading their man power too far and too wide to be effective and then we get this.

Profiling can work but can also create false leads. Not sure what techniques are used the most in the UK but we do not have quite the plethora of security agencies you have over there. The National Criminal Intelligence Service, nearest we have to the FBI I think, is developing very fast - but probably not sufficiently manned and funded if I know my country. We slso need to develop a more integrated communication network, unless this has been done already. In the past the various services and police areas had no common radio facility for starters. Such things now need to be a national standard - including the armed forces, GCHQ and all intelligence agencies.

If you can't talk you can't co-ordinate with a few seconds timing.

I think I can see a UK armed para-military police agency, like the Gendarmarie and Carabinieri,  within the forseeable future. So far we have been very politically correct and, as a consequence, Islamic militancy develops in our prison system. Maybe we need our own Gitmo type establishment and stop worrying too much about segregating prisoners?

Harsh thoughts from a professed humanist but perhaps a sort of pragmatic utilitarianism is needed to reduce the chances of another Manchester. I would rather see proven militant Islamists fester in solitary for decades than another innocent child killed. That goes for innocent Muslim kids as well.