Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

When you were a theist.....

Started by Ali, February 17, 2012, 05:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 05:19:36 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 18, 2012, 02:17:12 PM
No problem!  It's so interesting to me to hear what different people were taught as they were growing up.  So Crockoduck, when did you start believing in evolution and dinosaurs?
Ah don't make me say...it's not been long. :-[ I can't remember when I first thought dinosaurs had to be true or that Noah ark story was crap.

I'm not a dumb person but I spent most of my life believing the dumbest things.

There, there.  Most of us that used to believe astonishingly stupid things were raised that way.  What's that old Jesuit saying?  "Give me the child until he is seven and I will show you the man"?  We should just be happy that we were able to turn from it in adulthood.  Most don't, as evidenced by the fact that something like 85% of the population (assuming you are in the US, like me) still believes.

DeterminedJuliet - isn't it funny how many people don't think that atheists can be nice?  Husband and I were at a family/friends of the family event a few months ago and an acquaintance of ours was updating us on some gossip.  She told us that so and so's husband had recently died, and no one knew until the funeral, but he was an atheist.  "Atheist" whispered, with wide eyes, of course.  She then said "And he was so nice too!"  Husband and I just smiled politely and said something like "Hmmmm." but now I wish I would have asked her "I'm sorry, why wouldn't he have been nice?"

Crocoduck

Thank you Ali your a kinder person then I Am
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Amicale

Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 05:56:27 PM

Crocoduck, no worries. :) A LOT of us are still "in recovery", and we remember all too well all the stuff that got drilled into our heads as kids/teens/young adults. Been there, done that!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Crocoduck

Quote from: Amicale on February 18, 2012, 06:02:15 PM

Crocoduck, no worries. :) A LOT of us are still "in recovery", and we remember all too well all the stuff that got drilled into our heads as kids/teens/young adults. Been there, done that!
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Crocoduck

Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 08:17:19 PM

I like that "in recovery" cause I have some issues!
Dobermonster
Some dude in a Tank

Amicale

Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 08:19:12 PM

I do, too. That's one of the reasons I joined HAF. For the community and fun and like-minded folks, but also to find a place that would give me a much-needed sense of balance and perspective. There's still a lot I'm thinking about. For instance, I call myself an agnostic, but not an atheist -- so I wanted to read up on why some people choose one term over the other, and in the end whether or not the distinction really matters much. And I've been a non-theist for a good while now, so I suspect this learning curve you, I and others here are on takes a good while. I'm not surprised though. After all, it's not like you can completely erase 20+ years of religion/belief and the influence it's had on your life, your perceptions, your family/social group etc.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on February 18, 2012, 10:21:02 PM

I do, too. That's one of the reasons I joined HAF. For the community and fun and like-minded folks, but also to find a place that would give me a much-needed sense of balance and perspective. There's still a lot I'm thinking about. For instance, I call myself an agnostic, but not an atheist -- so I wanted to read up on why some people choose one term over the other, and in the end whether or not the distinction really matters much. And I've been a non-theist for a good while now, so I suspect this learning curve you, I and others here are on takes a good while. I'm not surprised though. After all, it's not like you can completely erase 20+ years of religion/belief and the influence it's had on your life, your perceptions, your family/social group etc.

It took me several years to embrace the term atheist.  To be completely honest, I felt like that was a bridge that I couldn't uncross, and once I called myself an atheist, the god that I pretty much didn't believe in would send me to hell forever.  Of course, I remember very clearly being told as a child that if you ever doubt Jesus, even for one single second, you would spend eternity in hell, so you can imagine the forces I was up against.

In the end, I don't really think it matters what people call themselves, except for their own sakes.  I was scared to call myself an atheist - that's not healthy.  But if you truly are agnostic, then embrace it.  There is not a thing wrong with saying, simply, "I don't know."

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on February 18, 2012, 10:34:08 PM

It took me several years to embrace the term atheist.  To be completely honest, I felt like that was a bridge that I couldn't uncross, and once I called myself an atheist, the god that I pretty much didn't believe in would send me to hell forever.  Of course, I remember very clearly being told as a child that if you ever doubt Jesus, even for one single second, you would spend eternity in hell, so you can imagine the forces I was up against.

In the end, I don't really think it matters what people call themselves, except for their own sakes.  I was scared to call myself an atheist - that's not healthy.  But if you truly are agnostic, then embrace it.  There is not a thing wrong with saying, simply, "I don't know."

Thanks, Ali. Yeah, I'm definitely agnostic. I don't know, I can't pretend I know, I'd like to keep my mind open in general but for all intents and purposes, how I live my life would certainly fall onto the secular side of things, in that I don't pray, don't worship, do embrace critical thought as well as science, etc. It's just that although it's great that others can feel sure enough to say "there's no God", I doubt I'll ever be that certain. :) I wouldn't be horribly surprised if some sort of deistic creator existed, but I reject religion as it currently exists in the world. If I went to a church at all for the community, it would be a unitarian universalist church. *shrug* As it is, the internet exists, as do message boards like this one, so I don't feel the need to.  ;D

Crocoduck

maybe the nicest most off topic posts I've ever read
Dobermonster
Some dude in a Tank

Dobermonster

Quote from: Amicale on February 18, 2012, 10:54:56 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 18, 2012, 10:34:08 PM

Thanks, Ali. Yeah, I'm definitely agnostic. I don't know, I can't pretend I know, I'd like to keep my mind open in general but for all intents and purposes, how I live my life would certainly fall onto the secular side of things, in that I don't pray, don't worship, do embrace critical thought as well as science, etc. It's just that although it's great that others can feel sure enough to say "there's no God", I doubt I'll ever be that certain. :) I wouldn't be horribly surprised if some sort of deistic creator existed, but I reject religion as it currently exists in the world. If I went to a church at all for the community, it would be a unitarian universalist church. *shrug* As it is, the internet exists, as do message boards like this one, so I don't feel the need to.  ;D

I don't think atheism is always equivalent to saying "There is no God", but I know what you mean. It took me awhile to get to saying I was an atheist rather than an agnostic, mostly because it sounded so harsh and definitive. I fully recognize that there might be a deity, but because there's no evidence in favour of this, I see no reason to believe it. For me, it's on the same level of the Loch Ness Monster. Loch Ness has been studied, throroughly explored with sonar, and there is no sign of a giant eel-creature. All tangible evidence has been shown to be false or mistakenly attributed. But . . . that bugger still might be hiding somewhere. It eventually it becomes a 'maybe' so one-sided in my mind, that I can no longer say just "I don't know" and speak truthfully. At most, I'll say "Sure, there might be. But I reeeeeally don't think so."

I hear you on still being "in recovery". Most people don't realize that losing faith also means dismantling a lifetime of opinions and prejudices that were taught to you as truth, having the insight to recognize what needs to be reworked, doing your own research to come to a better, well-informed opinion, and then overcoming the instilled fear that maybe, just maybe, your opinion is dooming you. Sucks, doesn't it? In some ways, it felt a lot better to be a theist, to feel secure in knowing all the answers, security in knowing all the moral dilemmas were solved in literal black and white, security in never having to think about life ending. It's hard to let all that go, especially for someone with a strong moral compass and a tendency to evangelize 'just a little'. Yeah, I was an annoying little tosser when I was a Christian (trying not to be now, sometimes failing).  

Crocoduck

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 18, 2012, 11:17:50 PM

I hear you on still being "in recovery". Most people don't realize that losing faith also means dismantling a lifetime of opinions and prejudices that were taught to you as truth,
PREACH THAT BROTHER!
Dobermonster
Some dude in a Tank

Crocoduck

Ali you may have started something with this thead
Dobermonster
Some dude in a Tank

Crocoduck

I wish my Mother and Father were still alive so I could yell at them......You fools Dinosaurs are real...the Earth is old and tuna casserole is nasty.
Dobermonster
Some dude in a Tank

Amicale

Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 11:52:40 PM
I wish my Mother and Father were still alive so I could yell at them......You fools Dinosaurs are real...the Earth is old and tuna casserole is nasty.

You just outed yourself as a former Protestant for sure, either Baptist or Pentacostal. Those folks especially do the covered casserole dish suppers. Amirite? ;)

Dobermonster

Quote from: Amicale on February 19, 2012, 12:14:27 AM
Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 11:52:40 PM

You just outed yourself as a former Protestant for sure, either Baptist or Pentacostal. Those folks especially do the covered casserole dish suppers. Amirite? ;)

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles. Hence why they were so popular at those pot-lucks I was forced to go to. That and an unreasonable variety of jello salads.