News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on March 13, 2018, 08:40:08 PM
Quote from: Arturo on March 13, 2018, 08:30:31 PM
And what does that mean?
:secrets1: I think they want you to read this, again...slowly:
QuoteAh, Persians aren't Arabs and Farsi, or Persian, is their national  language. Your neighbour may know some Arabic from reading the Koran if she is a Muslim, or more if she is well educated, but don't count on it, Arturo!

My misunderstanding doesn't help them anymore than it helps me. The lady in my building hardly speaks english. If I misunderstood what she said, how am I supposed to communicate what she actually said? Iran and Iraq sound similar. She is also old, so she may have dementia, not knowing who she is. If my friend at the gym can't help me speak and understand, than I marked off one possibility and getting closer to another one.

Don't question my methods. I am taking all possibilities into consideration.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on March 13, 2018, 09:38:56 PM
And what does that mean?
QuoteAh, Persians aren't Arabs and Farsi, or Persian, is their national  language. Your neighbour may know some Arabic from reading the Koran if she is a Muslim, or more if she is well educated, but don't count on it, Arturo!

My misunderstanding doesn't help them anymore than it helps me. The lady in my building hardly speaks english. If I misunderstood what she said, how am I supposed to communicate what she actually said? Iran and Iraq sound similar. She is also old, so she may have dementia, not knowing who she is. If my friend at the gym can't help me speak and understand, than I marked off one possibility and getting closer to another one.

Arturo, focus, here.
Again, read what you wrote, again.
QuoteI was asking the Arabic girl who works at the gym yesterday if she could teach me a little bit of Arabic because there is a Persian lady in my apartment building...
Now, read this, again:
QuoteAh, Persians aren't Arabs and Farsi, or Persian, is their national  language.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on March 13, 2018, 10:07:19 PM
Quote from: Arturo on March 13, 2018, 09:38:56 PM
And what does that mean?

Arturo, focus, here.
Again, read what you wrote, again.
QuoteI was asking the Arabic girl who works at the gym yesterday if she could teach me a little bit of Arabic because there is a Persian lady in my apartment building...
Now, read this, again:
QuoteAh, Persians aren't Arabs and Farsi, or Persian, is their national  language.

I know what I said. And I gave you reasons to why I said that. It's up to everyone else to extrapolate to the point where they can empathize with that. I get tired of explaining myself over and over again. It's all I seem to do here.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

Dude, it's like asking a Mexican chick to teach you some Spanish so you could talk to the Brazilian lady down the hall. They might sound similar in their speech patterns but Spanish and Portuguese are different languages.

Funny anecdote there. Several years ago I was at a meeting in DC where there were quite a few Hispanic people in attendance and one Brazilian girl. The girl gave a fiery speech in Portuguese, she really knew how to work a crowd, but nobody knew what the hell she was saying. One of the guys I knew - who was named Arturo if you can believe it - looked at me across the room with his hands in the air shaking his head to indicate he couldn't make heads or tails of what she had said. All I could do was return the gesture!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Arturo, you are not burdened with the need for explaining to us. Magdalena and Dave are merely trying to have you understand what was said about different languages and why it is useful for you to understand.  Persian ( Iranian) is not Arabic.  Iranians are adamant about the fact that they are not Arabs...repeat not Arabs.  They do not speak Arabic, they speak a different language which is mostly Farsi.  Different ball game. Please understand that no one is demeaning you. Mags and Dave are Just trying to help with an understanding of the vagaries of the cultures and their different languages.

You want to do a good Samaritan favor for another human?   Try to communicate with your neighbor and try to help her learn how to communicate in the English language.  You can do that.  It will be a worthy human endeavor that will amount to a small but meaningful deed for the benefit of mankind........and for damned sure for  the benefit of your neighbor.

Arturo

I have to explain because you guys don't get it. But that is an exercise in futility because nobody here wants to listen. Instead it's just side swipe, and then explain. Like you aren't here to know what it's like to talk to this older lady. But you don't want and know how to listen to be able to get the information I want to put out. So I'm not talking about it anymore. I'm done.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 14, 2018, 02:23:21 AM
Funny anecdote there. Several years ago I was at a meeting in DC where there were quite a few Hispanic people in attendance and one Brazilian girl. The girl gave a fiery speech in Portuguese, she really knew how to work a crowd, but nobody knew what the hell she was saying. One of the guys I knew - who was named Arturo if you can believe it - looked at me across the room with his hands in the air shaking his head to indicate he couldn't make heads or tails of what she had said. All I could do was return the gesture!

:rofl: She must have been something if she could work up a crowd without them understanding what she was saying!  8)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 14, 2018, 01:12:01 PM

:rofl: She must have been something if she could work up a crowd without them understanding what she was saying!  8)

Romance languages have that effect in my experience. Something trivial expressed with charisma in Portuguese or Spanish can seem to have deeper meaning than a profound statement in English. When you don't really know whts being said, that is.

It probably also helps when the person speaking is smoking hot. I remember looking around while she was speaking and most of the men and a few women had that... infatuated look in their eyes. When she introduced her husband lots of heads dropped.

Nice girl though. She introduced me to Yerba maté, which is just about the only hot drink I have a taste for. The steeping process with bombillo and whatnot was pretty neat too. Almost ceremonial. Her husband made the maté and told us how her father in Brazil made him steep maté over and over again before he accepted him as a son.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 14, 2018, 02:41:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 14, 2018, 01:12:01 PM

Romance languages have that effect in my experience. Something trivial expressed with charisma in Portuguese or Spanish can seem to have deeper meaning than a profound statement in English. When you don't really know whts being said, that is.

I don't know if it can seem like something more profound, but IMO romance languages in general just sound better than germanic ones, especially when spoken in a sing-songy accent. :tellmemore:

QuoteIt probably also helps when the person speaking is smoking hot. I remember looking around while she was speaking and most of the men and a few women had that... infatuated look in their eyes. When she introduced her husband lots of heads dropped.

Nice girl though. She introduced me to Yerba maté, which is just about the only hot drink I have a taste for. The steeping process with bombillo and whatnot was pretty neat too. Almost ceremonial. Her husband made the maté and told us how her father in Brazil made him steep maté over and over again before he accepted him as a son.

I had to look 'Yerba maté' up, that's a name for 'erva-mate' I have never heard before. :P Added to my vocabulary.

Mate does taste really good, and if I had to guess, they were probably from the Southern region of Brazil. They love to drink that stuff here and generally do during social gatherings, in which they pass the vessel, called cuia with a steel straw, round so that everyone has their turn.  Being a bit of a germophobe I find this a little disgusting, and usually do not partake.

jumbojak

Dangit, now I have to get a gourd and bombilla!

Dave

Well, I'm sitting here in the local library, all alone, waiting for possible customers with technology problems for the "Gadget Day". One lady using one in tbe library needed help printing a document, but that it is so far.

The other buddie has just had instructions to get something from the shop from his wife so has buggered off. There is a very attractive lady at the other end of the table, looks like she is doing research, so will have to move to the easy chairs if a customer does turn up in the next20 minutes before the library closes.

Ho, hum, the laws of such things usually demand that one either gets a queue or no-one, the latter applied this time. But John and I had a good chat for an hour.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 14, 2018, 03:40:42 PM
Well, I'm sitting here in the local library, all alone, waiting for possible customers with technology problems for the "Gadget Day". One lady using one in tbe library needed help printing a document, but that it is so far.

The other buddie has just had instructions to get something from the shop from his wife so has buggered off. There is a very attractive lady at the other end of the table, looks like she is doing research, so will have to move to the easy chairs if a customer does turn up in the next20 minutes before the library closes.

Ho, hum, the laws of such things usually demand that one either gets a queue or no-one, the latter applied this time. But John and I had a good chat for an hour.

Good day overall?

jumbojak

She was indeed from southern Brazil. I felt a little odd passing that steaming gourd with a steel straw sticling out. My first thought was that a cop was going to peek in a window and then kick in the door, mistaking the maté ritual for a bunch of people getting stoned with a massive bowl of pot.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 14, 2018, 11:04:26 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 14, 2018, 03:40:42 PM

Good day overall?

Actually . . .

After finding myself 1.5lbs under my target weight this am, thus a lunch of "smothered chicien", chocolate brownie with ice cream and half a pint of Guiness for a rare treat at the pubsturant next to the library, that chat about technology etc with Buddie John, this morning's blood test results coming in spot on the target, then  a big glass of vino with tomato bread, cheese, olives, sweet chillies and cherry tomatoes for tea, an excellent comedy prog on the radio, reading for a bit, the Hawking Reith Lecture (part 1), playing a bit with an old electronic flash gun to get the shortest possible flash out of it, some more reading with a mug of hot chocolate, listening to the world service about the case of nerve agent poisoning . . .

It's now half past midnight and I am nowhere near being able to sleep!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74