News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

"You have nothing to believe in? How sad..."

Started by Sweetdeath, July 04, 2012, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: En_Route on July 05, 2012, 12:15:30 AM
So if I say that I believe that creationism is correct you have no response?
What do you normally say to creationists?

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on July 05, 2012, 12:17:58 AM
Quote from: En_Route on July 05, 2012, 12:15:30 AM
So if I say that I believe that creationism is correct you have no response?
What do you normally say to creationists?

I don't know any. But if I did, I would tell them they were sadly mistaken.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Stevil

Quote from: En_Route on July 05, 2012, 12:26:44 AM
...and that would be your belief.

My beliefs are based on me, not others.
If AD tells me he believes in god, I won't tell him he is wrong, I might tell him that I don't believe in gods though.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 05, 2012, 12:14:16 AM
I'd probably just say "That's okay, I don't feel sad." and leave it at that.

Yeah. :)
It felt pointless to pursue it.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on July 05, 2012, 12:33:10 AM

If AD tells me he believes in god, I won't tell him he is wrong, I might tell him that I don't believe in gods though.

Seems a distinction without a difference. You believe that he is wrong.

Stevil

Quote from: En_Route on July 05, 2012, 12:54:01 AM
He is correct in that he does in fact believe that there is a god.
Unless he is lying of course.

I'm not a hard atheist, I don't have a belief that gods don't exist. I don't even know what the definition is, so I'm ignostic.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: En_Route on July 05, 2012, 12:54:01 AM

hey guys, let's not pick on AD. I didn't even mention him at all in this thread  :P

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 05, 2012, 01:44:15 AM
hey guys, let's not pick on AD. I didn't even mention him at all in this thread  :P
I'm not saying anything bad about him, hopefully I'm being respectful.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Stevil on July 05, 2012, 01:51:08 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 05, 2012, 01:44:15 AM
I'm not saying anything bad about him, hopefully I'm being respectful.
I don't think you are ^^
I just feel weird speaking of people when they aren't around, I suppose.

Carry on~ *smokes bubble pipe*

xSilverPhinx

I think you handled it well, no need to go to their level when they say the most clueless things.

Anyways, he never knows. Might so happen that one day he finds himself "sad with nothing to believe in."

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

En_Route

You are conflating two different points here. I can tell a creationist that he is mistaken, because the facts are there in the ohysical world. Of course I am stating what I believe to be the case,  as he is. That's axiomatic assuming we are representing ourselves truly. It is trite to say he is correct in that he believes what he believes. The issue is not whether he thinks he is right but whether in fact he is wrong.
You believe that you  cannot tell AD that you believe he is wrong , because you do not believe there is definitely no such thing as a Christian god. I can tell him that I believe he is wrong so far as we can tell because in my  view the Christian God is not logically possible and therefore it makes no sense to believe in something for which there is no positive evidence and very strong negative evidence.

Crow

"Its sad you don't have anything to believe in" blah blah blah blah blah tell me something you have thought of yourself, why is it always the same verbal diarrhea and what they are really saying is their own fears but thinking they are saying something cleaver, you could have picked him apart from that but certainly nice of you not to as I wouldn't have been. There is one thing I can't stand is people being condescending, especially from those that haven't read the book or even engage in the religion they say they believe in.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 11:50:53 PM
Quote from: Firebird on July 04, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
I think you handled that very well. Forgive me for saying this, but I was expecting to read that you ripped him a new body cavity  ;) He would have deserved it, but you were very effective with your measured response while sticking to your guns.

I didn't feel the need to argue. I just wanted to be honest in how i feel about life. At least living MY life. :D

That's a perfect response, I couldn't have done better myself. Well done for keeping your cool.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 11:50:53 PM
Quote from: Firebird on July 04, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
I think you handled that very well. Forgive me for saying this, but I was expecting to read that you ripped him a new body cavity  ;) He would have deserved it, but you were very effective with your measured response while sticking to your guns.

I didn't feel the need to argue. I just wanted to be honest in how i feel about life. At least living MY life. :D

Plus it might have ruined the film if you had done otherwise.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on July 05, 2012, 01:06:10 PM
"Its sad you don't have anything to believe in" blah blah blah blah blah tell me something you have thought of yourself, why is it always the same verbal diarrhea and what they are really saying is their own fears but thinking they are saying something cleaver, you could have picked him apart from that but certainly nice of you not to as I wouldn't have been. There is one thing I can't stand is people being condescending, especially from those that haven't read the book or even engage in the religion they say they believe in.

Haha, i don't get why so many of them spew garbage, but never read the actual book. It boggles me!
It's like trying to review a movie you only saw a 2 minute trailer for.