News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Internet freedom and the terrorist threat

Started by Dave, March 26, 2017, 06:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

At least on this side of the Pond there a building official opinion that there should be measures to either prevent terrorists from using social media for propaganda or communications.

Whether this is done by the providers finding ways to filter (sounds impossible) or by alowing security agencies access to encryption systems seems in the aur at the moment.

This is one of those trolleyollogy dilemmas - is it better to reduce a freedom for the greater safety or to just let everyone take the sane risks?  Not heard a lot about it from the States, but your people have big fish already frying on the griddle of public concern.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

There was a thing called net neutrality here a few years ago. I never found out exactly what it was but you can look it up if yoy like.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Oh, we've got it pretty bad. Just recently congress voted in favor of a bill that will allow ISPs to sell our browsing history and other information without our consent.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/23/senate-agrees-to-let-carriers-use-your-data-however-they-want/
QuoteThe US Senate on Thursday voted in a resolution that will effectively eliminate the consumer privacy rules that the Federal Communications Commission enacted back in October. These rules had required service providers like Verizon and AT&T to obtain the customer's permission before selling their data to advertisers.

They're not even trying to hide it behind "loss of privacy in exchange for security" bullshit, they're open about it being just for the profits of the ISPs.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.