News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Things that make you chuckle

Started by Dave, September 06, 2017, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 20, 2018, 04:38:16 PM
Quote from: Fireball on September 20, 2018, 02:41:07 PM
...I recall that it is claimed that most adults dream in b&w. ...

This doesn't make sense to me. Colours are some sort of qualitative 'brain language' that don't actually exist in the world outside our bodies. In other words, our eyes pick up light frequencies and 'translate' them into the colours we experience. Since the brain makes use of colours during wakefulness, why not during sleep as well?

OK, I went to Wikipedia, and I have a correction to make in the sense of quantity. There, the claim is that some people (~25%) claim to sometimes dream in black and white. I should do a little homework before posting. I do not ascribe to the theory that B&W TV causes this, because we didn't have a color TV until the mid-'60s when I was a teenager. I guess it would be true if I was dreaming about a cartoon I saw on Saturday morning as a child, because that cartoon was B&W! I don't know where I read this information originally; it has to be about 50 YA, though. I remember it because I paid attention to my dreams to see if it was true, after reading it. Of course, I was at an age where most dreaming was in color, anyway!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream#Color_vs._black_and_white

Dark Lightning

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 20, 2018, 04:41:48 PM
Quote from: Fireball on September 20, 2018, 04:38:07 PM
I love Mondrian's art! I'll look up Albers a little later today. As soon as I finish my breakfast, I'm off to my wood carving class.

I would love to see what you're working on and also some finished pieces.

OK. I'll make a new thread for that, though, so as not to clog this one.

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 20, 2018, 08:27:46 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 20, 2018, 07:56:03 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 20, 2018, 06:30:17 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 20, 2018, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 20, 2018, 05:46:53 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 20, 2018, 04:56:58 PM

This doesn't make sense to me. Colours are some sort of qualitative 'brain language' that don't actually exist in the world outside our bodies. In other words, our eyes pick up light frequencies and 'translate' them into the colours we experience. Since the brain makes use of colours during wakefulness, why not during sleep as well?

How I know with certainty that I dream in colour is that I have had numerous dreams where I am working on very large scale paintings in a style similar to those of Barnett Newman and Ellsworth Kelly. In my dreams I see myself planning and painting those big colour fields of pure colour in paintings of about 3m wide by 2m high. I can see the vivid reds, blues, and greens clearly in my dreams.

Do you paint while awake as well? :tellmemore:

Yes, I have done and sold a fair amount of painting and sculpture. I was even offered an exhibition by one of the Left Bank commercial galleries in Paris once, but because of the war situation in Beirut, where I was living, I couldn't do it. These days I'm doing more sculptural work.

That's so cool! I didn't know you were that accomplished. 8)

I've tried my hand at art & crafts when I was a kid, but it didn't amount to much, heh. I think I may be a bit clumsy, as I always seemed to get more paint on me than on the canvas. I was told I was creative though, at least that's something. ::)

Now, do people like neuroscientisrs and artists (and design technicians) use similar parts of their brains to create and "project" mental images I wonder? I have to "see" what I want mentally before I can create it in the physical world. Does a brainworker or surgeon build a mental "map", but like the others, adjusting it to fit reality (or final form for the creative jobs) as the work progresses?

But art and engineering tend to evolve the concept physically as progress is made, the medical worker has to evolve the theory to suit the physical facts,.

I can only speak for myself. Something (a shape, a piece of music, a texture) triggers a flash or a mental image that I then feel compelled to create. I guess one can call it inspiration. But during the creation process serendipity can play a big part. I enjoy and exploit "happy accidents".

Trsnsfering this to a new thread.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 20, 2018, 09:01:52 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 20, 2018, 08:27:46 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 20, 2018, 07:56:03 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 20, 2018, 06:30:17 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 20, 2018, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 20, 2018, 05:46:53 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 20, 2018, 04:56:58 PM

How I know with certainty that I dream in colour is that I have had numerous dreams where I am working on very large scale paintings in a style similar to those of Barnett Newman and Ellsworth Kelly. In my dreams I see myself planning and painting those big colour fields of pure colour in paintings of about 3m wide by 2m high. I can see the vivid reds, blues, and greens clearly in my dreams.

Do you paint while awake as well? :tellmemore:

Yes, I have done and sold a fair amount of painting and sculpture. I was even offered an exhibition by one of the Left Bank commercial galleries in Paris once, but because of the war situation in Beirut, where I was living, I couldn't do it. These days I'm doing more sculptural work.

That's so cool! I didn't know you were that accomplished. 8)

I've tried my hand at art & crafts when I was a kid, but it didn't amount to much, heh. I think I may be a bit clumsy, as I always seemed to get more paint on me than on the canvas. I was told I was creative though, at least that's something. ::)

Now, do people like neuroscientisrs and artists (and design technicians) use similar parts of their brains to create and "project" mental images I wonder? I have to "see" what I want mentally before I can create it in the physical world. Does a brainworker or surgeon build a mental "map", but like the others, adjusting it to fit reality (or final form for the creative jobs) as the work progresses?

But art and engineering tend to evolve the concept physically as progress is made, the medical worker has to evolve the theory to suit the physical facts,.

I can only speak for myself. Something (a shape, a piece of music, a texture) triggers a flash or a mental image that I then feel compelled to create. I guess one can call it inspiration. But during the creation process serendipity can play a big part. I enjoy and exploit "happy accidents".

Trsnsfering this to a new thread.

Art and design, how does it work?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Thanks, haven't  learned how to do that link yet.

Oh, just like any other one, eh?

El stoopido!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 20, 2018, 10:16:52 PM
Thanks, haven't  learned how to do that link yet.

Oh, just like any other one, eh?

El stoopido!

Join the club.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 22, 2018, 02:05:16 AM

One of the Star Trek books was about the Klingons. Having glanced through it in the bookshop I never bought it. Every 20th word was in Klingon and, hitting something that you could not "pronounce" mentally was like hitting a mental brick wall - my brain just stopped.

Finding an 'alien" word like, "trnsttn," the brain can substitute "trainstation" as a pronouncable 'mis-translation' to be getting on with. However, something like "gbkz'tg" offers no way out for me without some time cogitating!

xSilverPhinx

Dave

Well, of course I know nothing about your sartorial styles or kinky habits but - if you happen to have any stone underwear you wish to temporarily attach to the fridge these are obviously made just for you!

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Dave on September 23, 2018, 06:35:37 PM
Well, of course I know nothing about your sartorial styles or kinky habits but - if you happen to have any stone underwear you wish to temporarily attach to the fridge these are obviously made just for you!

Must be some new kind of chastity belt!

Bluenose

Quote from: Dave on September 23, 2018, 06:35:37 PM

Ain't no way I'd be putting Neodymium magnets anywhere near my not for pinching delicate bits!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz