News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Saying Hello

Started by TeresaBenedicta, May 04, 2011, 04:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 06, 2011, 10:05:32 PM
People are very resistent to change. We are creatures of habit.

It's an interesting tension, isn't it?  The push for progress and innovation... and the resistance to change.

Creates quite the dynamic.
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

The Black Jester

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 06, 2011, 10:13:12 PM
Quote from: Stevil on May 06, 2011, 10:05:32 PM
People are very resistent to change. We are creatures of habit.

It's an interesting tension, isn't it?  The push for progress and innovation... and the resistance to change.

Creates quite the dynamic.

At times it creates a strange synthesis of the traditional and the progressive.

Almost there, TeresaBenedicta! (to 50, I mean)...
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: The Black Jester on May 06, 2011, 10:15:50 PM
At times it creates a strange synthesis of the traditional and the progressive.

Almost there, TeresaBenedicta! (to 50, I mean)...

Take what is good from the old and go forward.  That's my motto, anyways.

Y'all are distracting me from my work... but I'm almost there (cue in "Princess and the Frog" music)!
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Stevil

Quote from: amppax on May 06, 2011, 08:33:41 PM
Flock sounds good, not derogatory at all. As for Atheists... how about an avalon of Atheists (avalon is the term for a group of albatross)? I think that sounds pretty cool ;D Hope it doesn't sound derogatory, not meant to be.

Does sound nice but I don't know what it means (maybe it doesn't have to have a meaning).
Going by the poem "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" the albatros is the bird of good omen.
That could have a good spin to it.

Tank

Many moons ago at Richard Dawkins Forum I started a thread about what the collective noun for atheists could be, I think it was quite insightful that we couldn't reach a conclusion! I think my favourite was a heard as in 'heard of cats'. Another that I recall was a 'Dawkins of Atheists'  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 08, 2011, 08:19:38 PM
Many moons ago at Richard Dawkins Forum I started a thread about what the collective noun for atheists could be, I think it was quite insightful that we couldn't reach a conclusion! I think my favourite was a heard as in 'heard of cats'. Another that I recall was a 'Dawkins of Atheists'  :D

lol A Dawkins of athiests...love it! :D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

thedport

Hello and welcome, I to am very new to this site but so far everyone on here is super nice and respectfull. I hope your time on here is as good as mine.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55