Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

I'm the new kid on the block.

Started by PapistItalian16, May 02, 2011, 06:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Stevil on May 06, 2011, 08:41:44 PM
Hey PapistItalian16

Only 35 posts to go then we can get into some decent theological discussions?
BTW, How old are you, what do you do for fun (besides bible study  :))
Any hobbies, interests, what country do you live in?

I know. Cant wait. hahaha

I'm 16 from central New York(US)

My big hobby is reenacting. I am a member of a group that re-creates units from the French & Indian war(Seven Years War) and the American War of Independence.
My Unit's site :http://www.secondalbany.org/

And I like Bible study. hahahaha  :D
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

Stevil

Reenacting sounds like a fun way to learn history although I wouldn't ever want to be in a war for real.
I think the opening stanza of Saving Private Ryan was pretty good. Destoys the myth of invincible heros.

Tank

Now I know you're 16 I'll say hi. You're intro was quite immature and now I know why ;D When joining a group with world view(s) very different from oneself it's not a good idea to be quite so 'in your face' if you want to be taken seriously.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Stevil on May 08, 2011, 11:19:45 AM
Reenacting sounds like a fun way to learn history although I wouldn't ever want to be in a war for real.
I think the opening stanza of Saving Private Ryan was pretty good. Destoys the myth of invincible heros.

I have always loved that movie, though right know I cant recall the opening stanza.

Quote from: Tank on May 08, 2011, 12:20:46 PM
Now I know you're 16 I'll say hi. You're intro was quite immature and now I know why ;D When joining a group with world view(s) very different from oneself it's not a good idea to be quite so 'in your face' if you want to be taken seriously.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

hahahahaha. Well, that certaintly wasnt my intention with it, but I had figured that was what "Introductions" were all about. hahaha

And thanks!
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

Illbethewriter

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 08, 2011, 03:54:55 AM

My big hobby is reenacting. I am a member of a group that re-creates units from the French & Indian war(Seven Years War) and the American War of Independence.

Lol is that like the same thing that they do on that film?.... What's it called.... erm... Role Models? I never thought that was a real thing! That's hilarious! Only in America <3
"On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives [...] on a mote of dust suspended on a sunbeam." - Carl Sagan

Stevil

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 02, 2011, 06:41:50 AM
I'll start by posting the Apostles Creed, so that you know what I beleive in.

I wish for my experince on this forum to be one that will, through debate and descussion, help me to grow in my faith. Debates have a way of doing that.

I didn't think it was immature at all. It was a clear and to the point declaration of you belief and then a very good and decent declaration of your intent at the bottom, showing that you wanted to learn and grow. I thought it was a very good intro.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on May 08, 2011, 08:03:43 PM
Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 02, 2011, 06:41:50 AM
I'll start by posting the Apostles Creed, so that you know what I beleive in.

I wish for my experince on this forum to be one that will, through debate and descussion, help me to grow in my faith. Debates have a way of doing that.

I didn't think it was immature at all. It was a clear and to the point declaration of you belief and then a very good and decent declaration of your intent at the bottom, showing that you wanted to learn and grow. I thought it was a very good intro.
I'm a little (actually a lot) cynical.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Illbethewriter on May 08, 2011, 01:58:30 PM
Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 08, 2011, 03:54:55 AM

Lol is that like the same thing that they do on that film?.... What's it called.... erm... Role Models? I never thought that was a real thing! That's hilarious! Only in America <3

NOOO Dont get what I do confused with LARP!! hahahaha. We arent that nerdy. Lol. Well...maybe just a tad bit.

We use real reproductions of British and French military muskets from the time. And we shoot blanks with real black powder at each other. It's a little more satisfying than swinging a foam pool noodle with a pvc pipe in the center. hahahaha.

-- Firefly.

Crow

Quote from: Illbethewriter on May 08, 2011, 01:58:30 PM

Not just in America, a member of my family dresses up as a viking at the weekend with a bunch of others and run around a field acting out some sort of battle (honestly have never been interested enough to ask why).

Hi PapistItalian16 by the way. Welcome to HAF.
Retired member.

Illbethewriter

Quote from: Crow on May 10, 2011, 03:04:37 AM

Not just in America, a member of my family dresses up as a viking at the weekend with a bunch of others and run around a field acting out some sort of battle (honestly have never been interested enough to ask why).

Hi PapistItalian16 by the way. Welcome to HAF.

Haha really? That's cracking!
Also to PapistItalian16 - I couldn't do the shooting blanks things. I have a phobia of bangs - fireworks, balloons, anything! If a balloon is in the room I'm always really anxious about it, and I never used to have balloons at my birthday parties :(
"On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives [...] on a mote of dust suspended on a sunbeam." - Carl Sagan

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Illbethewriter on May 10, 2011, 02:30:27 PM
Also to PapistItalian16 - I couldn't do the shooting blanks things. I have a phobia of bangs - fireworks, balloons, anything! If a balloon is in the room I'm always really anxious about it, and I never used to have balloons at my birthday parties :(

I am extremely afraid of baloons. hahahahaha. When I was little, one popped and a peice of rubber went down my throught. I almost choked. Now I get jumpy when I am around them. Lol.

-- Firefly.

Illbethewriter

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 10, 2011, 11:42:40 PM

I am extremely afraid of baloons. hahahahaha. When I was little, one popped and a peice of rubber went down my throught. I almost choked. Now I get jumpy when I am around them. Lol.

At least your fear is slightly rational! I think I associate the bangs with being hurt - yet it's funny that I don't mind gun shots on the tv. I cried when I was taken clay pidgeon shooting. I ran out of the booth because the bang I'd heard from the booth next to me was so loud I dreaded to here what it would sound like if I shot the gun!

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Illbethewriter on May 11, 2011, 12:39:31 PM
At least your fear is slightly rational! I think I associate the bangs with being hurt - yet it's funny that I don't mind gun shots on the tv. I cried when I was taken clay pidgeon shooting. I ran out of the booth because the bang I'd heard from the booth next to me was so loud I dreaded to here what it would sound like if I shot the gun!

That's pretty interesting. lol.

My friends are constantly breaking my chops about the baloon thing. hahaha.

And I like guns too much to be afraid of them. LOL.

-- Firefly.

thedport

Welcome I am looking forward to getting past the 50 post restriction and having some good rational debate, hopefully I will see you in the other sections.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55