News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

All things brain...

Started by Claireliontamer, July 12, 2017, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Arturo on August 26, 2017, 03:30:44 PM

That seems to me to be all that a wav file is, just converted over to piano keys at a reduced "bitrate". If you reduce the samples per second on sound files, it would have a similar effect.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 27, 2017, 01:16:34 AM
Check this out:

Association areas, possibly?
That used to work on me, but not anymore. Now it just looks like his mouth is moving wrong when he does the 'fa' motion.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on August 27, 2017, 09:08:23 AM
I have virtually no interest in music at all, it was never part of my childhood and I never got to be attracted to it as I grew. I own, naybe, 6 CDs and played one of them last about five years ago. If a music programme comes on the radio I tune to a talk orog ir turn it off.

But it is impossible to totally shut out music in this media driven world so, despite myself, I can recognise lots of vlassical and modern tunes and even remember some words to some popular songs. So yes, if I hear a rhythm that my brain recognises, even if only partially, it will try to fill the gaps. I may even remember the title if I think about it.

But it may be more due to a "subliminal" effect, the unconscious absorption and memory of a "passing" experience whilst my conscious mind is occupied with something totally different.

Music is great, I love it. :grin:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on August 28, 2017, 04:15:02 PM
That used to work on me, but not anymore. Now it just looks like his mouth is moving wrong when he does the 'fa' motion.

Interesting. :chin:

joeactor

xSP - great "Connectome" video. Interesting stuff...

As for the music auditory illusion, I wonder if you'd hear words if you didn't know the original song. Or if the song was in another language (like Italian).

... and from a movie/commercial viewpoint, music can definitely alter attention. I think it can make some subjects and concepts easier to learn and remember. It may make the brain more receptive to advertising... MIND CONTROL!!!

My favorite music for a commercial product was "By Mennen!"
Simple, memorable, earworm.

(at the end of this spot:)_

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: joeactor on August 28, 2017, 11:58:13 PM
... MIND CONTROL!!!

:panic: :worried:

QuoteMy favorite music for a commercial product was "By Mennen!"
Simple, memorable, earworm.

(at the end of this spot:)_

Byyyyy Mennen.

Buy Mennen?

joeactor

Icarus

Mennen speed sticks still work. I buy them at the dollar store for....you guessed it, one dollar.  I can buy the same ones at the drug store or grocery store for about five dollars. 

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

I want to adopt that kid. She is precious......and obviously quite precocious.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on November 19, 2017, 04:18:42 AM
I want to adopt that kid. She is precious......and obviously quite precocious.

And she is so obviously not just parroting something she learned by rote. How much she actually understsnds . . .

Hope she plays with dolls as well.

There was a six year old boy ftom Syria interviewed, he was more articulate and informed, in English, than most of the adults I have heard. Pity that he was not then able to get out, I would sponsor him if I could.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 29, 2017, 01:41:03 PM
Just leaving this here. :grin:

http://www.brainfacts.org/

I see my inner, and outer, primate everytime I look in the mirror!

Icarus

NPR (National Public Radio) today had an interview with a most interesting man who had some sort of brain damage as a youth.  He had never been musically inclined and had no particular interest in music although his grandmother was an accomplished organist.  He had a swimming pool accident...diving into the shallow end of the pool and busting his head severely.  After a few weeks of recovery, he found that he could play the piano and play classical music without knowing how or why he could do so. He became a music savant. apparently as a result of a head injury.

Has anyone ever heard of similar phenomena as applied to brain function?  Is there a mutant musical gene, math gene, writing gene,  or something?

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on December 30, 2017, 11:07:41 PM
NPR (National Public Radio) today had an interview with a most interesting man who had some sort of brain damage as a youth.  He had never been musically inclined and had no particular interest in music although his grandmother was an accomplished organist.  He had a swimming pool accident...diving into the shallow end of the pool and busting his head severely.  After a few weeks of recovery, he found that he could play the piano and play classical music without knowing how or why he could do so. He became a music savant. apparently as a result of a head injury.

Has anyone ever heard of similar phenomena as applied to brain function?  Is there a mutant musical gene, math gene, writing gene,  or something?

Certainly heard of
, to use that unPC term "idiot savants" who have had a nstural flair to learn music and an kndtrument but I think even they needed some period of familiarisstion.

One young lad could hear a piece of music once, play it "straight" immediately then play any number of variations - straight out of his head.