News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Do beliefs inform behaviour?

Started by Tank, March 22, 2012, 09:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

This got posted in the Atheist Image Dump thread.

It got me thinking that which came first, the belief of the behaviour? If one's beliefs, or world view if you prefer, don't cause one's behaviour what does?

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Tank on March 22, 2012, 09:13:45 PM

It got me thinking that which came first, the belief of the behaviour? If one's beliefs, or world view if you prefer, don't cause one's behaviour what does?

I think it would depend on the particular belief. My world view is based around the simple principle of non-agression. That is the principle from which I derive my morals. Although most people may not live their lives around that principle, they still follow it in many aspects of life. I think the two are symbiotic in most aspects though. An individuals beliefs contribute to their world view, and their world view contributes to their beliefs.

There just seem to be to many variables to answer this question fully. If we are discussing children, their worldview or beliefs, are likely a result of what the family believes.

I suppose I would answer with the following:

We are all indoctrinated to certain degree during childhood, and we all have different life experiences. I think the matter of what came first will differ greatly from individual to individual. Some develop the behavior, before adopting the philosophy or religion that supports such behaviors. Others find a religion or philosophy and choose to live their lives based on that moral framework. Or, in the case of many religions, persecuting those who don't follow that moral code, while doing the same thing in cheap motels.

I hope my thoughts make sense; I know sometimes they don't.

For me personally, it was a principle I always lived by, I simply didn't realize it. Acts of aggression were what made me first question the justness of both government and religion. I simply found a philosophy that already fit into my belief structure, and helped me bring my logic to it logical conclussions.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

xSilverPhinx

The problem with linking beliefs to behaviour is that leaves out all the environmental factors that cause people to act a certain way.

Take Christans for example. Some believe in the goody side of Jesus' message, but do they actually do what he says?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

I think behaviour is largely how we measure the "goodness" of other people, so it's a pretty valuable way to think of things, I think. It certainly makes more sense to think of someone who "acts" in a "good" (whatever that means) way, but has "bad" beliefs is probably better than someone who "believes" in something "good" but acts in a "bad" way. Forgive all the quotation marks. 

There are a lot of abstracts involved, so it's hard to agree or disagree without getting into an argument about morals and "what is good, what is bad, etc". But, by in large, I trust in the actions of people moreso than what they say they believe.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 23, 2012, 01:22:20 AM
But, by in large, I trust in the actions of people moreso than what they say they believe.

I feel the incredible urge to quote Batman here:

It's what you do that defines you.

The wise Batman never said anything about belief... ;)

Sweetdeath

I believe our actions define us, but also how we think takes a large part.
If you say "oh, I have gay friends, but I dont believe their lifestyle is right and I dont support it" -- I believe you are an asshole, and a hypocrit.

So I really think it is kinda both.

Also, if you were taught to believe something as a kid, even if it is wrong, you may  believe strongly it is right.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Interesting thoughts there. I wonder how much of a persons actions are considered vs impulsive vs reactionary? And how much one's beliefs shape ones behaviour in any given circumstance?

There is some evidence the decision making is rarely logical in the classical sense. If you stick somebody in a brain scanner and ask them to make a choice and then explain that choice the areas of the brain used are different. At the point of choice the whole brain is active, during the explanation only some selective areas associated with higher functions are active. The implication is that behaviour is controlled by experience that has been reinforced by repetition and beliefs really have limited initial impact. Behaviour appears to be rooted in the subconscious.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

World view plays part in behaviour, I think, but there is a lot more to it.

It's all interconnected, but personality, mood, the disposition towards and of the surroundings, world views, instincts... They all play a part and many play parts in each other.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2012, 07:54:19 AM
Interesting thoughts there. I wonder how much of a persons actions are considered vs impulsive vs reactionary? And how much one's beliefs shape ones behaviour in any given circumstance?

There is some evidence the decision making is rarely logical in the classical sense. If you stick somebody in a brain scanner and ask them to make a choice and then explain that choice the areas of the brain used are different. At the point of choice the whole brain is active, during the explanation only some selective areas associated with higher functions are active. The implication is that behaviour is controlled by experience that has been reinforced by repetition and beliefs really have limited initial impact. Behaviour appears to be rooted in the subconscious.

Yeah. I think about if a kid is taught to hate from a young age,   it may be very hard or even impossible for him to break that mindset.

Let's say, for example; a kid's parent hates mexicans and generalises them as a bad stereotype overall. His/her kid sees this kind of behavior and thinks it normal. So even if the kid grows and sees mexicans in school,being normal and friendly, he /she may hate them without really realizing.

I'm not sure if I explained that alright xD

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 23, 2012, 11:31:57 AM

Yeah. I think about if a kid is taught to hate from a young age,   it may be very hard or even impossible for him to break that mindset.

Let's say, for example; a kid's parent hates mexicans and generalises them as a bad stereotype overall. His/her kid sees this kind of behavior and thinks it normal. So even if the kid grows and sees mexicans in school,being normal and friendly, he /she may hate them without really realizing.

I'm not sure if I explained that alright xD
I think you summed it up perfectly. It is difficult to overcome childhood indoctrination, very difficult. But it can be done as evidenced by all the ex-theists here.

xSilverPhinx

They put one in a fMRI and it showed that the time gap between his brain making a decision and him being consciously aware of the decision he made was 6 seconds. Thats a hell of a long time.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 23, 2012, 04:36:10 PM

They put one in a fMRI and it showed that the time gap between his brain making a decision and him being consciously aware of the decision he made was 6 seconds. Thats a hell of a long time.

And perfectly reasonable when one considers the selection pressures our ancestors evolved under. When a predator attacks one needs to react 'instinctively'. One can argue the benefits of running, or climbing a tree, later; but only if one survives!

Twentythree

Quote from: Tank on March 22, 2012, 09:13:45 PM
This got posted in the Atheist Image Dump thread.

I don't think that this question can be answered beliefs or the propensity to believe is a behavior. Just as thinking is a behavior a belief is simply a concrete thought regarding certain realities. Beilefs are dynamic and can be changed therefore they are not innate like a heartbeat but learned and expressed. believing is behaving.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Twentythree on March 23, 2012, 06:11:36 PM
believing is behaving.

Where does hypocrisy fit into this? Unless the beliefs themselves are hypocritical, for instance, "I believe in applying the Golden Rule, unless it involves me as the victim".

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 23, 2012, 07:21:47 PM
Quote from: Twentythree on March 23, 2012, 06:11:36 PM
believing is behaving.

Where does hypocrisy fit into this? Unless the beliefs themselves are hypocritical, for instance, "I believe in applying the Golden Rule, unless it involves me as the victim".

Perhaps hypocrisy or exceptions could be an indication of not really believing.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.