News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

a Christian on atheistforum

Started by Asmodean Prime, July 10, 2006, 08:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

just thought i'd see why people join a website like this, i mean, are you proud of being an atheist?

i am a Christian myself.  it fills me with horror to think that people can be atheist and proud of it, and not fear God.

Asmodean Prime

Thank you, and welcome.  Yes, I am horribly ashamed of my beliefs.  The only solace I have achieved is the knowledge of you filled wih horror.  Somehow, this gives me gratification.  Go figure.  As for God, if he existed as conceptualized by you, certainly I would fear him/her/it.  That is one schizophrenic mofo.

Whitney

I'm proud to be an atheist because it is the result of my own search for truth and journey through free thought.

Anyway, I use to be a Christian too.  So I can imagine why it would bother you to realize others don't believe in God.

Can I ask why you decided to join?...hopefully not to just ask if we are proud of our worldviews.

Court

I am proud to be a voice of reason among the delusional. I am a freethinker and I'm tired of being stereotyped because of it. The more we proclaim our non-beliefs, the more fairly we will be treated. Hiding in the corner never achieved anything positive.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Amor Fati

Welcome to the forum.  

I don't know, maybe "proud" is the right word.  If you believe that you've discovered the truth, a truth that 90% of the US hasn't discovered yet, then there's definitely a sense of serenity.  I doubt that atheists experience shame, though the closeted one's will experience discomfort around obnoxious fundamentalists.

Amor Fati

Actually, I'm horrified at your horror.  My feet are becoming a little warm, and why does it smell like burning hair in here?

McQ

Quote from: "onlyme"just thought i'd see why people join a website like this, i mean, are you proud of being an atheist?

i am a Christian myself.  it fills me with horror to think that people can be atheist and proud of it, and not fear God.

Before I post a reply to your post, let me just ask you what it is that makes you a Christian. Is it simply saying the words, "I am a Christian"? Was it something you had to do?  Baptism, Christening? Accept Jesus into your heart, as an adult? What act or action? What is it that defines you personally, as a Christian? Keep it simple.

This is for you, specifically, onlyme. No one else. Then we'll get down to brass tacks.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MommaSquid

Oh, look.  Our first christian drive by.  How sweet.

Asmodean Prime

to all of you who expressed an interest in my posts, firstly i am a Christian because i got in trouble when i was 15 and got locked up.  Jesus Himself came into my life, and saved me, and set me free, and even spoke to me.  I know for a fact He's real, from personal experience.  also, how can anything else in life really matter if God is not behind it?  for example, how can you look at your kids and not be thankful for them?  or believe they came from monkeys, or are just the result of a meaningless cosmic accident.  that isnt valuing them, i dont think.  Besides, God represents and teaches whats best for us, its just people who dont live up to His ideal, so He gets the blame.

also, as regards this forum, i was wondering why you lot get together to discuss something that you don't believe in.  if people share a belief in something, they can get together and discuss it, but how or why do you share a discussion about what you DONT believe in?

Big Mac

Actually we get together and talk about relevant issues regarding atheists and persecution we face from the religious. Often atheists are portrayed as soulless creatures who eat babies or some other rubbish that we're "Lost, angry, and confused at God and Jesus". Evolution does not say we come from "monkeys". We come from a common ancestor as other apes do. We share nearly 99% of our genetic code with Chimpanzees, one would assume that somewhere along there was a divergence in the genetic pool to creature the two species.

Please spare us the whole, "I was once a horrible sinner but I got saved while being plugged by Bubba" routine. I don't care if you were a rapist and got saved by Jesus, that doesn't validate your claim. Parole boards love to hear about a born again convict and probably hear it too often.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

McQ

Quote from: "onlyme"to all of you who expressed an interest in my posts, firstly i am a Christian because i got in trouble when i was 15 and got locked up.  Jesus Himself came into my life, and saved me, and set me free, and even spoke to me.  I know for a fact He's real, from personal experience.  also, how can anything else in life really matter if God is not behind it?  for example, how can you look at your kids and not be thankful for them?  or believe they came from monkeys, or are just the result of a meaningless cosmic accident.  that isnt valuing them, i dont think.  Besides, God represents and teaches whats best for us, its just people who dont live up to His ideal, so He gets the blame.

also, as regards this forum, i was wondering why you lot get together to discuss something that you don't believe in.  if people share a belief in something, they can get together and discuss it, but how or why do you share a discussion about what you DONT believe in?

Well, we're not going to get very far if you can't answer the simple question I posed to you. I'll wait for your answer to what specific act or action you did to become a Christian. Just saying that Jesus "came into" your life and saved you and that you spoke to him doesn't tell me anything. What did YOU do? I'm asking you this because as a person raised Roman Catholic I know that there are multiple arguments as to how one can be called "Christian". I left that church and became a "Born Again" Christian in college. I had to make a deliberate action in order to do that. So I'm asking you what route you took. Take the time to try and answer it properly so we have a starting point. Otherwise you are wasting my time and yours, because we won't even be able to come to an agreement as to what a "Christian" is. Or even how to become one. Let's try and get that done first. Then we can talk.

Additionally, don't assume that the people here haven't been where you are right now. That would be arrogant and wrong. I taught Sunday School in a Southern Baptist Church to adults and high school students. I have been through two year-long intensive Bible studies.

I am very pleased, thankful and thrilled every time I look at my kids or even think about them, for that matter. I don't need any god to help me with that.

I no longer consider myself a Christian, because I no longer believe there is a God, god, or gods of any kind. No horrible experience led me to this conclusion, just common sense, rational thinking and studying the Bible. I highly recommend intensive Bible study to assist anyone who wants to see how bogus the Bible is, by the way.

Now, don't forget to answer the initial question I posed. Ignore answering these other paragraphs. They were to give you some idea of who you were talking to. We'll get to them in time.
--Penn Jillette

Jassman

Quote from: "onlyme"just thought i'd see why people join a website like this, i mean, are you proud of being an atheist?

I, for one, am proud of being an atheist. It gives me a great sense of pride to know that I was able to break the brainwashing indoctrination of my youth through proper critical thinking. Once you really take a look at Christianity from an objective point-of-view and admit that there is no evidence that it is true, the whole thing can be seen quite obviously as an elaborate fraud. Step out of faith for just a second and you will see it all begin to tear apart at the seams.

Why do you have to fear a being that supposedly loves you?

Quote from: "onlyme"also, as regards this forum, i was wondering why you lot get together to discuss something that you don't believe in.  if people share a belief in something, they can get together and discuss it, but how or why do you share a discussion about what you DONT believe in?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I come to this forum for a lot of reasons. I  come here to discuss religion's (primarily Christianity's) affect on rights and freedoms and the social stigma placed on atheism. I come here because I've noticed that atheists have similar perspectives to me on a multitude of other issues as well. I also come here because I enjoy communicating with people about complex issues and cultural taboos and because I have come to respect a lot of the people that post here (many of them I had previously met on whywontgodhealamputees.com). Many of my friends/acquaintances in real life aren't interested in talking about things like this, so this forum satisfies another need that would be impossible without the internet.

Quote from: "Big Mac"Often atheists are portrayed as soulless creatures

We are soulless creatures. But so are the Christians, Muslims, and Jews.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

McQ

I also come in here because I like to see the words, "Medicine Hat, Alberta", and this is the only place I can see them regularly.
 :lol:
--Penn Jillette

TwistOfCain

Hello, onlyme. Personally, it fills me with sadness that a person can devote their life to a ghost in the sky and ignore their fellow humans, thinking about nothing but death. But that's me.
Not about to see your light
But if you wanna find Hell with me
I can show you what it's like.
-Danzig, Mother

"I AM THOTH! AND I WILL NOT BE HUMBLED -- BY MAN OR GOD!"
-Thoth-Amon, The Book of Thoth

Jassman

Quote from: "McQ"I also come in here because I like to see the words, "Medicine Hat, Alberta", and this is the only place I can see them regularly.
 :lol:

Hahaha well in another 2 months it will read "Calgary, Alberta" so I take it you'll be leaving then, huh?
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised