News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Human Sperm Gene Is 600 Million Years Old

Started by Tank, July 25, 2010, 06:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Human Sperm Gene Is 600 Million Years Old
QuoteScienceDaily (July 16, 2010) â€" Just as styles in sexy clothes or fashion change from year to year and culture to culture, "sexy" genes, or genes specific to sex, also change rapidly. But there is one sex-specific gene so vital, its function has remained unaltered throughout evolution and is found in almost all animals, according to new research from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine...

Interesting that sexual reproduction took a long time to arrive but when it did one of the underpinning genes really stuck around!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Heretical Rants

Male contraceptive steroids? No thanks.
If I ever want to sterilize myself I'd prefer a vasectomy. Seems less risky.
QuoteWhen Xu's research group knocked out the Boule gene from a mouse, the animal appeared to be healthy but did not produce sperm.

"A sperm-specific gene like Boule is an ideal target for a male contraceptive drug," Xu noted.

Martin TK

Quote from: "Tank"Human Sperm Gene Is 600 Million Years Old
QuoteScienceDaily (July 16, 2010) â€" Just as styles in sexy clothes or fashion change from year to year and culture to culture, "sexy" genes, or genes specific to sex, also change rapidly. But there is one sex-specific gene so vital, its function has remained unaltered throughout evolution and is found in almost all animals, according to new research from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine...

Interesting that sexual reproduction took a long time to arrive but when it did one of the underpinning genes really stuck around!

I knew mine were OLD, just didn't realize they were that OLD...  lol
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

alairellis23

After read that article I think that the gene originated then, so what it evolved from is unknown. The research is showing the common ancestral origin for that particular gene.

Tank

Quote from: "alairellis23"After read that article I think that the gene originated then, so what it evolved from is unknown. The research is showing the common ancestral origin for that particular gene.
Hi Welcome aboard.

To say that what the gene evolved from is 'unknown' isn't quite the whole story as we do know that the gene came from something very, very similar, which is the primary driving force behind natural (forgive my if I am teaching my grandma to suck eggs!). It is however very impressive that a gene can be replicated through so many different organisms over such an immense period of time. A bit like visual pigment genes which are also remarkably stable.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.