News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

New here

Started by waitin4godot, May 24, 2012, 08:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll fit in nicely here.  :)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

I read waiting for Godot a couple of years ago, though I've never seen it performed. I like some silly pointless-ness.
Welcome :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 24, 2012, 02:54:21 PM
I read waiting for Godot a couple of years ago, though I've never seen it performed. I like some silly pointless-ness.

I've seen two productions. It is a profound But darkly humorous piece about the pointlessness of human existence and the fantasies we  engage in to fend off the realisation of our solitude in a universe devoid of meaning. The play itself is very far from being a piece of silly pointlessness.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Welcome to the forum.  What is godot? Maybe I have something to add to my things to read list now.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Ali

OOOh, Waiting for Godot!  Haha, when I first saw your name, I read it as waiting for god, ot (which I took to mean "Old Testament.")  I was expecting something a little different from the user name.  :D  Welcome!

waitin4godot

Quote from: Ali on May 24, 2012, 08:22:08 PM
OOOh, Waiting for Godot!  Haha, when I first saw your name, I read it as waiting for god, ot (which I took to mean "Old Testament.")  I was expecting something a little different from the user name.  :D  Welcome!
hihihi  that was funny...OT? i beg you no :'(.. LOL

waitin4godot

Quote from: OldGit on May 24, 2012, 01:48:50 PM
I see on the TV that you have some disturbances right now between pro- and anti-Assad groups.  Have I got that right?  Are you affected by it?
yea the country is divided..we're trying hard to avoid the sectarian conflicts as per Syrian regime's wish i guess...it's a daily struggle until "something" happens...so i guess it is really "waiting for godot"

waitin4godot

Quote from: En_Route on May 24, 2012, 05:17:21 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 24, 2012, 02:54:21 PM

I've seen two productions. It is a profound But darkly humorous piece about the pointlessness of human existence and the fantasies we  engage in to fend off the realisation of our solitude in a universe devoid of meaning. The play itself is very far from being a piece of silly pointlessness.
exactly..

EDIT: Tweaked quotes - Tank

markmcdaniel

Welcome. Its always good to get a new perspective.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche