Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

I Live in the Laziest City in Florida

Started by Nam, February 27, 2016, 11:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

http://www.zippia.com/advice/laziest-places-in-florida/

Woohoo! We're #1 We're #1.

I actually agree with a lot of it. I disagree with the commute time analysis. I live in a farming community, and the town itself is pretty small compared to some others. But you notice the top ten lazy cities in Florida are mainly under 10,000 people? Can a city so small actually be compared to a city of 50,000 or 100,000?

Maybe I don't get that science.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Recusant

Their criteria certainly seem questionable to me. For one thing, I don't think that a high unemployment rate correlates directly with laziness, and the rest of that list is just as dubious. In fact, this seems to be a very good example of the "poverty = laziness" theme.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Nam

Quote from: Recusant on February 28, 2016, 09:43:26 AM
Their criteria certainly seem questionable to me. For one thing, I don't think that a high unemployment rate correlates directly with laziness, and the rest of that list is just as dubious. In fact, this seems to be a very good example of the "poverty = laziness" theme.

The city wants business. But some business they turn away. Recently the city turned away a business that would have employed almost 800 people because of the environmental damage it would have caused. Most of the tourism that it gets is based on the environment. The city (the people) decided while the jobs were needed the damage that would be caused by it would have been worse. Àlso, the city is trying to get Amtrak to go through and stop here which would create more business but probably no significant increase in jobs.

They are restructoring areas of the city but building is limited based on the fact the live oak trees are protected here. Like a business wanted to build where there were four live oak trees, and the city people were against it but then agreed to terms as long as they planted 5 new live oaks in the area of the business.

Business is wanted but sometimes obstacles like that get in the way.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Nam on February 27, 2016, 11:52:37 PM
Maybe I don't get that science.

Doesn't look like science to me...

And it looks a bit too simplistic, as if there couldn't be a variety of factors beyond people's control influencing the placement of cities on that list. I don't trust simplistic.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

That list is bullshit.  How does anyone know the percentage of college graduates in a given city? General idea maybe. The list has percentages listed with one decimal place which is slicing it pretty thin.  The places with the highest percentage of college grads are College Towns, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Tampa, etc.  The highest percentages of all are in notoriously expensive locations. There are a lot of unemployed rich people who live there but those places are way down the list like Saint Petersburg Beach at number 155.

I reckon that Palm Beach, not West Palm Beach, is the laziest place because that small community is strictly for the very wealthy and "old money" is preferable.  People who live there have no need to work.