News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

guys what do you think of this george foreman nde and conversion?

Started by manga, July 10, 2017, 04:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Quote from: Father Bruno on July 12, 2017, 01:13:53 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 12, 2017, 08:55:25 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 12, 2017, 08:48:27 AM
Quote from: manga on July 12, 2017, 05:43:48 AM
I'm just scared because I was raised catholic, etc

Then I think you should be talking to a priest, not us.  There's obviously nothing we can do for you.

An excellent suggestion. I can recommend Father Bruno. He is very kind, gentle, and sympathetic.
Thanks Books 8) As I appreciate anyone here at HAF sending me referrals, Priest biz has been meh lately....

Quote from: Father Bruno on July 10, 2017, 09:59:51 PM
This thread by manga looks an awful lot like this other thread on a totally different forum by pork222. ::)

Atheist Republic

Oddly enough it also looks quite similar to this one by a poster named Kamil at SKEPTIC !

And check out Kamil's response to another post in that thread:
QuoteI am really starting to become skeptical of certain religious things, but this fear keeps coming back. I am deathy afraid of any potential afterlife, and I know for the most part that we cannot rule out the brain, and it is premature to definitely assert that a soul that like Mathew always says that is non physical can perceive light and hear things. I get that. However, my priest knows that lately I've been questioning, and he sent me some of these Christian videos of people seeing hell. I have seen quite a few maybe 5-6 where a person (usually not too religious) will have an NDE or some sort of health issue, and suddenly see absolute darkness, maybe hear people screaming, some report seeing demons, etc. They say the place is in complete isolation from other things and they feel really sad. Then, they call out to God or Jesus and get rescued. The hand pulling one out of hell for example is common across these NDEs. Does that not at all scare you?

Weird, it's like the same person, or maybe guys it's some type of out of body, out of mind, cross forum ethereal posting experience?

Or CFEPE as we like to say in the biz, what do you guys think?

If it's the same post in every forum can we assume it's a bot? And in the case of it being a bot I suppose it's okay to ban them, correct?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: manga on July 12, 2017, 05:43:48 AM
I'm just scared because I was raised catholic, and I always see these NDEs have a common theme when hell is involved: the person sees absolute darkness, they are scared, hear voices screeching and screaming in pain, sometimes they see demons mocking them. Then they call out to God or Jesus, and a light or a hand will come down and save them. I have read many individuals who have this experience. It just scares me because I want to be able to file NDEs into the hallucination/woo folder, but then I see so many similarities from hellish experiences that it scares me. It's the same reason I'm terrified of out of body experience target tests. I'm scared if someone were to prove those, then we may have a soul and it may mean some of the NDEs are true. The first ever NDE I saw was Howard Storm and on youtube it was called "Atheist Professor goes to hell" or something. At first, I didn't even know NDEs existed, and I was losing belief in religion, I thought there was no proof of life after death. However, this video scared me so brutally now since last summer I've been worrying about hell. I found online that there were some cultural differences between NDEs in different places that made me feel a bit better temporarily. However, then I heard about the website Skeptiko and Alex Tsakris, and he has some neurosurgeons on his shows that claim that a dying brain cannot at all create these NDEs when the eeg is flatlined, and that such accurate OBEs are not possible in a dying brain, so it has to be a soul that leaves the body. Now I am again, very much afraid. Two days ago I went on the near-death.com website hoping to reassure myself that NDEs are not real by trying to look up cultural differences. What did I find? A very convincing OBE and this NDE.  :-\
Did you listen to anything said to you? It doesn't look like it. You keep repeating things that we've debunked several times already and instead of engaging directly with what we said about it, you just ignore it and act like the bullshit you keep repeating is true. So many times people have explained to you how a brain coming back from dying starts to create memories that seem to come from when the brain was less active, and also that the brain will fill in details in faulty memories to try to make sense of them. Any neurosurgeon worth anything will know that. But like is your track record, you will concede by refusing to engage, but then act like you didn't.

If your intention is to dishonestly trick some here into fearing hell, it's not going to work. The active users here are fairly experienced with this shit.

You're not scaring us and your lack of logic is not going to convince us. What will convince us, is to bring something substantial and to actually engage in conversation. Since there is no reliable evidence for this, many attempt to persuade by fear instead of using facts and logic. If you're not going to use facts and logic, then you're wasting your time here.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 12, 2017, 08:15:55 AM
Oh, yes, that's the forgettable name. But then I am 71 now!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Arturo on July 12, 2017, 03:29:54 PMIf it's the same post in every forum can we assume it's a bot? And in the case of it being a bot I suppose it's okay to ban them, correct?

People are just as capable of copy-pasting as bots. We don't have any rule against members of this site posting things here that have been posted elsewhere and manga has engaged with discussions in their threads, rather than just posting and ignoring responses.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

I've been thinking about this, and all joking aside what if we are wrong and there is a heaven and hell? I mean even if I wasn't an atheist and believed in god it's not like I've led anything approaching a good life.

I mean to be honest my list of sins or transgressions against the almighty would be pretty long indeed.

I've been extremely blasphemous my entire life, fornicated and carried on like crazy when I was young, spent more Sabbath or Sunday's partying and drunk than I can even remember. Plus I'm pro-abortion, support gay-marriage, voted twice for the anti-christ himself, that christian-hating muslim Obama as well as Hillary in the last election.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, believe me...I'm fucking screwed. Even if I were to start believing now I'm fairly certain I've already got a place reserved for me in hell, regardless of how many times I scream out Jesus's name while I'm dying.

Do you think we'll get any respite, I mean does hell have to be forever? Or can I get some time off for good behavior?

Seriously, if there is a hell I'm fucked.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Quote from: Father Bruno on July 13, 2017, 02:28:11 PM
I've been thinking about this, and all joking aside what if we are wrong and there is a heaven and hell? I mean even if I wasn't an atheist and believed in god it's not like I've led anything approaching a good life.

I mean to be honest my list of sins or transgressions against the almighty would be pretty long indeed.

I've been extremely blasphemous my entire life, fornicated and carried on like crazy when I was young, spent more Sabbath or Sunday's partying and drunk than I can even remember. Plus I'm pro-abortion, support gay-marriage, voted twice for the anti-christ himself, that christian-hating muslim Obama as well as Hillary in the last election.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, believe me...I'm fucking screwed. Even if I were to start believing now I'm fairly certain I've already got a place reserved for me in hell, regardless of how many times I scream out Jesus's name while I'm dying.

Do you think we'll get any respite, I mean does hell have to be forever? Or can I get some time off for good behavior?

It reminds me of the lyrics of a song:

QuoteGod is dead, and no one cares.
If there is a hell, I'll see you there.

Actually, I like the whole song.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Davin on July 13, 2017, 02:53:26 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on July 13, 2017, 02:28:11 PM

It reminds me of the lyrics of a song:

QuoteGod is dead, and no one cares.
If there is a hell, I'll see you there.

Actually, I like the whole song.

I've never seen that video before, thanks...and I agree excellent song.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 13, 2017, 02:54:33 PM
I'd bet all the best people are in hell.

Sure us cool people will be there, along with some real scumbags, I mean some really nasty people...and what about eternal torture, with lakes of fire and never ending anguish?

Sounds horrible.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Quote from: Father Bruno on July 13, 2017, 03:25:59 PM
Sure us cool people will be there, along with some real scumbags, I mean some really nasty people...and what about eternal torture, with lakes of fire and never ending anguish?

Sounds horrible.
But we're only hearing one side of it. Maybe Hell is an awesome place to live.

I mean, in Heaven, we're supposed go around praising god all the time... singing praises to god all the fucking time... for eternity. How does that sound appealing at all.

Meanwhile, down in Hell, people are doing what they want to do when they want to do it. And the people in Heaven want more people to be miserable like them. So in the 30 second breaks between singing one praise and the next, they work on sullying the name of Hell in the hopes that more people will fall for the Heaven scheme, so that they will eventually have enough people to stroke the god's ego that they'll be able to take five or even ten minute breaks every once in a while.

So I think that Hell isn't so bad, it's just been the subject of a smear campaign.

Claireliontamer

Sandra Craft

It could be the South Park Hell, where the fires of damnation are used for nightly luaus.  In any case, I agree with Davin on this one -- the description of Heaven sounds even worse to me.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Knowing the people who are supposed to be in hell, by now the place is air conditioned, has perfect WiFi, better universities than any found on earth, massive libraries, unparalleled museums, and advances in science and technology far beyond what we have. There does seem to be a high percentage of doubters and outright unbelievers among people who are creative or have a scientific bent.

Plus, look at the behavior of the one who is supposed to be the "good guy" in the spiritual realm. His repertoire for dealing with misbehaving humans is to smite, curse, and kill them. His "unconditional" love comes with the condition "love me or I'll make sure you are tortured forever." If he was a human parent, his children would be in foster care. If he was a human demanding love in such a fashion, he'd be branded a stalker and have a restraining order placed on him. God's body count in the Bible runs in the millions. The only side of the story we have is what God supposedly inspired humans to write - and even in that version he comes off as a petty, despotic, dictator with just enough tiny flashes of kindness and mercy to give someone Stockholm syndrome.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

hermes2015

Quote from: Velma on July 13, 2017, 07:05:02 PM
Knowing the people who are supposed to be in hell, by now the place is air conditioned, has perfect WiFi, better universities than any found on earth, massive libraries, unparalleled museums, and advances in science and technology far beyond what we have. There does seem to be a high percentage of doubters and outright unbelievers among people who are creative or have a scientific bent.

Plus, look at the behavior of the one who is supposed to be the "good guy" in the spiritual realm. His repertoire for dealing with misbehaving humans is to smite, curse, and kill them. His "unconditional" love comes with the condition "love me or I'll make sure you are tortured forever." If he was a human parent, his children would be in foster care. If he was a human demanding love in such a fashion, he'd be branded a stalker and have a restraining order placed on him. God's body count in the Bible runs in the millions. The only side of the story we have is what God supposedly inspired humans to write - and even in that version he comes off as a petty, despotic, dictator with just enough tiny flashes of kindness and mercy to give someone Stockholm syndrome.

Velma, that is such a profound and articulate statement. I could not agree more - I only wish I had written that.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Velma on July 13, 2017, 07:05:02 PM

:golfclap:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus