News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

I can't stand Trump or Christians. How do I get over this?

Started by MatureMcLeod, January 11, 2017, 12:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

One of my favourite internet quotes:

Just because it can be found online means it's true, right?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dredge

Quote from: Recusant on February 04, 2017, 03:16:49 PM
Quote from: Dredge on February 04, 2017, 07:54:03 AM
Quote from: MatureMcLeod on January 11, 2017, 12:25:59 AM
I can't stand whenever someone justifies evil. I've seen Trump and Christians do this all the time. Trump will justify things such as rape and racism, while Christians justify things such as murder of babies and cannibalism.
Can you cite an example of 1) a Christian justifying the murder of babies; and 2) of cannibalism, please?

"Slaughter of the Canaanites" | Reasonable Faith
The slaughter of every Canaanite may have something to do with God's wish to wipe out the Nephilim that were present in that race.
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Recusant

Quote from: Dredge on February 16, 2017, 05:05:46 AM
Quote from: Dredge on February 04, 2017, 07:54:03 AMCan you cite an example of 1) a Christian justifying the murder of babies . . .

The slaughter of every Canaanite may have something to do with God's wish to wipe out the Nephilim that were present in that race.

Am I to understand that with this you are now counting yourself among the Christians who justify the murder of babies, Dredge?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on February 16, 2017, 03:45:22 PM
Quote from: Dredge on February 04, 2017, 07:54:03 AMCan you cite an example of 1) a Christian justifying the murder of babies . . .

Am I to understand that with this you are now counting yourself among the Christians who justify the murder of babies, Dredge?

Why couldn't god just blink out of existence the specific dudes he didn't like, collateral damage doesn't sound omni potent god like.

The DTs used to be a thing, it had to do with heavy alcohol intake and pink elephants.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dragonia

Quote from: Dredge on February 04, 2017, 07:54:03 AM
Quote from: MatureMcLeod on January 11, 2017, 12:25:59 AM
I can't stand whenever someone justifies evil. I've seen Trump and Christians do this all the time. Trump will justify things such as rape and racism, while Christians justify things such as murder of babies and cannibalism.
Can you cite an example of 1) a Christian justifying the murder of babies; and 2) of cannibalism, please?

I know this isn't exactly along the lines of this thread,  but I have to answer Dredge.... I can't stop myself...
This is an explanation (a bad one--pure guesswork)  that I don't think I've heard before. And I've heard a lot of explanations.
I'd like to hear your creative excuses for other annihilations in the OT. Hey! I know! We can play a game! I like games.
How about I'll give you a few Bible events and you tell me another explanation for them. After all, this explanation of yours was cool.  So here we go.......

*Numbers 31:7-18   God orders all Midianites killed, except virgin girls and girl children (those were reserved for the Israelite men-- a little feisty reward for their hard work of war)
*Deuteronomy 3  God's people wiped out 60 whole cities and villages, men women and children. But they got to keep the livestock and plunder. (Score!) Then they divided the land up between them.
*Joshua 6    The Israelites destroyed the entire city of Jericho: men, women, children and livestock too! (Joshua fought the battle of Jericho, Jericho,  Jericho....... and the walls came tumbling down!)
*Judges 21    11 of the 12 tribes of Israel murdered everyone in Jabesh Gilead (their own people!) Except the virgins again.... because they needed wives for one of their tribes. Oh! But there weren't enough virgins for all the men, so the men were ordered to hide alongside the road, and when they saw a girl who was pleasing to their eye, they ambushed her and carried her away to another city to make her his "wife". (AKA rape her repeatedly until she gave up). Chivalry wasn't their strong point.....
Ok, just one more, I have to stop somewhere.....
*1 Samuel 15    God orders the slaughter of the Amalekites-  men, women, children, and animals (I guess none of them needed wives this time)
OK Dredge, ask the Holy Spirit to give you fresh insight and knock my socks off!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Icarus

Damn Dragonia you took the gloves off. Way to go little sister.  Let's see how (or if) Dredge refutes those little  incidents in his good book.

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 16, 2017, 03:55:26 PMThe DTs used to be a thing, it had to do with heavy alcohol intake and pink elephants.

I think there must be something here that's escaping my grasp, so I'll ask: How does delirium tremens relate to the failings of a supposedly omnipotent deity?

Here's something random. I've been wanting to ask this for years: Do you mind if I call you Albert? ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Albert? :notsure: There must be some reference I'm not getting here.

Marvin would make sense, Pudding, Penny, Erik...the list goes on. But Albert? I'm assuming it could be something out of pop culture, but it could also be something a little more obscure. :chin:

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on February 17, 2017, 11:33:20 PM
Heh, now we have two minor mysteries going. :lol:

NOOOOO!!!

:headshake:

My mind abhors a mystery, now you're forcing me to come up with some story behind the name! 

:levitate: Awaiting revelation... 

Recusant

You were on the right track. Go with your first second thought. :studious:
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Ok. :notsure: Though my second thought may not be what you think I was thinking...I'll make a mystery out of that! Three can play at that game!  :devil:

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on February 17, 2017, 10:28:33 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 16, 2017, 03:55:26 PMThe DTs used to be a thing, it had to do with heavy alcohol intake and pink elephants.

I think there must be something here that's escaping my grasp, so I'll ask: How does delirium tremens relate to the failings of a supposedly omnipotent deity?

High doses of Trump are undoubtedly damaging to the brain but it's very hard to avoid.
His mouth's bird like motion particularly disturbs my equilibrium, why's it move like that?
As bad as the effects of trump exposure are, I wouldn't recommend sudden abstention.
No, you need to wean your self off or risk suffering the DTs and pink orange elephants.

Did I suggest Donald Trumpian related DTs to the failing of a deity?
It does indicate a pervasively cruel sense of humour I suppose.

Quote from: Recusant on February 17, 2017, 10:28:33 PMI've been wanting to ask this for years: Do you mind if I call you Albert? ;)

I suppose not but I don't want it taken as a precedent by the forum riff raff.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dredge

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 15, 2017, 03:59:36 AM
Quote from: Dredge on February 15, 2017, 01:18:56 AM

Accounts of other such miracles can be readily found on the web.

Anything can be found on the web.
Accounts of other such miracles can be readily found in the archives of the Catholic Church.

Dredge

Quote from: Recusant on February 15, 2017, 05:43:11 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 15, 2017, 03:59:36 AM
Quote from: Dredge on February 15, 2017, 01:18:56 AM

Accounts of other such miracles can be readily found on the web.

Anything can be found on the web.

Just as pretty much anything could be found in churches in Middle Ages Europe, being venerated by the gullible. The medieval "relic trade" is infamous for its nearly complete lack of genuine relics.

There is no contemporary documentation for the alleged miracle of Lanciano--the first mention of it that can be found dates to 1636, about 900 years after the date the miracle supposedly occurred.

Even if we were foolish enough to accept the results of Linoli's tests, all they really show is that at some point somebody created the relics. It's rather probable that somebody was a charlatan whose purpose was to fleece those blinded by their faith.
The Catholic Church isn't like Benny Hinn; she takes reports of miracles seriously, that is to say, skepticism first, then rigourous investigation (a process that may take years).   Any miracles approved by the Church are not the work of charlatans.  Do you really think the Church is that gullible and stupid?