News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Know your world.

Started by Icarus, September 24, 2019, 01:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Here is a stumbled across site that is good for a bit of attention if you like maps and claimed facts about geographic or societal quirks and/or fun stuff.  Damn there are a hundred maps at this place. 

What nation drinks the most........How many countries have endured British influence......and a whole bunch of other useless facts  (or claimed facts) that are of some interest if you have nothing else to do.    The site farandwide.com has some other interesting fun stuff aside from maps.

Get your Jollys here:    https://www.farandwide.com/s/amazing-world-maps-74d6186e6d0e414b

EDIT: Split topic.

Tank

I loved this one! See if you can guess what it is.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Another very interesting one.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

:rofl: Map of all the pubs in the UK!

Tank

Tank

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on September 24, 2019, 08:05:35 AM
I loved this one! See if you can guess what it is.

If that's what I think it is Paraguay should be colored in too. The British indirectly ran a war there and took control. Paraguay has a bizzare history.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ecurb Noselrub

Glad to see that Shitterton is not far from Ass Hill.  At least Ass Hill didn't dump in some other part of the country.

Magdalena

Ecurb Noselrub,
Remember I asked you about the term, Anglo-Saxon? And you said:
QuoteMost whites in the USA are not "Anglo-Saxon" - that's basically British - and comes from a Germanic background - but most whites in the US from the British Isles are Scotts or Irish.
Who knew German ancestry was so prominent in the United States?
Light blue is German ancestry.

Map of Predominant U.S. Ancestry

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on September 25, 2019, 07:30:22 PM
Ecurb Noselrub,
Remember I asked you about the term, Anglo-Saxon? And you said:
QuoteMost whites in the USA are not "Anglo-Saxon" - that's basically British - and comes from a Germanic background - but most whites in the US from the British Isles are Scotts or Irish.
Who knew German ancestry was so prominent in the United States?
Light blue is German ancestry.

Map of Predominant U.S. Ancestry

Yes, lots of Germans or German background.  And even though Anglo-Saxon refers to English, it itself comes from a Germanic background, from Germanic invaders of England.  So lots of German genes over here.   

Buddy

I love how Puerto Rico is made up of Puerto Ricans
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Icarus

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey