News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Atheism growing in the UK?

Started by Dave, September 04, 2017, 06:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

A BBC poll indicates that 53% of Brits, up on 48% on the last poll, express no religious affiliation (on the radio but can't find it in line). Fewer are simply following their parents belief or simply saying "C of E" or "Anglican" as an easy option. The younger people are seeking "spirituality" via meditation.

This is following a pattern:

QuotePeople of no religion outnumber Christians in England and Wales – study
Proportion of population who describe themselves as Anglican has halved since 1983
The Guardian, May 2016

QuoteChurch this Christmas hits RECORD LOW after rocky 2016
THREE quarters of the British public have no plans to go to church over the festive period with just five per cent planning to attend a service on Christmas Day, a YouGov poll has revealed.
Daily Express December 2016

But this time a bishop has actuality said that it is better that people are being honest rather than just going for the standard reply. Previously the frocked ones have tried to play such results down.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

"No religious affiliation" does not equal "atheist".  Just sayin'.

No one

Well, atheists have no equals, just sayin' .

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 08, 2017, 10:33:33 PM

Yes, I'd have to agree. I guess those who see themselves as "spiritual, but not religious" might fit into that description. However, I'd bet that atheism is on the rise in certain geographical areas, the UK being among them. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 09, 2017, 02:12:44 PM

Yes, I'd have to agree. I guess those who see themselves as "spiritual, but not religious" might fit into that description. However, I'd bet that atheism is on the rise in certain geographical areas, the UK being among them.

Look, do I have to get definitively pedantic here?

"No"

Oh, OK then...

Agreed, most "true" atheists would not perhaps condider one who accepted there was a "spiritual" dimension to life - I arrempted to discuss this elsewhere, as a fellow unbeliever. I do feel there is a "dimension" in the human psyche that is not hormonal or exactly emotional, but that seeks satisfaction via some aspect of the world; in music, poetry, a glorious natural scene etc.

No dieties or non-coporeal entities, no prayers . . . Or perhaps "appreciation", which is a sort of manifestation of this, is due to hormones?

Whatever, religion in its currently recognised and defined form seems to be in decline here. Yet that might leave a "void" for some that they seek to fill with meditation,  relaxation,  some form of awareness practice (self or external) or other method of balancing the purely physical world with  an "internal" model. I  would not be too quick to dismiss such things as "woo" without careful consideration.

Tank

It doesn't mean they aren't atheists either. Just sayin'.

So they may be apathetic, agnostic or atheist. It just means they have given up believing the myths of our ancestors.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

Quote from: Dave on September 09, 2017, 02:57:08 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 09, 2017, 02:12:44 PM

Look, do I have to get definitively pedantic here?

"No"

Oh, OK then...

Agreed, most "true" atheists would not perhaps condider one who accepted there was a "spiritual" dimension to life - I arrempted to discuss this elsewhere, as a fellow unbeliever. I do feel there is a "dimension" in the human psyche that is not hormonal or exactly emotional, but that seeks satisfaction via some aspect of the world; in music, poetry, a glorious natural scene etc.

No dieties or non-coporeal entities, no prayers . . . Or perhaps "appreciation", which is a sort of manifestation of this, is due to hormones?

Whatever, religion in its currently recognised and defined form seems to be in decline here. Yet that might leave a "void" for some that they seek to fill with meditation,  relaxation,  some form of awareness practice (self or external) or other method of balancing the purely physical world with  an "internal" model. I  would not be too quick to dismiss such things as "woo" without careful consideration.

Funny you mention that Gloucester...
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: Tank on September 09, 2017, 06:13:43 PM

So they may be apathetic, agnostic or atheist. It just means they have given up believing the myths of our ancestors.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That's why the need to distinguish between the two. Otherwise you don't know how many of you there are.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Ecurb Noselrub

The OP asks the question whether atheism is growing in he U.K.  It cites the survey.  The survey does not show atheism growing in the U.K.  It may be growing - probably is.  But that is not what the survey shows.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 11, 2017, 12:50:51 PM

The OP asks the question whether atheism is growing in he U.K.  It cites the survey.  The survey does not show atheism growing in the U.K.  It may be growing - probably is.  But that is not what the survey shows.

OK, OK! I should have asked, "Is religion on the decline in the UK?"

:D

But if you define atheism strictly those who seek a non-religious and non-supernatural internal alternative, even if they call it "spiritual" (as opposed to "spirirualism" as normally defined and used), are "atheos," "godless". I am sure that the religionistas would call them "atheists".

"Atheist", unlike "humanist", is a very general term in my lexicon. Such a person can please themselves as to the nature of their beliefs, ethics and morals, having only themselves, anyone close to them and secular law to answer to. Thankfully most seem to chose a fairly "normal" set of those! A humanist, as normally defined, will also be an atheist but accepts a common but fairly loose set of "rules" to live by.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dave on September 11, 2017, 02:20:52 PM

But if you define atheism strictly those who seek a non-religious and non-supernatural internal alternative, even if they call it "spiritual" (as opposed to "spirirualism" as normally defined and used), are "atheos," "godless". I am sure that the religionistas would call them "atheists".

"Atheist", unlike "humanist", is a very general term in my lexicon. Such a person can please themselves as to the nature of their beliefs, ethics and morals, having only themselves, anyone close to them and secular law to answer to. Thankfully most seem to chose a fairly "normal" set of those! A humanist, as normally defined, will also be an atheist but accepts a common but fairly loose set of "rules" to live by.

I'm not really disputing any of this.  I'm simply acting as a logic-Nazi. 

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 11, 2017, 03:59:00 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 11, 2017, 02:20:52 PM

I'm not really disputing any of this.  I'm simply acting as a logic-Nazi.

A "logic Nazi" ? Only in the same class as 1932 German democracy!  :grin:

I'll grant you a battle of definitions, especially between those in any half decent dictionary and how people actually use a word. Can we have "dictionary pedant" versus "usage pedant"?

:thinking:

Dave

Just had an email from Atheism UK with the following graph:

The fourth line is the site author's estimation of the growth of atheism, about half the total of "non-religious". Now, is that "atheists in fact" or "self-described atheists"? To my mind those who have no interest or belief in the supernatural, or any kind of philosophical stance or practice that involves a belief in something that has no basis in the material world ("chakra" for e.g.), could still be described as "athiests".