News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Appropriate Exclamation

Started by leedan, August 06, 2011, 09:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leedan

As an atheist I stilll find myself uttering the same exclamations in times of frustration and awe. Its sort of embarrassing when amongst people that really know me when I say "Oh my god" or "jesus christ". Is there anything more appropriate for an atheist with the same effect?

Whitney

Um...Oh shit?

I've heard other atheists say religious related slang....damnit being the most common.

xSilverPhinx

One example I like to throw out there when it comes to this sort of thing is that if you were going to go by that logic, people who don't believe in astrology shouldn't use the word 'disaster' either. ;D

Dis (misaligned) aster (star/body in space)

I never give it that much thought. They're just phases that have been incorporated into common language for me.

You could try something funny, like "by Thor's hammer!" or something like that.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

I say "oh my gods" only because I am such a greek and norse myth nut. I dunno. XD
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

MinnesotaMike

Sort of reminds me of the running joke of shouting "oh DAWKINS!!!" instead of "oh GOD!!!" in bed...

Christians seem to perceive that sort of thing as blasphemy, so it isn't exactly religious of you to say it. I understand how saying "oh my god" can be seen as you claiming theism, but it would be understood (by anyone who knows you are an atheist) to simply be a figure of speech. Even theists who use those phrases aren't actually telling their god to damn an inanimate object, as there would be mention of a section of hell reserved for engines in the bible.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Hidelight

F bombs and "shit" sum up my brilliant level of decorum

Crow

I have always said "oh my days", "for fuck sake", and "oh bugger", the normal versions have never really been in my vocabulary.

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 07, 2011, 02:00:26 AM
I say "oh my gods" only because I am such a greek and norse myth nut. I dunno. XD

This always makes me smile, or if someone says something along the lines of "Jupiter's cock".
Retired member.

Medusa

Cheese and crackers!
Keebler fudge!
Cheesie Creesie (from Eddie Izzard)  :P
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

OldGit

I'm afraid I use most of the sexual/scatalogical swearwords.  About every 5 minutes.  I'm also so in the habit of exclaiming "Jesus Christ!" and similar that I also say those pretty often.  It's not inconsistent when you think how much disrespect I'm showing.
On the forums I generally use OMFSM!

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on August 07, 2011, 03:24:26 AM
I have always said "oh my days", "for fuck sake", and "oh bugger", the normal versions have never really been in my vocabulary.

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 07, 2011, 02:00:26 AM

This always makes me smile, or if someone says something along the lines of "Jupiter's cock".

Jupiter's cock?  Hot. I am amused by this.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

Cheesenrice!
Oh my gods! (cause ya can't afford to piss any one of them off)

And then you have the yayhoos down here that say:
Dadgumit!
Dangnabbit!

I'm partial to:
Holy crap!
Well fuck me! and
Son of a bitch!
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

hismikeness

I will tend to go way overboard in my curses, especially those of religious nature, in the proper company. In any other company the filter gets engaged and I don't say curses of any kind. Rarely do I have to stop myself either, because all of my curses are intentional and thought out rather than impulsive. If I, say, stub my toe or hit my thumb or touch something hot, I just sort of inhale briskly in pain instead of curse. Inside my head, just before the filter, there's all sorts of phrases backed up. Like:

"Christ on a crutch"
"You gotta be dry fucking me"
"Suck me sideways" -courtesy of Ace Ventura
"I'll be dipped in shit"
"Jesus Christ Superstar"

I'm also a big fan of just using the first letter of a curse and letting the listener(s) fill in their own curses. Like:

What the F
She was a GDB
She was a C
S you in your A, don't wear a C, and J all over your Bs.- Courtesy of Charlie on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

And the F-word will be deftly inserted in the middle of a multisyllabic word, such as:

Infuckingcredible
diafuckingrama
afuckinggain

All F bombs are enhanced by adding titty or ass in front of them. FYI.

I will curse in acronyms too. Example: ASAFP, FYMFI

;D
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sweetdeath

Random is good~
Keep em guessing. XD