News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Spiritual practices. (For Atheists)

Started by ForTheLoveOfAll, February 28, 2011, 02:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForTheLoveOfAll

While religion above all else has been a shackle to progress and a cause of untold suffering in humanities history, there are some things that have arisen from it that the Atheist can find useful.

I'm talking about things like meditation, yoga, certain philosophies, etc. Things that, while they may have originally been intended as a spiritual practice, they can be useful to us for their physical or mental value.

I even pray from time to time, but it's to Robin Williams.

Anything you guys take part in despite being fellow heathens?
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

LegendarySandwich

I want to start meditating. I wouldn't say that is a spiritual practice, as it has real benefits.

I've also heard people theorize that praying can be a good thing.

DirtyLeo

I've been doing Ashtanga (Power) Yoga for a while. I'm not interested in it spiritually, it's just a great workout.
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

Asmodean

The closest I get to spiritual has to do with spirits... The ethanol variety  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Cecilie

I tried meditation once or twice, but for me it was a waste of time (unlike posting on here :P).
The world's what you create.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Cecilie"I tried meditation once or twice, but for me it was a waste of time (unlike posting on here :P).
I think it's one of those things where you have to keep doing it until you get better at it and it starts to work.

Cecilie

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "Cecilie"I tried meditation once or twice, but for me it was a waste of time (unlike posting on here :P).
I think it's one of those things where you have to keep doing it until you get better at it and it starts to work.
I consider myself a pretty patient person, but it was so goddamn boring.

Stevil

The closest I get is when playing my guitar. It takes lots and lots of patience and concentration. Never ending things to learn and you have to pace yourself. It frees the mind, sooths the soul, allows one to express their emotions or even experience emotions that are foriegn to them. I certainly think hobbies like this are well worth it, intellectually and emotionally and in the long run you pick up a neat skill that others can also enjoy.

ForTheLoveOfAll

QuoteThe closest I get to spiritual has to do with spirits... The ethanol variety

I  like you man.  :D But, like weed, it's not for everyone.

QuoteThe closest I get is when playing my guitar. It takes lots and lots of patience and concentration. Never ending things to learn and you have to pace yourself. It frees the mind, sooths the soul, allows one to express their emotions or even experience emotions that are foriegn to them. I certainly think hobbies like this are well worth it, intellectually and emotionally and in the long run you pick up a neat skill that others can also enjoy.

Agreed. Completely. I've played piano for around 12 years, and I get more of what you could call a spiritual experience from that than any church service I ever attended.  :bananacolor:
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

skwurll

5-10 minutes of meditation a night can be pretty helpful.
It gives you time to reevaluate your priorities and short term goals.

Whitney

I do yoga for the stretching sometimes....I could do without the spiritual instructors that are on some videos.

Quote from: "Cecilie"I consider myself a pretty patient person, but it was so goddamn boring.

I also found it boring...I randomly day dream which I'm pretty sure achieves the same effect.

Squid

I focus my Chi every time I sit on the toilet...

Cecilie

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "Cecilie"I consider myself a pretty patient person, but it was so goddamn boring.

I also found it boring...I randomly day dream which I'm pretty sure achieves the same effect.
I'm a huge day dreamer, so I guess I'm all set then. :D

KDbeads

I consider my sewing machine a tool for achieving 'zen'.  Seriously, if I'm stressed out I can sit at that thing for hours on end, working the whole time, and my BP goes down, heart rate goes down, my head clears, I can think.  I come up with my best creative thoughts right there in front of it along with all sorts of solutions to things I'm dealing with around the house and with other people.  Shit I designed the chicken coop sitting at the sewing machine.  I was able to draw up plans for an incubator after 2 hours on the machine.  

Other days I merely have to fondle my massive stash of beads for a few seconds before I can think clearly, and be filled with tons of creativity.  It's almost like the beads start talking to me.

But then I'm an imaginative/inventive/creative type person, doesn't take much to remove the fog from my mind most days :D
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

DirtyLeo

Quote from: "Cecilie"
Quote from: "Whitney"

I'm a huge day dreamer, so I guess I'm all set then. :). It's a great workout and not a stretching routine.
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We