News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Athiests, would you marry a religious person?

Started by jduster, October 24, 2010, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jduster

Personally, it would depend.  I would certainly not marry a fundamentalist or someone who is devoutly religious, as even if that wouldn't cause any harm at the time, eventually it would get to me.  I don't mind if the other person believes in God, as long as they keep it to themselves.

Asmodean

Most certainly no. The main reason being simply that I would not marry. I dislike the idea.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tank

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"It depends.
Quite right. It would depend if one fell in love with each other or not. Love is ultimately irrational so one would get married. Whether one stays married and/or sane is a whole different ball game.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Will

I also voted "it depends'. I don't see myself having a happy, civil, mature, fulfilling and mutually respectful relationship with a raging fundamentalist. There's too much of a different to overcome with understanding, tolerance, and compromise in that kind of instance. On the other hand, a so-called moderate religious woman who isn't going to try and convert me (just as I would never try to convert someone) or would require our children to choose sides before turning 18, I could see that working.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Asmodean"Most certainly no. The main reason being simply that I would not marry. I dislike the idea.

This is the answer for me, too.  But I also wouldn't date any religious person who is conservative or a fundamentalist.  

I was married once, to a religious person.  The religion bled into every disagreement and into everyday life far too often.  If I wanted a futon instead of a sofa bed it was because I think human beings are just sacks of meat not because it was cheaper and took up less space.  

As to the marriage thing, in my mind, marriage is an ownership contract.  Also, I'm polyamorous, something which marriage required me to suppress.  Heck, I wasn't even allowed to have friends.  Screw that.

KebertX

"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

The Magic Pudding

The more religious a person is the less attractive they would be as a partner for me.
Other factors must be considered though.
If I met an immensely wealthy woman, who was funding The Temple Of The Shiny Smiter, I would see it as my duty to marry her and redirect those $s.
I'd have to convince my current wife first, I think I could.
I'm willing to make sacrifices for my lack of faith.

jduster

I read the above comments and I understand where you are all coming from.  I will expand upon what I wrote now.

I don't think religion should be a litmus test for marriage, but we all agree that marrying a devoutly pious person would be mistake.  If the other person attends church, then the answer for me is "no", because somewhere down the road, a big argument will erupt; and of course, there is the question of "what values would we instill in our kids".  If the other person is a middlegrounder, while I think half-betting is irrational, I would not mind if the personal overall is ideal.  Both people in almost every relationship will dislike some of the qualities of the other person.  It's a matter of reconciling.

goatwitch

This is an absolute no!  I can't imagine having to hear someone praising an unseen entity.  I would see him as weak, stupid and utterly incapable of thinking for himself.  In other words, I would probably verbally abuse him:)

theantithesis

I would sooner nail my genitals to the table with a rusty railroad spike.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "goatwitch"I would see him as weak, stupid and utterly incapable of thinking for himself.  In other words, I would probably verbally abuse him:)

Such relationships can be quite long lasting.

The neighbours will talk amongst themselves.
Why does she stay with him, he's such an idiot, doesn't she see it?
He gets into fights, and she ends up paying the hospital bill.
He is no good with money, hasn't got a clue.
He's no good around the house, worse than useless when that storm hit the back room.

jduster

I see you've modified my avatar a bit.

Someone's got a little too much free time on their hands.  :)

The Magic Pudding

I can't help it, I see that head and want to hit it, but I can't.
You do know you are causing me pain don't you?
Accept my offering if you will and give me peace.

Thumpalumpacus

I may use Pudding's creation as an avatar elsewhere.  It's exactly the sort of surreal view that I truly love.
Illegitimi non carborundum.