News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Graphics Interchange Format (WARNING)

Started by Magdalena, October 26, 2015, 01:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 30, 2017, 12:47:30 AM

It's funny. I'm a software developer and this is the kind of thing I try to avoid.

So my boss and my boss's boss expect me to get a piece of hardware working. I say, "couldn't we just get the hardware guys to make this serial into a USB?" And they tell me, "no, it's not possible."

So I say, "what about when the machines no longer have a serial port? Because it's an almost dead technology." And the hardware guys laugh it off.

Then this year, they couldn't get machines for price that matched the required specs that had a serial port. But I have to get the machines working. So we get a serial to USB converter. Now it works.

And do you know who gets blamed for it? Yeah, you guessed it, I get blamed for it.

So that's how I feel about this particular animated gif.

:-\
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on February 02, 2017, 09:09:58 PM

It's funny. I'm a software developer and this is the kind of thing I try to avoid.

So my boss and my boss's boss expect me to get a piece of hardware working. I say, "couldn't we just get the hardware guys to make this serial into a USB?" And they tell me, "no, it's not possible."

So I say, "what about when the machines no longer have a serial port? Because it's an almost dead technology." And the hardware guys laugh it off.

Then this year, they couldn't get machines for price that matched the required specs that had a serial port. But I have to get the machines working. So we get a serial to USB converter. Now it works.

And do you know who gets blamed for it? Yeah, you guessed it, I get blamed for it.

But... but, Davin, all you have to do is write the correct software to fix the problem. Those poor hardware guys have to punch different shaped holes or make an adapter plate, source the components for converting the interface, find space for that on the board (or add a daughter board). . .

You just have to tap a few keys is all . . .

::)

I know, I know . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

I did exaggerate and exclude many things for both brevity and comedy.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on February 02, 2017, 09:29:25 PM
I did exaggerate and exclude many things for both brevity and comedy.

Bet yer didn't have to stretch it very far.

:grin:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on February 02, 2017, 09:21:40 PM
Quote from: Davin on February 02, 2017, 09:09:58 PM

But... but, Davin, all you have to do is write the correct software to fix the problem. Those poor hardware guys have to punch different shaped holes or make an adapter plate, source the components for converting the interface, find space for that on the board (or add a daughter board). . .

You just have to tap a few keys is all . . .

::)

I know, I know . . .

:watching: Ok, I may have started this but I think I'll slowly back away from this particular conversation...I've seen it all before, and 'hardware vs software' hardly ever ends well. 

;)  :P

(although if it's any consolation, while I get the metaphor suggesting that some software developers take "long-winded" routes to solving a problem, he makes do with the resources he's given.)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 03, 2017, 12:07:12 AM
:watching: Ok, I may have started this but I think I'll slowly back away from this particular conversation...I've seen it all before, and 'hardware vs software' hardly ever ends well. 

(although if it's any consolation, while I get the metaphor suggesting that some software developers take "long-winded" routes to solving a problem, he makes do with the resources he's given.)
It's not a great thing. My father was an hardware engineer who transitioned into software development. And I've grown up with a slightly better than average understanding of hardware, and a lot better than most other developers. Also, I'm not a fan of drawing lines between people like that... except for in jokes.

It was just that that gif reminded me a current problem I had, where the it was the hardware guys forcing a plug being plugged into another plug before getting plugged in. And there is a bit of a rift between the hardware guys and the software guys. It started before I got here and it's quite silly. So many odd things and funny stories. Well stories that are funny to me at least.

But the image is also kind of true of a lot software modern development. Many often use a lot of third party libraries, plugins, and code samples. And because a lot just copy from sites like stack overflow, they keep far more than they need, which tends to bloat the code and make it both less efficient and more difficult to read. I think the mentality comes from an old saying, "we re-invent the wheel?" So instead of understanding the code, they get a bunch of solutions that were already invented, even if they don't apply specifically to their problem.

There are newbs and idiots everywhere, so you can find examples all over the place no matter what field you look into.

Anyway, I laughed, then remembered my situation, then thought I'd share what I thought was a slightly funny story. I don't mean to start a war over a joke.

Dave

And, on reflection, my attempt at a joke got taken on face value!

Memo to self: lots more use of   :grin:  :snicker:  :smilenod: and their mates!

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on February 03, 2017, 02:36:22 PM
And, on reflection, my attempt at a joke got taken on face value!

Memo to self: lots more use of   :grin:  :snicker:  :smilenod: and their mates!
I laughed.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on February 03, 2017, 02:14:26 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 03, 2017, 12:07:12 AM

It's not a great thing. My father was an hardware engineer who transitioned into software development. And I've grown up with a slightly better than average understanding of hardware, and a lot better than most other developers. Also, I'm not a fan of drawing lines between people like that... except for in jokes.

It was just that that gif reminded me a current problem I had, where the it was the hardware guys forcing a plug being plugged into another plug before getting plugged in. And there is a bit of a rift between the hardware guys and the software guys. It started before I got here and it's quite silly. So many odd things and funny stories. Well stories that are funny to me at least.

But the image is also kind of true of a lot software modern development. Many often use a lot of third party libraries, plugins, and code samples. And because a lot just copy from sites like stack overflow, they keep far more than they need, which tends to bloat the code and make it both less efficient and more difficult to read. I think the mentality comes from an old saying, "we re-invent the wheel?" So instead of understanding the code, they get a bunch of solutions that were already invented, even if they don't apply specifically to their problem.

There are newbs and idiots everywhere, so you can find examples all over the place no matter what field you look into.

Anyway, I laughed, then remembered my situation, then thought I'd share what I thought was a slightly funny story. I don't mean to start a war over a joke.

Ok. :grin: All I know is that while it can be harmless poking fun at each other, it can be a sensitive subject among some software developers and hardware engineers. The rift is real in some circles.  :watching:

Dave

xSilverPhinx

:secrets1: I looked at the most recent post with people sitting behind me. Good thing no one (I think) saw or I would have some explaining to do! :lol:

xSilverPhinx

Arturo

That's an interesting thought. Too bad I can't entertain it beyond it's extrinsic value.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant