News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Just heard that the Santa Fé killer used a pistol and a shotgun - sort of fits in with my thoughts about a lax attitude to the security of desdly "tools".

OK, no parent wants to admit that there kid might become a killer and take domestic sevurity measures against the possibillity. Bet every parent conncerned is gutted, but will every other gun owning parent take adequate measures unless they face severe punishment? Even then there will be idiots.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

^ A stimulating video Arturo.  I fear that there are elements of truth in what the speaker is saying. 

One of our lesser utilized networks is PBS who does not have commercials in the usual way.  Too bad that PBS is not subscribed by the masses.  There are those of us who do but we are in the minority.

In addition there is NPR (National Public Radio) that often has some brilliant content. NPR does not have commercials either.  Once again it is not subscribed by the masses but it is used by the more educated who are also the minority audience.

Neither of these communicators are particularly political in nature.  They are often accused of being too liberal but they do present both sides of an argument rather well.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on May 23, 2018, 12:59:07 AM
^ A stimulating video Arturo.  I fear that there are elements of truth in what the speaker is saying. 

One of our lesser utilized networks is PBS who does not have commercials in the usual way.  Too bad that PBS is not subscribed by the masses.  There are those of us who do but we are in the minority.

In addition there is NPR (National Public Radio) that often has some brilliant content. NPR does not have commercials either.  Once again it is not subscribed by the masses but it is used by the more educated who are also the minority audience.

Neither of these communicators are particularly political in nature.  They are often accused of being too liberal but they do present both sides of an argument rather well.

Got some PBS videos - good stuff. Not surprised to hear that it has low suscription though, actually requires some intelligence! No naked sexy stuff, no violence, no raucous humour - nothing for the unwashed masses.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Dave on May 23, 2018, 01:24:19 AM
Quote from: Icarus on May 23, 2018, 12:59:07 AM

Got some PBS videos - good stuff. Not surprised to hear that it has low suscription though, actually requires some intelligence! No naked sexy stuff, no violence, no raucous humour - nothing for the unwashed masses.

I don't have the link anymore because I moved last year and the link was in my old browser at my Dad's house but when Obama increased the money for social services, most of that money went into funding things like PBS and NPR. And the way they do things is that the donators pick what gets put on there shows. So when the economy was collapsing (in the Bush era) most people who were donating did not have the money to do so anymore. So the government stepped in and did so.

And now Trump has been elected and he decreased the money for disabled and elderly. NOT for PBS and NPR. Or at least that wasn't mentioned. And he got away with that quietly because of all the racket and whining about the "Social Services has sooo much money being spent on it". Not the fact that most of that money was going to NPR and PBS. Which it still probably is, but the Trump administration is in charge of that now.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

An encore shooting today at a Jewish Temple in Pittsburgh Pa. Eight dead several wounded including four police. The shooter is in custody. 

Tom62

Quote from: Icarus on October 28, 2018, 01:09:12 AM
An encore shooting today at a Jewish Temple in Pittsburgh Pa. Eight dead several wounded including four police. The shooter is in custody.

Last thing that I heard was that 11 people died.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on October 28, 2018, 01:09:12 AM

I heard about this is the news.  :( Is the shooter's motivation known?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

I heard he shouted something like, 'All Jews must die', but I don't know to which murderous ideology he subscribes.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 29, 2018, 12:39:14 AM
I heard he shouted something like, 'All Jews must die', but I don't know to which murderous ideology he subscribes.

Absolutely disgusting.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

The fatality count has increased to eleven and there are some others in hospital. SOme on the critical list.  The subdivision where the synagogue is located  has a large Jewish presence.  The area is called Squirrel Hill and not because the Jews are being called squirrels. The area had that name long before the demographic developed.

The shooter is in custody and he is apparently a crackpot who dislikes hates anyone that is Jewish.  Who knows what motivates someone to take such insanely barbaric action.?  Maybe it is because he is convinced that the Jews are the ones who killed Jesus. 

Nothing has been revealed about whether he is a practicing Pentecostal or member of some other far out group.

Recusant

You think you can't be surprised any more by the relentless counter-factual propaganda coming from the Trump administration. Don't underestimate them!

"Kellyanne Conway blamed synagogue shootings on 'anti-religiosity'" | Vox

QuoteWhite House counselor Kellyanne Conway blamed Saturday's Tree of Life synagogue shooting in which 11 were killed on "the anti-religiosity in this country."

Speaking to Fox & Friends on Monday morning, Conway defended Trump against accusations that his nationalist rhetoric — including his continued stoking of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories against Jewish philanthropist billionaire George Soros — contributed to the radicalization of alleged shooter Robert Bowers.

Trump "denounced anti-Semitism," Conway told the show's hosts, before pivoting the discussion to the state of religion in America.

"The anti-religiosity in this country that is somehow in vogue ... making fun of people who express religion, the late-night comedians, the unfunny people who go on TV. ... It's always anti-religious," she said, before invoking the 2015 fatal shooting of nine black parishioners in a Charleston, South Carolina, church by a white supremacist, Dylann Roof. "These people were gunned down in their place of worship," she said of both the Charleston victims and those of Saturday's shooting, before concluding that the shootings were a sign that "this is no time to be driving God out of the public square."

[Continues . . .]

"It's dirty anti-theism, that's what it is!" :picard facepalm: :eyeroll:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Just in case anyone had any doubt, humans still suck!

Essie Mae

They'll never give up the right of citizens to bear arms, but why must they allow members of the public to carry semi-automatic weapons? A hand gun is bad enough but marginally better than such horrible weapons. At least you have to stop and load it every six shots.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare