News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Net Neutrality Is At Risk

Started by Arturo, July 12, 2017, 09:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Arturo on July 20, 2017, 10:00:25 PM
Quote from: Davin on July 20, 2017, 09:32:21 PM
Quote from: Arturo on July 20, 2017, 09:28:46 PM
Yes the comments should still be visible even if the site crashed correct?
Depends on where and how the comments are stored.

Here's the thing, if they were on the receiving end of a DDoS attack, other people would have seen that traffic pass through their servers on the way to hitting the FCC site. However, by all metrics it looks like all the traffic that hit the FCC were from real people trying to submit legitimate comments.

My argument is, if the comments were still visible, they should have no reason to deny that they read them or they are not doing there job.
Oh, yeah, I thought you meant during the time of the crash. Yes afterward and now they can see the comments, DDoS attacks generally only hurt access to a site or bring the server itself down. The data and the site itself are hardly ever affected.

They're argument though is something like this: because those thousands of pro NN comments might be the result of a DDoS attack, that they shouldn't have to consider them valid.

Basically, that the pro NN supporters are so many people, that the only explanation is that we're not real.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on July 20, 2017, 10:40:50 PM
Quote from: Arturo on July 20, 2017, 10:00:25 PM
Quote from: Davin on July 20, 2017, 09:32:21 PM
Quote from: Arturo on July 20, 2017, 09:28:46 PM
Yes the comments should still be visible even if the site crashed correct?
Depends on where and how the comments are stored.

Here's the thing, if they were on the receiving end of a DDoS attack, other people would have seen that traffic pass through their servers on the way to hitting the FCC site. However, by all metrics it looks like all the traffic that hit the FCC were from real people trying to submit legitimate comments.

My argument is, if the comments were still visible, they should have no reason to deny that they read them or they are not doing there job.
Oh, yeah, I thought you meant during the time of the crash. Yes afterward and now they can see the comments, DDoS attacks generally only hurt access to a site or bring the server itself down. The data and the site itself are hardly ever affected.

They're argument though is something like this: because those thousands of pro NN comments might be the result of a DDoS attack, that they shouldn't have to consider them valid.

Basically, that the pro NN supporters are so many people, that the only explanation is that we're not real.

That's a very dangerous line of thinking. Especially considering there are so many of us. You can marginalize a small group more effectively than a group as big as 8 million.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Does anyone know of a place where I can find out where my Senators stand on Net Neutrality? I live in Michigan in case you forgot.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Your senators will have offices somewhere in your state. Those offices are usually cooperative enough to tell you where your senator stands on whatever subject is at hand.

Get busy on the internet to find their location and phone number.

Arturo

Quote from: Icarus on August 28, 2017, 06:47:12 AM
Your senators will have offices somewhere in your state. Those offices are usually cooperative enough to tell you where your senator stands on whatever subject is at hand.

Get busy on the internet to find their location and phone number.

I don't have money to drive all around for that because I'm poor. They have emails and there was a website that showed where everyone stands but I lost the website. If I can get that website, I can find the emails easily.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Do you know the names of your senators and your representatives?  If you do, then the offices will be listed on the internet along with telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.  No need to leave home to do some investigations. If you do not know their names you can find that information on the internet also.

Go for it.

Arturo

No I don't know there names. I don't know where any of them stand either when I look them up. It doesn't say anywhere else except on the one website I've been asking for.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Looks like the Net Neutrality is going to come back maybe. They are still trying to overturn the decision the FCC made.
https://www.cnet.com/news/senate-democrats-win-significant-victory-to-preserve-net-neutrality-rules/
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Yeah, call your reps. Mine are against NN, But I bug them anyway.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on May 16, 2018, 10:09:41 PM
Yeah, call your reps. Mine are against NN, But I bug them anyway.

I sent them and Ajat a message. (Ajait Pai was being typically sarcastic and didn't give but one response that said "You're Welcome" or some stupid shit like that. At least when I do it, I mean it.) Anyways, most of mine are against the FCC decision, but it gets different when you get to party lines. The Reps. are against the FCC decision, but want to set up new regulations by working with whoever is in charge of it now. Which is a dumb move in my mind because if you don't agree with the decision why not just over turn it like the Dems. want to do? And I can actually have a conversation with the Dems. via email but the Reps. don't want that so I can send an email, but I get a message back from another email that I can't reply to. So it's like that suggestion box that nobody ever reads.

Arturo The1  リ壱

Old Seer

Quote from: Arturo on July 14, 2017, 11:00:35 PM
Update - 2 Million Comments to FCC in support of Net Neutrality

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/net-neutrality-organizer-says-fcc-gets-2-million-comments/
Can one expect we have a fascist system now. Looks like corporations have become government.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Arturo

Quote from: Old Seer on May 17, 2018, 01:00:42 PM
Quote from: Arturo on July 14, 2017, 11:00:35 PM
Update - 2 Million Comments to FCC in support of Net Neutrality

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/net-neutrality-organizer-says-fcc-gets-2-million-comments/
Can one expect we have a fascist system now. Looks like corporations have become government.

It's been like that for a long time actually. This is just the first time it went public because of the internet spreading information so fast and freely. That's why we cannot let them get away with censorship.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Thinking this thread should probably go into the politics section now since it mostly considers politics at this point.

Looks like Ajit Pai was found to be actually lying about the DDoS attacks that were supposed to have messed with the voting for or against the repeal of Net Neutrality. And it also looks like he is walking into a corruption scandal of his own with AT&T and Michael Cohen. The very same Michael Cohen that is, or was Trump's lawyer. It's very strange that this lawyer is kind of at the centerfold of everything.
     Arturo The1  リ壱