News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

I'm back!

Started by Bluenose, November 27, 2017, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Bluenose on November 29, 2017, 12:59:57 PM
Well us Aussies (pronounced "ozzies" BTW) are far more inclusive than that, all residents of Great Britain are Pommies.  Also, an alternative derivation of Pommy is from POME, Prisoner Of Mother England, a reflection perhaps on our convict history.  You mileage may vary. Oh, and in most Aussie's eyes, at least in casual conversation, England includes Scotland and Wales, and all citizens of the USA are Yanks.  But it's all OK, you're all welcome to come over and visit and we'll give you good advice on how to avoid drop-bears!

OK, I guess there are several explanations of the source - that's just the one I found. 

From now on, Tank is a Pommy.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 29, 2017, 01:23:28 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 29, 2017, 12:45:56 PM
Never heard of "Pommy Land", so I looked it up.  Poms are Brits who immigrate to Australia, and the sun turns their skin red like a pomegranate, thus "Pom ".  Pommy Land is England.  Learn something new every day.

I haven't  heard that, don't necessarily believe that. I thought, assumed it had to do with the way they talked.
I've read/heard of the black fellas seeing the interlopers venturing inland as pink/red.

Well, it could be wrong. Just what I found.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 29, 2017, 02:38:22 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 29, 2017, 01:23:28 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 29, 2017, 12:45:56 PM
Never heard of "Pommy Land", so I looked it up.  Poms are Brits who immigrate to Australia, and the sun turns their skin red like a pomegranate, thus "Pom ".  Pommy Land is England.  Learn something new every day.

I haven't  heard that, don't necessarily believe that. I thought, assumed it had to do with the way they talked.
I've read/heard of the black fellas seeing the interlopers venturing inland as pink/red.

Well, it could be wrong. Just what I found.

You could be right,
I think I have seen a pomegranate in a fruit shop.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bluenose

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 29, 2017, 02:37:28 PM
Well us Aussies (pronounced "ozzies" BTW) are far more inclusive than that, all residents of Great Britain are Pommies.  Also, an alternative derivation of Pommy is from POME, Prisoner Of Mother England, a reflection perhaps on our convict history.  You mileage may vary. Oh, and in most Aussie's eyes, at least in casual conversation, England includes Scotland and Wales, and all citizens of the USA are Yanks.  But it's all OK, you're all welcome to come over and visit and we'll give you good advice on how to avoid drop-bears!

OK, I guess there are several explanations of the source - that's just the one I found. 

Well, since we really like him, the correct term of endearment is "a Pommy bastard", we never bother insulting people we don't like.  However, the word bastard (which says nothing about the subject's parentage) should only be used by fluent and expert speakers of Aussie English. Used appropriately with the correct tone of voice and preferably with a couple of stubbies* in your hand, a bastard can be your best mate, even more so if he is an old bastard as in "strewth it's hot! Get one of these into you, you old bastard".  Other kinds of bastards include the unfortunate poor bastards and the wiley clever bastards. Complete bastards and proper bastards are terms only ever used in a perjorative sense.  However even just the word bastard on it's own can be highly insulting if deliveref with the wrong tone of voice or facial expression.   English speakers are advised to avoid using the word as it's many subtleties are very difficult for the non-native speaker to pick up on.

* A stubby is a small (375 ml) bottle of icy cold beer
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bluenose on November 29, 2017, 03:55:08 PM

Well, since we really like him, the correct term of endearment is "a Pommy bastard", we never bother insulting people we don't like.  However, the word bastard (which says nothing about the subject's parentage) should only be used by fluent and expert speakers of Aussie English. Used appropriately with the correct tone of voice and preferably with a couple of stubbies* in your hand, a bastard can be your best mate, even more so if he is an old bastard as in "strewth it's hot! Get one of these into you, you old bastard".  Other kinds of bastards include the unfortunate poor bastards and the wiley clever bastards. Complete bastards and proper bastards are terms only ever used in a perjorative sense.  However even just the word bastard on it's own can be highly insulting if deliveref with the wrong tone of voice or facial expression.   English speakers are advised to avoid using the word as it's many subtleties are very difficult for the non-native speaker to pick up on.

* A stubby is a small (375 ml) bottle of icy cold beer

You could say what you want to say and not pose as speaking for 23million
we are not special.
we live in a place that is

Dave

Hey, me too!

The anecdote I mentioned before. (You have to imagine the bit in italics as being in s strong German accent.) At an RAF base in Germany back in the Cold War days, a detachment of Aussies got in really well with the locals, especially the local police who looked after the main gates.

My mate was learning German and had asked these coppers to help him by always speaking German to him. But, after only two days of their Antipodean guests my mate was off out into town and greeted the gate guard, "Guten Morgen mein Freund!" The reply was, "Guten Morgen,  mein cobber, es ist ein fair dinkum tag, ja?"
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 29, 2017, 04:16:59 PM

we are not special.

Hey, I'm not trying to represent anyone.  Just having a bit of fun and not taking myself too seriously.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

The same sex marriage vote!
Hoot!

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bluenose on November 29, 2017, 04:37:47 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 29, 2017, 04:16:59 PM

we are not special.

Hey, I'm not trying to represent anyone.  Just having a bit of fun and not taking myself too seriously.

Ye, I understand, you're probably in your cups, they voted magpie top bird,
what's with that?

Whip birds, do you have them down there?

Kookaburras, I think I've made mine a bit fearful.
I had these desperate tousled individuals turn up at my windows in wild weather.
They were turned away, ignored.
I think I may have broke some compact I never knew I made.
I'd split wood and they'd always be there
They're still there but they wait till I move away

Tank

Pommy bastard would be better :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 29, 2017, 04:47:53 PM
The same sex marriage vote!
Hoot!

You betcha.  Also, down here in Victoria the voluntary assisted dying bill has just passed in both houses and is headed to the Governor for assent.  Restores my faith a bit that this country can do it right when it sets it's mind to it. Now we've just got to do something about the Manus refugee thing, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

GNU Terry Pratchett

OldGit

Glad to see you back, Blue!  If you come back to Pommy-land, we still have some of that brandy left.  ;)

No one

Hello back, I'm front.

Bluenose

Quote from: OldGit on November 30, 2017, 09:50:34 AM
Glad to see you back, Blue!  If you come back to Pommy-land, we still have some of that brandy left.  ;)

Ooh, tempting.  Especially if we can acquire some more of those pork pies we got in Iron Bridge!  8)

Quote from: No one on November 30, 2017, 11:29:59 PM
Hello back, I'm front.

LOL!  ;D ;D ;D

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

The Pommie term is fabled to go way back in time when the British sailors would be at sea so long that they contracted cases of  debilitating scurvy or beri-beri. That was then thought to be caused by a lack of some essential vitamin found in earthbound foods like kale or carrots or something of the sort.  Turns out that pomegranates were rich in the essential vitamin or mineral or whatever. That fruit was plentiful in north Africa and western Asia.  The Brit navy then provisioned their ships with that fruit so that each sailor could partake of his daily ration....Grog or watered down rum was also a daily ration it is said. 

In the Atlantic seas, pomegranates were less durable and less available than another fruit that apparently had the essential trace ingredient. That would be limes. The rulers of the seas used whatever comestibles that might  serve the purpose. Thus in the Indian ocean areas the Brit sailors were Pommies, and in the Atlantic side they were called Limeys.  We Yanks called the Brits Limeys but did not have the creativity to call them Limey Bastards.

All the above might be enough to explain the terms used to describe the damnable British colonialists. Or maybe that is just idle conjecture.  The tale works.................I can tell you with certainty that we yanks hold the Brits and the Ozzies in high esteem in these troubled times. The world is seriously fucked up and we need to stick together, and we who are paying attention do regard the Pommie Bastards and the Ozzies as our valued allies and we feel a valued kinship to them. (disclaimer; That last sentence applies only to those of us who have some sense of world community and those who do not have our heads up our asses)