News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

WTF is wrong with Arizona?

Started by Ali, March 29, 2012, 04:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Amicale on March 29, 2012, 09:14:09 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 29, 2012, 09:09:44 PM
Quote from: Amicale on March 29, 2012, 09:06:51 PM
I predict a LOT of women in AZ will mysteriously develop mind-blindlingly painful cramps and heavy cycles that they *need* pills for.  :P
Well this is exactly what women did in the UK when the pill was first made available. Only married women could get it on prescription for contraception. Single women had to have a 'sound medical reason'  :D

Yes, "my cramps are so bad I'll rip your damned jugular out if you don't hand over those pills" might just do it.  :D

Haha!!
No woman should gave to lie for their b.c.  It's their damn right.

((ignoring AD cuz he seems to be instigating)) ::)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 29, 2012, 09:24:49 PM
((ignoring AD cuz he seems to be instigating)) ::)

I wasn't instigating, but I can accept you thinking so.

Ali

I predict a LOT of women in AZ will mysteriously develop mind-blindlingly painful cramps and heavy cycles that they *need* pills for.  :P
Well this is exactly what women did in the UK when the pill was first made available. Only married women could get it on prescription for contraception. Single women had to have a 'sound medical reason'  :D

Yes, "my cramps are so bad I'll rip your damned jugular out if you don't hand over those pills" might just do it.  :D

*Snort*  When I was going off to college, I asked my doctor to write me a 'scrip for bc pills "to regulate my period" because, for reasons I no longer remember, my mom was in the room (who goes in the drs office with their 18 year old?).  Think either of them bought it?   ;D

Stevil

I'm just trying to think this through, trying to understand both side of the coin and what the problem is.

Christian business owner issue:
"My church tells me it is immoral to use contraceptives, that it is akin to murdering babies"
"My government tells me that I need to pay for health insurance for my staff and this now includes contraceptives"
"I don't want to financially support the murder of babies, even if the government tells me that I must, Oh my, I'm either going to hell for all eternity or I am going to go to prison and lose my business during this short earth life of mine. Head hurts!"

Woman employee issue:
"What business is it of my employer's if I am using contraceptives, I'm not having sex on work time"
"Don't push your insane, unsubstantiated beliefs on me"
"This is a total violation of my privacy, my personhood, my womanhood, WTF!"
"It's my life, I'm not going to have a million babies or stop enjoying sex because my boss is an idiot, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Stevil's issue:
What does contraceptives have to do with health insurance?
Isn't contraceptives a BAU part of life, like buying clothes or breakfast or paying for electricity. It's not a medical accident that you need to insure against.

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on March 29, 2012, 10:13:09 PM
Stevil's issue:
What does contraceptives have to do with health insurance?
Isn't contraceptives a BAU part of life, like buying clothes or breakfast or paying for electricity. It's not a medical accident that you need to insure against.

Most forms of birth control are by prescription only, and thus are covered by prescription benefits which are part of the health insurance package.  Since we have such a screwed up expensive medical care system, that's one of the two ways I know of to get affordable bc (the other is Planned Parenthood, which conservatives are also trying to do away with.)

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on March 29, 2012, 10:01:43 PM

*Snort*  When I was going off to college, I asked my doctor to write me a 'scrip for bc pills "to regulate my period" because, for reasons I no longer remember, my mom was in the room (who goes in the drs office with their 18 year old?).  Think either of them bought it?   ;D

XD Pfft
That's amusing,,Ali.   I'm sure they were just glad you were being responsible.  :)

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: Ali on March 29, 2012, 10:18:01 PM
Most forms of birth control are by prescription only, and thus are covered by prescription benefits which are part of the health insurance package.  Since we have such a screwed up expensive medical care system, that's one of the two ways I know of to get affordable bc (the other is Planned Parenthood, which conservatives are also trying to do away with.)

Aha,
So the solution ought to be that the pill and the morning after pill ought to be non prescription, unless of course there are dangers that need to be screened by qualified doctors.

You don't need prescription for condoms right, you can buy those at the supermarket right?

Sweetdeath

Like Ali said, most b.c have to be given through a doctor perscription. Though I think most planned parenthood offices will give yoy a way to get them for  free or very little money.

My issue is that b.c should be free for all women. The same way you can just pick up free condoms at most places. ( at least in nyc)

I definitely dont need it, so I dont see why it would an issue with my job or health insurance. People shouldnt assume all women are b.c, and even if they are, NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. B.c doesnt affect    your job skills.

The only reason some people are making a big deal is because there isnt b.c for men aside from condoms, WHICH REALLY NEEDS TO CHANGE.

I am sick of women  bearing all the burden with b.c issues.

xSilverPhinx

Bad move, going back into the dark ages (and I mean that in the pejorative sense).

In a hypothetical world where people make don't allow for these things, women will have more illegal and more dangerous abortions because they weren't able to avoid contraception in the first place.

Religious ideas like this are just so insane and so inane that it can take a while to get used to. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Stevil on March 29, 2012, 10:23:28 PM
Quote from: Ali on March 29, 2012, 10:18:01 PM
Most forms of birth control are by prescription only, and thus are covered by prescription benefits which are part of the health insurance package.  Since we have such a screwed up expensive medical care system, that's one of the two ways I know of to get affordable bc (the other is Planned Parenthood, which conservatives are also trying to do away with.)

Aha,
So the solution ought to be that the pill and the morning after pill ought to be non prescription, unless of course there are dangers that need to be screened by qualified doctors.

You don't need prescription for condoms right, you can buy those at the supermarket right?

I'm pretty sure the morning-after pill is non-prescription (at least in Canada). As far as I know anyone can walk into a pharmacy and ask for one, it's just not widely advertised.

I can see why birth control is prescription, though. It may be a very common medication, but it does have side-effects and cautions that people have to be aware of. If you have clotting issues, for example, it can be deadly because most birth control increases your likelihood of throwing a clot. This is compounded if you smoke or have other issues, so that is something that should be examined and discussed with a doctor, I'd think. They can also effect your mood, weight, etc.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

I'd like to commission a poem.
Title it ode to the abhorrent
I won't tell you what to write
But there's synonyms that fit
detestable, repugnant, repulsive
I have tried to do it myself,
but the thinking made me sick.

Stevil

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 03:01:26 AM
I'm pretty sure the morning-after pill is non-prescription (at least in Canada). As far as I know anyone can walk into a pharmacy and ask for one, it's just not widely advertised.

I can see why birth control is prescription, though. It may be a very common medication, but it does have side-effects and cautions that people have to be aware of. If you have clotting issues, for example, it can be deadly because most birth control increases your likelihood of throwing a clot. This is compounded if you smoke or have other issues, so that is something that should be examined and discussed with a doctor, I'd think. They can also effect your mood, weight, etc.
So if the pill requires a doctor's expertise, then someone has to pay for it.
I don't see why a Christian employer, whom considers the pill akin to murder, would be happy being forced to financially support it.
I also don't see why insurance companies would pay for something that is BAU and not accidental.

Shouldn't the government simply subsidise the cost of the pill, rather than put employers and insurance companies into a strange and difficult position?

DeterminedJuliet

They might not be happy to support it, but if they're offering health insurance, the current laws say the insurance has to cover birth control, just as it would cover any medication. It's not like the employers provide a custom list of medications they want covered or anything - and I do think that's probably a better way to go about things.

But I'm not all that familiar with how private insurance in the states works, because it's totally different in Canada. In Canada, the doctor's visit to get birth control is paid for by provincial coverage, but the woman has to pay for the birth control herself. Which is no big deal really, because it's pretty cheap here (again, I have no idea how much it is in the states, but most prescriptions cost more in the States).

Personally, I wouldn't find having to pay for the birth control myself to be the most offense part, it'd be the having to "explain myself" to my boss. Either cover it for everyone or don't. Unless you're a doctor, or it directly effects my work, it's none of your damn business why I'm taking any medication.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

DeterminedJuliet

QuoteMoreover, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, the law would give Arizona employers the green light to fire a woman upon finding out that she took birth control for the purpose of preventing pregnancy.

This also implies that, even if the employer isn't paying for the birth control, they could still have grounds to fire any "disobedient" woman for violating her bosses' "morals". I have no idea how, if the employer isn't paying for it, they could find out whether a woman's taking birth control or not, but it's still pretty fucked up.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 04:46:15 AM
QuoteMoreover, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, the law would give Arizona employers the green light to fire a woman upon finding out that she took birth control for the purpose of preventing pregnancy.

This also implies that, even if the employer isn't paying for the birth control, they could still have grounds to fire any "disobedient" woman for violating her bosses' "morals". I have no idea how, if the employer isn't paying for it, they could find out whether a woman's taking birth control or not, but it's still pretty fucked up.

The saddest thing to me is, men will never have to face this kind of discrimination.

Whatever the reason is, b.c is a private matter. Just like the color if your socks, no one has the right to know  , because it doesnt affect your work day.