News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Showing Graphic Pictures of Abortion During the Super Bowl

Started by Ali, January 11, 2012, 11:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 12, 2012, 06:57:24 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 12, 2012, 06:48:15 PM
It may just be me, but hard core pro-lifers are on my list right next to PETA supporters in terms of general stupidity. I also never really got why abortion was such a bad thing either.

Same here.
Even if you consider a fetus a human at its earliest stages, it is really kinda redundant to grant it personhood.
The adult woman with a life of her own has any and all rights no matter what. I am not pro life, because it's like screaming into a pillow'. Pointless. Putting emphasis on a fetus is like refusing to eat eggs cuz they MIGHT have been baby chicks if fertilized. e___e
I don't think twice about aborting fetuses, especially for  some women who have to choose between death and giving birth.

I fully agree with you. I hate it when people say that an unborn fetus has more rights than an adult.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 12, 2012, 07:03:48 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 12, 2012, 06:57:24 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 12, 2012, 06:48:15 PM
It may just be me, but hard core pro-lifers are on my list right next to PETA supporters in terms of general stupidity. I also never really got why abortion was such a bad thing either.

Same here.
Even if you consider a fetus a human at its earliest stages, it is really kinda redundant to grant it personhood.
The adult woman with a life of her own has any and all rights no matter what. I am not pro life, because it's like screaming into a pillow'. Pointless. Putting emphasis on a fetus is like refusing to eat eggs cuz they MIGHT have been baby chicks if fertilized. e___e
I don't think twice about aborting fetuses, especially for  some women who have to choose between death and giving birth.

I fully agree with you. I hate it when people say that an unborn fetus has more rights than an adult.

Yes. It really pisses me off. Fanatics.
I just feel really bad for ANYONE who has to go through an abortion. It's scary enough without someone saying you're a murderer.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on January 12, 2012, 06:30:46 PM
"Abortion Causes Breast Cancer." 

Apparently they aren't keeping up to date with current research that conclusively disproves this mid-century theory.  Not that keeping up with research would help -- what's that saying, "my mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts."
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

fester30

The wife and I are having difficulties conceiving, so we are looking into adoption.  From a selfish perspective, I'd rather see fewer women getting abortions and more giving up for adoption.  However, I'm not willing to force that on them because of course it's not an easy choice to make for many, and I also don't want to cause psychological problems to a woman who had a baby and gave it up rather than getting the abortion.

Aside from whatever side a person is on with this abortion issue... the fact that this is going on television bothers me.  I'd rather see Madonna get naked and hump a bedpost.  I don't think that sort of thing keeps women in the situation from having an abortion, nor do I think it really makes a big difference in people's minds who are already pro choice.  I just think it gives pro-lifers something to rally behind and pat themselves on the back for.

Sweetdeath

We all know pro-life people love to smell eachother's farts.

Also, there are plently of kids in need of homes. The problem is, people want newborns and not 6year olds. That's really sad. I'd rather see less kids in the adoption cycle.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 12, 2012, 11:27:44 PM
We all know pro-life people love to smell eachother's farts.

Also, there are plently of kids in need of homes. The problem is, people want newborns and not 6year olds. That's really sad. I'd rather see less kids in the adoption cycle.

In fairness, if you look at adoption sites, many adoptable older children have some sort of special needs.  I am NOT saying that these kids don't deserve loving homes because of course they do, but I do think it's understandable to have someone look at that and be unsure if they are up to that challenge.  I have been looking at the adoption sites off and on for the past year, and I really *want* to be the person that can provide all of the love and care and everything that some of these kids need.  They break my heart, looking at them and knowing how much they need someone to adopt them and love them, and I am totally in awe of the people that do.  But then I look at my situation, and I just don't know how we would make it work.  Would it be fair to my husband and my kid to take on something like that that would most likely take up so much of my energy and time and emotional reserves?  Would we survive it with our marriage intact?  And am I even the kind of person that could devote myself so unselfishly?

And I know that health is not guaranteed with any child.  If I ever manage to have another child, that child could have a lot of special needs too.  But I guess I feel like it's one thing to have it just happen, and another thing to choose it willingly.  It's really daunting.

All that isn't a reason why women shouldn't get abortions - it's just that I used to think the same thing - if people want a child so bad, why don't they adopt one of the thousands of children who need a home right now.  Having now actually looked at it and tried to think about it realistically, I understand why it's not that simple.

DeterminedJuliet

Honestly, when it comes to taking on the responsibility for another living creature, you should really be honest with yourself about your emotional/physical/financial limitations. You should take on what you can take on, not what you wish you could take on. I don't think I'd ever judge another person for any of their decisions when it comes to bringing a child into their life. Heck, I see a lot of people who adopt dogs who don't know what they're getting into and can't handle it after the fact. Being honest with yourself doesn't make you a bad person.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Don't fret, Ali. No situation is simple, and anything can happen. ^___^ That's why there needs to be more understanding in the world and less judging.

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 13, 2012, 01:37:04 AM
That's why there needs to be more understanding in the world and less judging.

True that.   ;)

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ali on January 12, 2012, 05:14:09 PMAnd I think that if you are going to start trying to tell a woman what she should do in the case of an unwanted pregnancy, then you'd better be ready to put your money where your mouth is and support programs that help women and children such as universal healthcare. 

Yes that above, care for the living.
There are people I quite like who have decided that they don't want to have children.  Not because they are selfish, they see the world and they see it as not a fit place to bring a new life into.  I can understand their viewpoint.  Pro lifers and other types trying to impose their sick morality on others, it's one of societies major flaws I think.

Firebird

Abortion is a complicated, uncomfortable issue, for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, that also makes it subject to over-simplification by people who can't think beyond a simple black/white assumption. I'm very much pro-choice, but it's not like I celebrate every time someone has an abortion. It's a terrible, invasive decision to have to make. And yes, it does not look pretty.
But I wonder why that festus's mother had to abort. Maybe she would have died otherwise. Maybe she was raped. Maybe she couldn't support another child without hurting the rest of her family. Maybe it's none of those. Point is, a picture like that does not tell the full story, but a lot of people don't think that critically. They instead see an ugly picture and immediately make assumptions.
I'm not sure what effect this will have besides a possible revision of those campaign laws
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sweetdeath

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 13, 2012, 02:16:57 AM
Quote from: Ali on January 12, 2012, 05:14:09 PMAnd I think that if you are going to start trying to tell a woman what she should do in the case of an unwanted pregnancy, then you'd better be ready to put your money where your mouth is and support programs that help women and children such as universal healthcare. 

There are people I quite like who have decided that they don't want to have children.  Not because they are selfish, they see the world and they see it as not a fit place to bring a new life into.  I can understand their viewpoint.  Pro lifers and other types trying to impose their sick morality on others, it's one of societies major flaws I think.

I decided never to have children at age 12. It is a huge, forever responsibility. And yes, I agree this world is very unfit.
People who celebrate unfit parents having kids urk me....

Not everyone should reproduce because they CAN.

fester30

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 13, 2012, 03:09:45 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 13, 2012, 02:16:57 AM

I decided never to have children at age 12. It is a huge, forever responsibility. And yes, I agree this world is very unfit.
People who celebrate unfit parents having kids urk me....

Not everyone should reproduce because they CAN.

That's a good thing.  Most 12 year olds have a difficult time being parents.

Sweetdeath

LOL XD fester <3
I meant I was very dead set on being happy in my life without children. I knew it wasn't for me at a very young age.

m.condon

I think you become a personal when you get a SSN, take first breath. Showing such graphic images is an obvious attack that will not phase most adults who have already established their stance and belief on the issues but may shock many teens and especially young kids. My 10 yr old brother is gonna watch the Super Bowl! I havent even had the sex talk with him, and I def dont wanna explain an abortion or why someone would have them. I think it is like showing cows being brutally butchered and then showing a hamburger....but much worse. I think it should be prevented but he has the law on his side. I think the US should have laws like Canada against slanderous talk on the air...Not familiar with the exactlaws but they can't lie on News Braodcast and they cant debase someone or something like this...I think...correct me if I am wrong. I'm from the US and am only repeating what I've been told
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>