News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Because using a cattle brand implies a lack of trust.

Started by Ali, June 28, 2012, 04:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

http://www.newser.com/story/149034/anti-adultery-ring-it-imprints-im-married.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=slate&utm_campaign=greatfinds_rss

QuoteWorried about your spouse slipping off the wedding ring and cheating on you? Put this in the last-resort category: a ring that leaves the words 'I'M MARRIED' on the flesh. The band is engraved on the inside, so an imprint on the skin is made after it's worn for a while. Offbeat gift maker TheCheeky is selling the titanium ring for $550, notes BoingBoing.

"With Arnold (and) Tiger in mind, we have created this wedding ring for people intent on cheating," explains the product description. "The negative engraving on the inside means that when you are in the 'Club' and an attractive woman...or man comes along to chat, slipping your wedding ring off is not an option..."

What do you think?  Funny and tongue in cheek?  Gross?  Useful?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on June 28, 2012, 04:40:59 PM

From what I hear, it's more of a turn-on/"go for him first" type thing for women when they see a wedding ring on a man...

OldGit

The sneaky type of bridegroom could have the best man keep the ring red-hot in an insulated box.  Slip it on her finger and psstt!  She's branded for life.

I wonder if the bride might begin to suspect when she saw her beloved slipping on an asbestos glove at the altar...

DeterminedJuliet

I don't need one because my husband already has my name tattoo'd on his personage.  ;D
(Don't look at me, he wanted to!)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 28, 2012, 04:49:15 PM

From what I hear, it's more of a turn-on/"go for him first" type thing for women when they see a wedding ring on a man...

I don't know about that; I was never really the "steal someone else's man just to prove you can" type.  But I will say, if I were "shopping around" an "I'm Married" imprint on the ring finger would make me run away quick.  Not so much because he's married, but because he's married to a psycho and you just know she'd break into your house and boil your dog or something.  Thanks but no thanks.  So I guess it would be effective.  But still weird and gross.

I'm pro-wedding ring.  I like the idea of a physical symbol or talisman.  But the whole point behind a marriage (and it's corresponding symbol) is that it has to be a commitment that people enter into freely, or else it doesn't really count.  So, if my Husband wants to slip off his wedding ring (if he even wore one, which he doesn't because he hates all kinds of jewelry and I'm not going to make him wear something that he hates just to prove something to me that I should already know) and pretend to be single, having "I'm married" branded on his finger won't solve that problem.  The problem is between he and I, not him and the ring.

Velma

Quote from: Ali on June 28, 2012, 04:57:00 PM

I don't know about that; I was never really the "steal someone else's man just to prove you can" type.  But I will say, if I were "shopping around" an "I'm Married" imprint on the ring finger would make me run away quick.  Not so much because he's married, but because he's married to a psycho and you just know she'd break into your house and boil your dog or something.  Thanks but no thanks.  So I guess it would be effective.  But still weird and gross.

I'm pro-wedding ring.  I like the idea of a physical symbol or talisman.  But the whole point behind a marriage (and it's corresponding symbol) is that it has to be a commitment that people enter into freely, or else it doesn't really count.  So, if my Husband wants to slip off his wedding ring (if he even wore one, which he doesn't because he hates all kinds of jewelry and I'm not going to make him wear something that he hates just to prove something to me that I should already know) and pretend to be single, having "I'm married" branded on his finger won't solve that problem.  The problem is between he and I, not him and the ring.
Exactly.  My husband doesn't wear a wedding ring for the same reason yours doesn't, Ali.  I don't wear mine at work for fear of getting it caught - lots of moving parts where I work. 

A ring is a outer token of a promise you've made, not the promise itself.  Commitment is something you live, it is not a piece of jewelry you switch out depending on your mood.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

http://www.newser.com/story/149034/anti-adultery-ring-it-imprints-im-married.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=slate&utm_campaign=greatfinds_rss

QuoteWorried about your spouse slipping off the wedding ring and cheating on you? Put this in the last-resort category: a ring that leaves the words 'I'M MARRIED' on the flesh. The band is engraved on the inside, so an imprint on the skin is made after it's worn for a while. Offbeat gift maker TheCheeky is selling the titanium ring for $550, notes BoingBoing.

"With Arnold (and) Tiger in mind, we have created this wedding ring for people intent on cheating," explains the product description. "The negative engraving on the inside means that when you are in the 'Club' and an attractive woman...or man comes along to chat, slipping your wedding ring off is not an option..."

You'd take it off when you left home. Waste of time. If you have to spend $550 because you don't trust your spouse your marriage is dead in the water. Spend the money on a divorce.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

What do you think?  Funny and tongue in cheek?  Gross?  Useful?

That's evolution for you. The ladies,the heterosexual ones anyway,  are programmed to favour a chap who has proven his ability to land (and presumably provide for) a female.Thus, the astute man-about-town remains resolutely single, but wears a conspicuous wedding ring.  
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on June 28, 2012, 07:46:38 PM

That's evolution for you. The ladies,the heterosexual ones anyway,  are programmed to favour a chap who has proven his ability to land (and presumably provide for) a female.Thus, the astute man-about-town remains resolutely single, but wears a conspicuous wedding ring.  

*Shakes head*  There are so many things wrong with that.   ;D  A) Stupid women thinking that a man who is apt to cheat or leave his current wife for them is some sort of a "better bet." B) Stupid men deceiving stupid women in order to...what?...not provide for them, I'm guessing.  *Shakes head*

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on June 28, 2012, 07:57:33 PM
Quote from: En_Route on June 28, 2012, 07:46:38 PM

*Shakes head*  There are so many things wrong with that.   ;D  A) Stupid women thinking that a man who is apt to cheat or leave his current wife for them is some sort of a "better bet." B) Stupid men deceiving stupid women in order to...what?...not provide for them, I'm guessing.  *Shakes head*

I blame that Darwin myself.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Stevil

Neither me nor the wife wear our rings, we umed and ared so much before the wedding on whether to even buy rings, unfortunately we did buy some, but we don't wear them, just not into jewelry.

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on June 28, 2012, 08:09:24 PM
Neither me nor the wife wear our rings, we umed and ared so much before the wedding on whether to even buy rings, unfortunately we did buy some, but we don't wear them, just not into jewelry.

I think that's totally fine.  You guys know what's up with your relationship; you don't need a ring to remind you if you're not ring people.  Personally I love my wedding ring, but I suspect that has a lot to do with my crow-like affinity for all things shiny and sparkly.  It's funny because a lot of people (mostly whom I happened to be related to) seem to think it's weird that I don't "make" my husband wear a wedding ring.  I just hate that implication, like I should be in the sort of relationship where I force a grown man to wear he's something he doesn't like and doesn't want to wear.  He's not my property, I don't need to "put a ring around it" to mark my claim.  Either he's with me, or he's not.  Getting into a power struggle over freaking jewelry is just....bleh.  No thanks.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on June 28, 2012, 08:21:14 PM
Quote from: Stevil on June 28, 2012, 08:09:24 PM

I think that's totally fine.  You guys know what's up with your relationship; you don't need a ring to remind you if you're not ring people.  Personally I love my wedding ring, but I suspect that has a lot to do with my crow-like affinity for all things shiny and sparkly.  It's funny because a lot of people (mostly whom I happened to be related to) seem to think it's weird that I don't "make" my husband wear a wedding ring.  I just hate that implication, like I should be in the sort of relationship where I force a grown man to wear he's something he doesn't like and doesn't want to wear.  He's not my property, I don't need to "put a ring around it" to mark my claim.  Either he's with me, or he's not.  Getting into a power struggle over freaking jewelry is just....bleh.  No thanks.

Yeah, I totally agree. I never wear my engagement ring because I'm always afraid that it's going to catch on something and get broken (I know someone who lost the diamond in her ring in a store). Sometimes I get weird comments because people think it's strange that I don't wear it. I do wear my wedding band, though, because it's far more practical and I don't even notice it's there. If I had an elaborate and catchy one, I probably wouldn't wear it on a day-to-day basis, either.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Crow

The whole Roman history of the wedding ring implying male ownership of the female puts me off them full stop.
Retired member.