Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 27, 2018, 03:23:19 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 27, 2018, 03:07:44 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 27, 2018, 02:46:24 PM
So, the supervising professor for whom I gave two classes has decided to go on holiday for a week in November and has left me with the task of writing half of their exam paper questions and applying the exam to the class -- which has 55 enrolled -- while telling me to 'make sure they don't cheat'!

If cheating is a known problem, put them in a large auditorium with enough separation between the students, and have them check their cell phones at the door.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to book an auditorium (there are only two in that part of campus and they're used for special events) and I'm a little hesitant to ask them to check their cellphones because if even one gets stolen it'd be my fault. I don't know the students by name so I couldn't tell if the true owner retrieved the phone or not.

What I can do is

a) write an exam where they will need to write a few paragraphs, making it more difficult copy an answer from someone else's paper;
b) write more objective, multiple choice questions but vary their order. I would then give people in rows adjacent to each other different exam papers which contain the same questions but in a different order;
c) mix the two above alternatives.       

As for cellphones, I'll just have to try and keep a vigilant eye on them.

I like your ideas. Those are good solutions, given the circumstances.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

This reminds me of Psychology 101, where a girl in the class with me decided she was going to copy my answers for an exam. I let her do so from start to finish and as soon as she was done she looked at me with a big smile on her face before handing in her sheet.

Had she waited another minute before bolting out the door she might have seen me rewrite my sheet, moving each answer one space on the scantron to the left before erasing all of my previous answers. I think that was the last day she was in the class.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on October 28, 2018, 04:36:28 AM
This reminds me of Psychology 101, where a girl in the class with me decided she was going to copy my answers for an exam. I let her do so from start to finish and as soon as she was done she looked at me with a big smile on her face before handing in her sheet.

Had she waited another minute before bolting out the door she might have seen me rewrite my sheet, moving each answer one space on the scantron to the left before erasing all of my previous answers. I think that was the last day she was in the class.

Heh, reminds me of the time something similar happened to me in elementary school. A boy decided he was going to copy my answers. I wasn't too keen on the idea because both of us would get into trouble if the teacher was astute enough to figure out one of us had copied, so I marked all the answers I thought were wrong and waited for him to hand in his sheet before erasing them and writing the answers I thought were right. When we got our marks back he was furious with me because I had gotten a good grade while he had failed.

Some people! ::) He copied my answers while thinking I didn't notice and then got mad at me because he failed an exam he would have failed anyway!

Later that day I got a note that said "I hat you".

Um...Ok...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

That's pretty funny, you guys! One of my sons, while at the university, had an engineering class in which the professor explained that anyone caught cheating would be denied the final exam. She would leave the room at some point during tests, and then look in the window on the door. Some people immediately began sharing information. She was clearly visible!  My son could see her looking in. Come final time, he said that the look on the faces of the people who weren't given an exam was priceless.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 28, 2018, 12:37:38 PM
That's pretty funny, you guys! One of my sons, while at the university, had an engineering class in which the professor explained that anyone caught cheating would be denied the final exam. She would leave the room at some point during tests, and then look in the window on the door. Some people immediately began sharing information. She was clearly visible!  My son could see her looking in. Come final time, he said that the look on the faces of the people who weren't given an exam was priceless.

Looks like the makings of a Mastercard commercial:

Notebooks and other school material: $40

Textbooks: $250

Annual tuition fee at a private university: $34,740

The look on a cheater's face when they aren't given the final exam: priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else there's Mastercard.

jumbojak

They have those commercials in Brazil too? Please tell me you get the Geico Gecko!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on October 28, 2018, 08:54:02 PM
They have those commercials in Brazil too? Please tell me you get the Geico Gecko!

Yes, Mastercard is everywhere! :lol: No, we don't have the Geico Gecko, unfortunately. :( No caveman either.

(At least, I never saw a local version of it before.)

Buddy

I have been cursed out over the phone three times today, and it's not even noon. Love it.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tom62

Never had such a bad jet lag before, I keep waking up in the middle of the night. I'm currently on vacation in Orlando and feel tired all the day. The hotel, my wife and I are staying in, is pretty decent. What I don't understand is why the complementary breakfast is so much carb- and sugar ridden. Plastic throwaway plates, cups and cutlery everywhere  :(.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

No one

Asshats who blow red lights and nearly T-Bone you, then veer across 3 lanes and nearly smash another car.

Sorry I was in your way your highness, how silly of me!

Dark Lightning

Indeed. My middle son and I were on the freeway today, and some asshat went from the car pool lane (solo, over the double yellow to get into it) all the way across 5 lanes of traffic to get to the off ramp. I know that race car drivers have good reflexes, but this idjit nearly caused a many-car pileup. Dumb luck, to say the least.  >:(

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 07, 2018, 02:38:35 AM
Indeed. My middle son and I were on the freeway today, and some asshat went from the car pool lane (solo, over the double yellow to get into it) all the way across 5 lanes of traffic to get to the off ramp. I know that race car drivers have good reflexes, but this idjit nearly caused a many-car pileup. Dumb luck, to say the least.  >:(

That's a common sight 'round 'ere in southern Brazil. That and many other traffic atrocities. ::)

xSilverPhinx

So I plug in my earphones to listen to some music while I work and what do I get? Sound only on the left side!  :rant1: Added to that, it's too late to buy another pair, stores have closed for the day and the supermarket doesn't have any.

Essie Mae

Buy two pairs so that you always have a spare. I keep on set upstairs, one see downstairs and one in my handbag, (purse).
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on November 07, 2018, 11:56:45 PM
Buy two pairs so that you always have a spare. I keep on set upstairs, one see downstairs and one in my handbag, (purse).

That's a good idea.  ;D