News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Tattoos

Started by xSilverPhinx, May 26, 2019, 03:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Buddy on May 29, 2019, 03:25:23 PM
I don't have tattoos yet, but once it's healed make sure you use sunscreen! UV is a big cause of tattoo fading so protecting it will keep the ink nice longer.

I certainly intend to!  :thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2019, 03:26:21 PM
Quote from: Davin on May 29, 2019, 02:53:07 PM
I wash mine, then use Aquaphor and tape it up in plastic wrap for about two weeks. Then I use some lotion to keep it moisturized for a few weeks after.

I tried taping them up in plastic wrap but it didn't stick. :P I kept that on for only about an hour before getting frustrated and taking it off.  ::)
Do you have thick cloth tape? That's what I use, it's about 4cm wide. Also, it's not clear in what I wrote, but I washed them daily, I just do that for about two weeks.

Another option, is there are some plastic things made specifically for tattoos that are supposed to be able to last the whole time. I was only able to get it to last about five days then the second one I put on barely lasted a day, so I went back to plastic wrap and tape.

I think a regular old bandage is fine too, it's just that the tattoos I got were too big for those.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on May 29, 2019, 04:22:33 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2019, 03:26:21 PM
I wash mine, then use Aquaphor and tape it up in plastic wrap for about two weeks. Then I use some lotion to keep it moisturized for a few weeks after.

I tried taping them up in plastic wrap but it didn't stick. :P I kept that on for only about an hour before getting frustrated and taking it off.  ::)
Do you have thick cloth tape? That's what I use, it's about 4cm wide. Also, it's not clear in what I wrote, but I washed them daily, I just do that for about two weeks.

Another option, is there are some plastic things made specifically for tattoos that are supposed to be able to last the whole time. I was only able to get it to last about five days then the second one I put on barely lasted a day, so I went back to plastic wrap and tape.

I think a regular old bandage is fine too, it's just that the tattoos I got were too big for those.

Yes, I have cloth tape, but I don't know, it kept rubbing against my skin and just didn't stick. I wore a loose shirt and removed the plastic wrap and it feels way more comfortable. No pain whatsoever and even the itching is starting to subside.

Next tattoo I get I can try buying a new cloth tape, maybe that stuff is way past its validity period. ::)

I just feel it should breathe. :grin:

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 30, 2019, 11:23:13 PM
Yes, I have cloth tape, but I don't know, it kept rubbing against my skin and just didn't stick. I wore a loose shirt and removed the plastic wrap and it feels way more comfortable. No pain whatsoever and even the itching is starting to subside.

Next tattoo I get I can try buying a new cloth tape, maybe that stuff is way past its validity period. ::)

I just feel it should breathe. :grin:
Breathing is good, just don't let anything touch it until it's healed.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Siz

What is your Tat, Dav?

Hello again, BTW...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Davin

I only have these two:

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on October 28, 2019, 03:28:28 PM
I only have these two:

A cat with bat wings? I like it.
My man makes a joke about bat wings: Whenever I stretch my arms he says: What, your bat wings are dying to get out?
:vampire:

:hahaha...no:

:sulk:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

That crow is awesome Davin. I'm too hairy for a tattoo to stand out but I've been looking for a goood crow patch. They all seem to get the colors wrong. Why, oh why, do they feel the need to put a brown belly on a crow?!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Awesome tattoos, Davin! I'm curious about the winged cat...is there a special meaning to that design?

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on October 28, 2019, 06:48:45 PM
A cat with bat wings? I like it.
My man makes a joke about bat wings: Whenever I stretch my arms he says: What, your bat wings are dying to get out?
:vampire:

:hahaha...no:

:sulk:

Quote from: jumbojak on October 28, 2019, 10:30:56 PM
That crow is awesome Davin. I'm too hairy for a tattoo to stand out but I've been looking for a goood crow patch. They all seem to get the colors wrong. Why, oh why, do they feel the need to put a brown belly on a crow?!
That guy that did mine had some good work, he normally did photo real stuff. He was also from Texas, but was in town for a tattoo conventions. That one took 12 hours, all in one sitting. Well with a break for dinner. It was done all in black with some white highlights.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 29, 2019, 02:21:07 AM
Awesome tattoos, Davin! I'm curious about the winged cat...is there a special meaning to that design?
Not really, I liked the design because of the skull and the cat with bat wings. Enough to have it stabbed into my skin. The crow has more significant meaning, because of how much I was (and am) inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's works.

Buddy

That looks badass Davin. I love the batcat
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Davin

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on October 29, 2019, 02:04:11 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 29, 2019, 02:21:07 AM
Not really, I liked the design because of the skull and the cat with bat wings. Enough to have it stabbed into my skin. The crow has more significant meaning, because of how much I was (and am) inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's works.

Cool, it's a good a reason as any! :P

xSilverPhinx

I'm thinking of getting this symbol tattooed on my arm, next to the other two:

It has a number of meanings I like, the main one being the Gestalt law of closure in visual perception:

QuoteThe principle of closure refers to the mind's tendency to see complete figures or forms even if a picture is incomplete, partially hidden by other objects, or if part of the information needed to make a complete picture in our minds is missing. For example, if part of a shape's border is missing people still tend to see the shape as completely enclosed by the border and ignore the gaps. This reaction stems from our mind's natural tendency to recognize patterns that are familiar to us and thus fill in any information that may be missing.

It's an abstract representation but I want to get this tattooed as a reminder to stay humble because our brains fill in a lot of gaps in information, not all which might be correct.

It's also the symbol for uppercase Delta, one signifying 'change' in some disciplines. 

And last but not least, the triangle pointing upward looks like such a powerfully resilient shape with its broad base, like no mere breeze can topple it over.