News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Atheists need to be more accessible

Started by periwinklefish, January 17, 2011, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

periwinklefish

I think we should all learn to be more accessible, and that being able to really relate to others who are not of the same mind is key to showing our humanity to the world.  

What do you think?  What types of things do you think we could do on a daily basis to make this happen?

KDbeads

I already do more charity work and such in my community than most of the religious....  But I am still shunned and talked down to as if I'm scum.  I don't really think it matters to many as they have already formed their opinions and are not willing to change them or even conceive of a different reality.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Whitney

I've participated in numerous charitable events with the Fellowship of Freethought and the Texas Freethought Convention also puts part of their focus on supporting a charitable cause.  The OkAthiests out of Oklahoma City have various charitable activities on their list. I think following similar models in others areas would be good atheist PR.

As for a daily basis, acting like a normal person and not starting a huge debate simply because a friend mentioned god in passing probably would go a long way.  I think part of the negative stereotype is caused by those that flip out and insist on proving someone is stupid if the person simply mentions something religious when talking about themselves (like I hope god's looking out for me).  Yet, others say screw PR we need to stomp out the religious stupidity (I fully disagree).

Guardian85

Being a normal person, and letting people see that just because we don't believe we are not all  amoral hedonists (mostly) is probably the easiest way.
Creating ateist organisations and joining such could also be a good way, but in the words of Richard Dawkins: "Trying to organise atheists is much like trying to herd cats..."

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

fester30

Quote from: "Guardian85"Being a normal person, and letting people see that just because we don't believe we are not all  amoral hedonists (mostly) is probably the easiest way.
Creating ateist organisations and joining such could also be a good way, but in the words of Richard Dawkins: "Trying to organise atheists is much like trying to herd cats..."

Considering how many amoral hedonists are religious, you'd think that wouldn't be an issue.  Stereotypes are a very hard thing to shake, and take decades of education and exposure.  Fundamental theists have their views about homosexuals, atheists, women, and often racial or ethnic minorities, that are very unflattering.
I have seen stereotypes the other way.  Some atheists and even some modern, reformed theists think all fundamentalists are homophobic, sexist, racist, and in favor of stoning atheists.  The difference is the stereotypes about fundamentalists are based upon abortion clinic bombings, white supremacy groups, tea party riots...er...meetings, women wearing coverings from head to toe, and hijacking airplanes to fly them into buildings.  Notice I'm not just picking on fundamental Christians here.

Atheists often get lumped in with liberal terrorist groups like the ones who drive spikes into trees that could injure or kill loggers, or the ones who terrorize animal testing labs.  While this is unfair because such groups do not base their membership on any religious views or lack thereof, this is still the way fundamentalists see it.

More accessible, more visible, will both help, but it will take a very long time, and you won't convince everybody.  Especially since they think we're attacking their freedom of religion when we're really just defending our freedom from religion.

Guardian85

Oh, well...
The number of atheists and agnostics is going up around the world.
Maybe we are doing something right.... :D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Will

In day to day life, I just answer questions people pose. When people find out I'm a happy agnostic atheist, they can have questions and I do my best to be honest with them. It's not proselytizing by any means, but it's an openness to a connection. If people want to know about my beliefs, I'm happy to engage them.

I could stand to do more, though. I'm working very hard to get my business off the ground, but when everything gets settled, I would be honored to volunteer for Camp Quest here in California. Equally, I do very much want to join a larger atheist organization, though I've been remiss in setting aside time to research them in-depth.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

terranus

You're right. I guess maybe I should stop giving the bird to everyone I pass on the road that has a religious bumper sticker. Perhaps I should hold up a sign that invites them to a local free-thinkers meeting instead? lol
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Guardian85

That might be a good idea. By giving them the bird and insulting them, even when they deserve it, you stoop to their level.
We should rise above them, and invite them to join us up here in the enlightened age when they finally see how silly their beliefs are. :idea:

-Unknown Smartass-

terranus

Quote from: "Guardian85"That might be a good idea. By giving them the bird and insulting them, even when they deserve it, you stoop to their level.
We should rise above them, and invite them to join us up here in the enlightened age when they finally see how silly their beliefs are. ;)

Sorry, I've just never been very good at convincing people that something he/she is doing is stupid. Don't get me wrong, I can hold my own in a debate, and argue with someone until we're both blue in the face, but in the end the best result I usually ever acheive is "agreeing to disagree". Guess I'm just not a naturally convincing person.

There are other reasons I have trouble "opening" up to religionists and making myself more accessible. One reason is that, living in the South my entire life, I have come to detest people who continually preach about their religion/beliefs/politics. We are seriosly overrun with those types down here. I don't want people to try and convert me - so I see no reason to become a hypocrite and start preaching about my beliefs (or lack thereof) and trying to convert the religious into atheists. If a person has a moderate amount of intelligence and a thirst for real knowledge, then he/she will figure it out on their own eventually.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--