News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Madonna's Concert Crucifixion Draws Ire

Started by MommaSquid, August 04, 2006, 12:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaSquid

Link

ROME -- Madonna's plans to stage a mock crucifixion during a Sunday concert in Rome have drawn fire from religious leaders, who have condemned the stunt as "an act of open hostility" toward the Roman Catholic Church.
During the concerts of her "Confessions" world tour, the American diva appears crucified on a mirrored cross while wearing a crown of thorns.
The prospect of the scene being repeated at the concert in Rome's Olympic stadium, some 2 miles from the Vatican, prompted Catholic officials to denounce the act as a publicity stunt in bad taste.
"To crucify yourself in the city of the pope and the martyrs is an act of open hostility," Cardinal Ersilio Tonini was quoted as saying in La Stampa daily on Wednesday. "It's a scandal created on purpose by astute merchants to attract publicity."
Muslim and Jewish leaders also condemned the fake crucifixion.
"It's not the first time Madonna stages such an act. We deplore it, we feel it is an act of bad taste," said Mario Scialoja, the president of the Muslim World League in Italy.
"We express solidarity with the Catholic world," said Riccardo Pacifici, spokesman for Rome's Jewish community. "It's a disrespectful act, and to do it in Rome is even worse."
In May, the Catholic League in the United States expressed its discontent for the stunt after Madonna performed it at the tour's opening concert in Inglewood, California.
"Knock off the Christ-bashing," Catholic League president Bill Donohue said in a statement. "It's just pathetic."

Aullios

If newspapers were still printed on movable type, every press would have a permanent headline that says "Madonna Pisses Off Church."

Asmodean Prime

I personally think that a lot of what Madonna does is obscene

I myself am not a madonna fan, or a catholic, but I think she exploits religion for financial and superstar reasons.

But you don't mention your own view in this post, mommasquid.  What would that be, then?

Asmodean Prime

Holy smoke, batman!  Madonna single handedly united the world's major religions!  It's a miracle, and obviously a sign from god.

Big Mac

I think Madonna is fake and she's playing all those religious types for fools. She wants you guys to get mad so you'll give her another shot of 15 minutes. She's overstayed about a week in Andy Warhol quote. Madonna's music is the caricature of posers. An effigy of wanna-bes. And a paradigm of washed-ups. I love how she talks about Kaballah like she's so much better than all of us, with her faux English accent. YOu don't pick up an accent when you're 84 and you emigrate to a new country.

As you can tell Onlyme, I kind of wish Madonna did the world a favor and got hit by a car.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

MikeyV

Quote from: "onlyme"I myself am not a madonna fan, or a catholic, but I think she exploits religion for financial and superstar reasons.

Unlike, say, Jimmy Swaggart, Pat Robertson, Terry Meeuwsen, Jim Bakker, Oral Roberts, Jerry Falwell, Hal Lindsey, or Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins.  :roll:
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

MikeyV

Quote from: "Big Mac"I think Madonna is fake and she's playing all those religious types for fools. She wants you guys to get mad so you'll give her another shot of 15 minutes. She's overstayed about a week in Andy Warhol quote. Madonna's music is the caricature of posers. An effigy of wanna-bes. And a paradigm of washed-ups. I love how she talks about Kaballah like she's so much better than all of us, with her faux English accent. YOu don't pick up an accent when you're 84 and you emigrate to a new country.

As you can tell Onlyme, I kind of wish Madonna did the world a favor and got hit by a car.

Momma always said "Life is like a virgin. Plastic is as plastic does."
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "MikeyV"
Quote from: "onlyme"I myself am not a madonna fan, or a catholic, but I think she exploits religion for financial and superstar reasons.

Unlike, say, Jimmy Swaggart, Pat Robertson, Terry Meeuwsen, Jim Bakker, Oral Roberts, Jerry Falwell, Hal Lindsey, or Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins.  :roll:

MikeyV:  have I ever expressed a support for pat robertson, jimmy swaggart, etc?  I think most of these TV evangelists are FAKE, MONEY GRABBING imposters, who use the gullibility of needy people to fleece innocent people in God's name.

Bigmac wrote:
"As you can tell Onlyme, I kind of wish Madonna did the world a favor and got hit by a car."

Ha ha.  I don't have no time for madonna either, as to whether I think she should be hit by a car...well....I can't agree to that, can I?  But I DO wish she would just SHUT UP AND GO AWAY!  Actually, this is a very mild version of what I really think.

Does that make my position clear?

Big Mac

Tilton always makes me laugh, and also makes me hate Dallas even more. Abooo sond shemma.....hahahaa

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Big Mac"Tilton always makes me laugh, and also makes me hate Dallas even more. Abooo sond shemma.....hahahaa

Listen, Bigmac, I don't understand about Tilton...or abooo sond shemma...

we don't comprehend your culture, cos we are a superior race, as I said before, and don't concern ourselves with your petty squabbling..

Now...Dallas, I DO understand, along with Knotts Landing and Dynasty

Big Mac

Yeah with your mince meat pies and your fish and chips and your boring life, you English really got us. Who's a super-power and who's a little bitch to the said superpower? Oh you guys are our little bitches.

Asmodean Prime

Ha ha ha..  I can't type for laughing...

Asmodean Prime

Bigmac, and who's country's intelligence depends on OUR data gathering information centre at Menwith Hill, North Yorkshire, so that YOUR NSA can spy on YOUR american citizens?

Ha ha ha

Big Mac

Eh, go worship Jesus or something.

Big Mac

Eh, go worship Jesus or something.