News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Atheists, do you agree with this?

Started by Ransom, November 23, 2011, 10:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on November 27, 2011, 01:39:40 PM

Yes!  I noticed her on a few threads.  I hope she comes back. 

I hope she's OK, I wouldn't be brave or optomistic enough to do what she had planned.

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 27, 2011, 11:54:22 AM
There was a poster who used to frequent here named Medusa. She considered herself a Satanist and your "code" sounds somewhat similiar to hers.

Laveyan Satanists I've conversed with do follow a code of self assertion, but from what I've seen this doesn't often show itself as a selfish / evil outlook - in fact quite the opposite. Not even Satanists are this selfish because there's just no overall personal gain in it. We'd have more to fear from the ideas of Ransom than any Satanist.

Satanists really aren't that different from most other Atheists - we all have a social conscience, it's just that Satanists wrap it up as part of their personal gain.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

From my brief looking up LaVeyan Satanism, it just looks like an atheistic branch that became a religion, with codified humanistic beliefs, religious rituals and formed communities. 

One thing I like about them is that, while calling themselves "gods" (though not in the way that the religious use the word), they focus more on empowering themselves. It's interesting.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Scissorlegs on November 27, 2011, 07:09:32 PM
We'd have more to fear from the ideas of Ransom than any Satanist.

I agree. I'm wary of fear-based drives, and some of the people that it acts on. Some just aren't mature enough to do something without wanting some external incentive, such as the reward of heaven or the avoidance of hell. Others don't seem to be mentally robust enough to deal with a godless world without the ultimate judge (and trust me, even being an atheist, I can really sympathise with the idea of an ultimate judge ;) ), an existence based on the strict rules of an leading tyrannical authority. God forbid people should have to figure out and take the consequences for something themselves!

I don't know exactly what Ransom's case is.

What can I say? Fearful people frighten me. They do stupid things ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

not your typical...

I'm not an Atheist but even I think that it's a completely wrong way of depicting them. Most of the Atheist I know want to better all human kind all over the world, not just build themselves a shiny tall pedestal. Actually, that sounds more like something a corrupt Christian would do, and there are too many of those out there. As for Ayn Rand, no offense to anyone who idolizes her, but she was a sick and pathetic person who dearly needed mental help.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Squid

BullyforBronto

Quote from: Ransom on November 23, 2011, 10:23:24 PM
QuoteLive for yourself...there's no one else
More worth living for
Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more

Basically, do you agree with this little snatch of RUSH ANTHEM (rock on). The lyrics of this song
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rush/anthem.html were written by an Atheist, and portray his Atheist view on things. And you?

I don't know how you jumped to the conclusion that this statement portrays the lyricist's atheist view. The verse you quoted says nothing about a lack of belief in a deity.

Rather, it seems to be reminiscent of some sort of far right leaning mantra. In fact, I couldn't help but be reminded of the recent GOP debates after reading these lines. You know, the GOP – the party of God and country that loves to cut social programs and espouses the importance of pulling one's self up by his bootstraps?

Melmoth

Don't agree with the lyrics. Also, they don't reflect atheism, they reflect the kind of Western individualist, meritocratic dirge you find in self-help books.

Compassion and selflessness have nothing to do with cheesy religious spirituality or even with right and wrong: they're a practical necessity for living. Put simply, the way we treat others is reflective of the way we treat ourselves, and vice versa. You cannot disregard others, fail to find anything to admire about them, fail to care for them and forgive them for their faults and weaknesses, and expect to remain above that harsh judgement yourself. Your whole sense of identity will fall victim to its own unforgiving puritanism, and you will end up just as self-loathing as you are misanthropic.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

history_geek

It is better to die for the Emperor then to live for yourself!

...what? Oh, wrong forum, sorry.

But one a more serious note, I only need to read this: "Live for yourself...there's no one else", and headdesk. Simply because it's utter BS. Of course, if you interpite to mean that "there is no sky daddy", it's still pure bull shite.

We. Are. Not. Alone! you have a thing called "neck" attached to your head, use it to look around, and stop being an arse....(<---to who ever actaully thinks like these lyrics depict....)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

not your typical...

Quote from: history_geek on December 06, 2011, 09:20:24 PM
But one a more serious note, I only need to read this: "Live for yourself...there's no one else", and headdesk. Simply because it's utter BS. Of course, if you interpite to mean that "there is no sky daddy", it's still pure bull shite.

We. Are. Not. Alone! you have a thing called "neck" attached to your head, use it to look around, and stop being an arse....(<---to who ever actaully thinks like these lyrics depict....)

Couldn't agree more, HG. The song in and of itself makes any self-respecting human being want to faceplam, let alone how terrible it must be for the atheist who are persecuted because of it.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.